Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to open...

jacketjoed

Hey guys,

Just switched over from production to open and looking for all of your tips, tricks, hints and wisdom. This has been a big change, have shot a couple matches and practices. My biggest issue so far is finding the dot when coming into new positions. Been practicing it a lot in dry fire but still having trouble.

Thank in advance!

Joe

The 90 degree mount will be much easier to find, especially since you are more used to iron sights. I had the same problem with the upright and it took a lllllooooonnnnnnggggg time for me to get to where I was comfortable with it. Then I went back to iron sights, I had problems there. It may look funny but they are much better for sight acquisition and transfer.

The 90 degree mount will be much easier to find, especially since you are more used to iron sights. I had the same problem with the upright and it took a lllllooooonnnnnnggggg time for me to get to where I was comfortable with it. Then I went back to iron sights, I had problems there. It may look funny but they are much better for sight acquisition and transfer.

+1!

Whenever I loose the dot, after movement, I bring the gun back to high ready, push it back out and the dot appears. Of course, this is something I practiced a good bit when I moved to open.

not being able to find the dot when you draw is a good indicator that you have indexing issues ... in Brian Enos' book he outlines 5 exercises to master the perfect index .... well worth the significant amount of time required to master them ....

• 2 weeks later...

Try incorporating that into your dry fire. Set up a target, draw to it, and then move to another "position" (I like to move through a door in my house or something) and see what you need to do to have the dot.

Also make sure that the gun is up and ready to shoot before entering the position. That way you'll have the dot before you have to fire, not after, which costs you a lot of time.