Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Classic IPSC Division

happyal

Hello,

I hope to be shooting my first 1911 Classic IPSC match this weekend, I have one question about mag reloads.

I normally shoot Standard division, and I wouldn't ever let my mags run out and lock the slide back, is it the same in classic division? I'm worried about only have 8 rounds in the mag?

What do you guys do, will you let your gun lock back constantly, or reload before that happens?

Exactly. You start with 9. Reload every 6-8 rnds depending on COF. Good rule of thumb is to reload anytime you are moving more than a step or 2 and not shooting.

Exactly. You start with 9. Reload every 6-8 rnds depending on COF. Good rule of thumb is to reload anytime you are moving more than a step or 2 and not shooting.

This is why you see if fooling with an extra magazine at load and make ready.

Insert mag, load chamber. Then swap magazines for a full one.

Shooting IPSC I would shoot minor 100% of the time.

Way to many times you need all 8 or 9 rounds on a speed shoot with steel, where an extra second will crush you.

Yes both Rob and TJ shot minor.

I shot minor as well and if it wasn't for a bunch of gun trouble I would have still gotten my butt kicked by them.

USPSA, it depends on the match.

Just really slow, my 1911 is a standard Colt Series 70, so no mag well. So I had to be really careful to line up the mag and the gun. It just too forever every time I reloaded.

My colt has a few other problems for IPSC shooting too, the sights aren't the best, and the mag release is hard for me to get too.

I'll be ordering a new pistol and doing a PX with my Colt soon.

happyal, the drill where you work on speeding up the time to get a fresh mag to the magwell's mouth is good. If you can reach down to the belt and get the fresh mag ready to insert fast, you will buy yourself a little time to make sure alignment is right and then push the mag in.