Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR chamber cleaning question

david8989

I hate to even have to ask this since ive been shooting precision bolts actions for so long. When you clean your precision AR chamber how do you do it? Do you do it the old military way with a wire chamber brush, solvent, and a mop? Or do you go with a wet mop followed by a dry mop and call it good? Thanks for humoring my noobish question.

Well JP Enterprises founder John Paul recommends using the old military style brass/steel bristle combo brushes on his $3000+ rifles. He even goes so far as to recommend chucking the brush in a cordless drill and spin at low RPM with the chamber brush in the chamber (soaked with solvent). Then follow up with a mop and/or q-tips to dry the solvent and that's it! This advice can be seen in the Gas Gun Basics DVD (came with my JP-15).

While I don't have the balls to run the chamber brush in a power drill, I certainly have no fear of hand spinning the brush. Just push the brush in through the lugs with a good, fixed handle rod (upper receiver guide is nice to have, such as the one J. Dewey provides with their AR-15 cleaning kit). Spin the brush clockwise in the chamber so the attachment doesn't back off the threaded end, maybe 5-10 good rotations. I found that it is easier to pass the steel bristles in and out of the locking lugs by rotating as you push the brush into the chamber, as well as pulling it back out.

Don't worry about the steel bristles, they are very soft, and the locking lugs/chamber are extremely hard. You couldn't scratch that steel if you tried. Just be careful while passing the brush through the receiver, and you shouldn't have any problems.

I follow this method every time I clean the bore, which is every 200-300 rounds.

Edited by AlbinLee

I wet it and scrub it with a 9mm or 40 brush. I dry it and look at it with a bright light, especially the leade. Once in a match I got a piece of filth in the leade and nothing would chamber because of it. Kinda' hosed my stage. After cleaning the chamber ( after every match or plinking ) I just bore snake the rest.

Edited by SF1911