Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range backpack heads up

Flash74

After searching for a decent backpack for the range that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I think I have finally one. This is a tackle backpack from Bass Pro Shops. It is on sale for 39.99 without the plastic tackle boxes until August second. When I checked it out at the local Bass Pro I was surprised at its construction. The pack felt well built with good zippers that have nice pulls on them, good stitching and it felt heavy for its size similar to my maxpedition backpacks. It is comparable in size to the DAA medium backpack. It is constructed of 600 denier nylon, has a cooler for the top section and the bottom opens from the front to access ammo. The pack does not have much structure to it so I built a box out of 3/8" plywood to prevent any collapse. This allowed the front access to zipper open and closed easily and the drinks in the top sit on top of the box. I can fit 6-20oz gatorades in the top along with a small ice pack. I used it for a match on Sunday and was happy with how it worked. Time will tell if it holds up. For colors you have a choice of red, red or red. It's the "Bass Pro Shops XPS Stalker Backpack" if you are interested.

post-49921-0-25228500-1438024873_thumb.j

post-49921-0-42264400-1438024885_thumb.j

Thanks for the info. I'd been thinking about a backpack type range bag, but most of them are pricey. Just how big is it/how much stuff can you fit in it? I have a ton of crap that I lug around in my current range bag (Midway bag). I'd be interested to see some actual pictures of it showing how guns/ammo/etc. fit in it :cheers:

Sorry, I have been away for a while.

Philip, the box is simply a top, bottom and sides made out of 3/8" plywood. The pieces for the top and bottom are 12"x7", the sides are 6.5"x7". The total outside dimension is 12"Wx 7"Hx7"D. That is as big as I could go. It was a chore getting it into the opening and into the bottom of the bag.

Russell92, for a match I don't take a lot of stuff. I can fit 6-20oz gatorades, small ice pack and some energy bars in the top cooler. I carry a gunshot kit, Oakley glasses case, spare set of glasses, glasses cleaning kit, ear muffs, 3-pairs ear plugs, pistol in rug, 6-140mm mags, 2-100rd 40cal ammo boxes, small tool kit, small parts kit, bug spray, sunscreen, towel, tissues, keys, phone and can of dip in the rest of the pockets and bottom compartment. Other items that I would use for a day of practice (stapler, pasters, larger tools, etc.) are kept in another bag that stays in the truck.

I will try and get some pictures this evening if I remember.

I bought a GPS and returned it as I could not fit everything I wanted in it. Using a 5.11 rush 24 now.

I went the other way I found if I use the 5.11 packs (24) I put too much gear in it So this one seems ok at the moment, having said that I don't usually take more than one gun and ammo for it to the range, I'm more of a match shooter than a practicer :wacko:.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked mine up today. It was backordered and I got the notification yesterday that it was available for pickup in the store. I'm not sure yet whether I want to keep it. I like the idea of a backpack range bag for matches, but it's a bit smaller than I would have liked. I don't want to have to keep moving my stuff back and forth between this bag for matches and my regular Midway range bag for when I go to the range and take more stuff.

Are there any other backpack range bags that aren't super expensive? Maybe under $75? I may just keep this one and see if I can make it work since it was only $40, but would like something with a bit more storage.