Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The habitual non-resetter - procedural or DQ?

robbiec

Guess I've been lucky. We've occasionally had people who need to be prompted or educated, but nobody has been really unresponsive. Pretty much everywhere I shoot the need to participate in the work is covered at the shooter's meeting and again when the RO does the stage briefing.

Why even have formalized squads at all?

Let the shooters exchange their cell phone numbers (for texting purposes) or email addresses, for those guys who want to shoot together.

Then just set a window of time for sign up at the match. Whatever clique that wants to shoot together will email or text each other, and all agree to be there at 10 AM sharp. If there is some guy or guys who don't paste or reset, then just don't let them in on the emails or text messages.

If that non-paster/non-resetter guy happens to show up at the same time, you could just BS him with "Oh, sorry, we have 5 guys already, and that makes an optimum squad size." Or be totally blunt, "We don't want guys who won't help paste and reset on our squad."

Of course, if you have to have formalized squads because of iPad/Nook or whatever else electronic scoring that has to be uploaded prior to the match, and that means shooters have to sign up and register a day or three before the match, then never mind... I guess my idea to very casual laid back squadding will not work.

We live in a part of the country where most everyone chips in and helps, to the point where we take turns pasting because there is too many people down range at one time. I guess we are lucky. That being said, we ALL have the few that come there to socialize more than work. Too me, I have just accepted it and not let it bother me. I have enough of my own issues to worry about rather than what some one else is doing or not doing. Unless you are seriously hard pressed to get the job done, move on in my opinion, it is easier to go through life relaxed than looking for every stress point. maybe this should be posted in the Zen section. :devil:

This is an administrative issue, IMO. If someone is a chronic slacker, it needs to be brought to the attention of the MD who has authority over the match. The MD should speak to the shooter and clarify the expectation that all shooters participate in pasting and resetting for squad-mates. If he continues to slack, he should be barred from shooting at the club again, or for a period of time.

I find that many of the fellows in colorful shirts don't really spend a lot of time doing it. Those mag cleaning sessions and pontificating on "what they saw" eats up their time.

That's why they should wear camo. It's much too easy to see when they're goofing off, or leaving before tear down :goof:

We live in a part of the country where most everyone chips in and helps, to the point where we take turns pasting because there is too many people down range at one time. I guess we are lucky. That being said, we ALL have the few that come there to socialize more than work. Too me, I have just accepted it and not let it bother me. I have enough of my own issues to worry about rather than what some one else is doing or not doing. Unless you are seriously hard pressed to get the job done, move on in my opinion, it is easier to go through life relaxed than looking for every stress point. maybe this should be posted in the Zen section. :devil:

Me too. Life's too short. Where I am pretty much everyone helps. Some pickup brass, some patch, some do steel, some score etc. at different points in the match people need a break or need to do something else which is fine. And yes there is the odd person or two who do less than their share and some who basically do nothing. Usually they get a pep talk from someone and they often find no one helps pickup brass after they've shot but beyond that any other sanction/punishment is just a waste of energy in my eyes.

As I said. Life's too short. Yeah I get pissed sometimes at the end of the day when everyone feels lazy and find myself patching a whole stage on my own but it's easier and better for me to just let it go...

I ran into this earlier this year with a husband/wife team who didn't do squat at any of the matches they went to. I had the misfortune of squading with them at a couple of matches and witnessed first hand their laziness. I tried my best to give them the whole "This is a volunteer sport and everyone has to pitch in to make it happen" squad mate talk to prod them into working but it never stuck. Then they happened to show up at the club match I am the MD at and I happened to be doing registration that day. When they signed up I told them point blank that their entry fee does not entitle them to doing NOTHING other than shoot when its their turn. I told them that they are REQUIRED to help work the stage just like everyone else and if that is a problem, there is the door. They seemed shocked at being called out but agreed to work and paid their entry fee. I observed them during the match actually working in taping targets and resetting steel. But shortly after that match they both stopped shooting the local matches. I guess they finally got the message of "Shape up or Ship out".

21b.jpg

I bust my ass at matches in all the roles.

I also have a deep commanding voice and have no problem bellowing out "PASTERS!" from time to time while making eye contact with anyone loafing in the shade. Seems to work. I also have no problem having a quick 1-on-1 discussing expectations and how this works - primarily with new folk - who haven't gotten with the program.

One the other hand a few people have obvious age or health issues or might be prone to heat stroke - I'll make allowances, pick up their mags and try to assist them. In general I'm happy they choose to come shoot with us.