Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A Questions

RJH

I was thinking about buying an M1A for 3 gun, and had some questions about them, particularly the Loaded model. What kind of accuracy are you guys getting? What kind of longevity do they have? How many rounds do you have through yours? Are there any common issues with the M1A?

Thanks

Edited by RJH

I shoot an M14 clone for Multigun's Heavy Metal Limited division. At first, I was using an M1A Loaded, and I think it's probably the best one to get. I'm now using an equivalent, but in the guise of a James River Armory "Winchester M14." Not only is accuracy easily in the range we need, but the numbers on the elevation dial are spot on if you use the right ammo, so in many cases, you can eliminate holdover concerns. I know my clicks, and have spun it up in the middle of a course of fire, too.

Longevity? You'll certainly never wear it out. After a few thousand (?) your barrel will be about the accuracy of a Standard instead of a Loaded; which won't hurt a bit for this kind of shooting.

I've not experienced anything I would consider to be a common "issue," but we do have a slight disadvantage on magazine changes taking a little bit more time, but most stages are not really affected by this significantly, and the cool factor makes up for it. Everyone that shoots Multigun in Southern Utah and Southern Nevada knows my rifle. They don't know me, except that I'm the guy with the M14. The other issue I can think of right now is length. You appreciate it when you aim downrange, but you also notice it in a hallway and around barricades.

Are you planning on Limited or Optics division? I'm building up another M14 clone, this one being an SAI M1A Scout, for the Optics division.

I was thinking about buying an M1A for 3 gun, and had some questions about them, particularly the Loaded model. What kind of accuracy are you guys getting? What kind of longevity do they have? How many rounds do you have through yours? Are there any common issues with the M1A?

Thanks

I am hoping Kurt and or Bryan chime in as they are probably the only guys on here

that have as much or more experience with the M1A than I do.

Accuracy 2MOA with quality ammo and a bedded action in a stiff stock.

Barrel will last as long as any 308 barrel used in 3 gun comps.

The only failure I have had in six years of competition was an extractor spring going south.

Love this platform! (as an Iron sight rifle) They do not scope well.

Barrel life around 5-6000 rounds.

Accuracy can be sub moa with propper bedding and tuning.

On my rifle I'm on my 6th barrel.

Magazine changes can be done as fast or faster than an AR. Just do a bit of searching, I've posted the technique many times as has Brian and maybe Pat has a video.

Most common problem. The owner not knowing how to maintain it, and miss matching powder burn rate to bullet weight. Keep your gas system tight!!!

... They do not scope well.

They scope extremely well. Just not cheaply.

I agree that I love it as an iron-sight platform though. I'll shoot Limited every chance I get.

The ARMS #18 mount is my favorite for scoping. It's the lowest and when quick-release rings are used, it's very easy to remove the scope and the low rail doesn't affect the classic lines very much.

Edited by MAC702

Yes synthetic....which is a nylon BTW, Still needs at least a two stage bedding process, the only thing is it is hard to get enough down tension at the front feral to really stabilize the barrel without getting the receiver and trigger group way out of square, but it can be done. The trick is finding people who really know what they are doing on an M-14.

... They do not scope well.

They scope extremely well. Just not cheaply.

I am fully aware of the mounts and receivers that make optics viable, but even then your cheek weld is way high! Not my cup o tea.

I have 1/8" cheek pad to make a perfect weld on a 30mm Leupold scope with the ARMS #18 mount.

I agree that most mounts, including the more popular Sadlack and Basset need some help.

But yes, I still agree it is a better iron-sight rifle than most any.

An 1/8" of an inch? I need several times that to get a solid weld with irons. When shooting service rifle I use my thumb as a cheek rest.

We are obviously built differently.

p554261976-4.jpg

p940579963-4.jpg

p401333008-4.jpg

Edited by P.E. Kelley

No mount or scope will live for long on any M-14 type rifle. The receiver flexes way too much when fired. Crane used to weld on the Sadlak mount and after a while it would break. Many mounting system have been tried, even a dedicated receiver, and in the end they all fail, or the scope fails. One of the best iron sight rifles made, if built right, but never a good platform for an optic. As for Pat and his M-14,s....it was the rifle and the rifle prop. When two things come together perfectly you tend to get perfection. :)

Got mine last week! But a question to Pat or Kurt. Do you have them bedded like for a service rifle, or something different? And does the bedding hold up for the abuse we dish out on a rifle?

I am interested in what Pat comes up with on this one. I know what I would do, but then again I used to build them for the all service teams.

What I know about bedding I learned from Kurt and reading everything I can about the subject...and I still suck at it!

Edited by P.E. Kelley