Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I take a CCW course this weekend and was wondering how everyone carried their guns. I'm not interested in a revolver so that won't be on the poll. I like the single actions not sure about the cocked and locked thing. I really like Para LDA's, real nice trigger. Whats everyones take on this. Which is better

To me no round in the chamber defeats the purpose of the gun but was interested just to see how many do this or at at least will admit to this.

Flyin40

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock 26 or 19 or both with loaded chamber and mag to capacity. If you are going to carry a gun you may have to deploy at a moments notice, then accept the responsibility of carrying it ready to shoot. Your platform, support, and concealment must be durable, strong, and safe. Read that as good familiar holster with some sort of retention, strong and firm belt, and clothing that doesn't scream "hey look at my gun".

If God had intended us to carry other than cocked & locked, he would not have inspired JMB to build the 1911. ;)

I actually also carry a DA now and then. I have a NAA Guardian in .32 that fills in when the .45 can't go along. I have yet to find an outfit I can't carry that one with. Although this is probably because I refuse to wear a Speedo. :D

If God had intended us to carry other than cocked & locked, he would not have inspired JMB to build the 1911. ;)

I actually also carry a DA now and then. I have a NAA Guardian in .32 that fills in when the .45 can't go along. I have yet to find an outfit I can't carry that one with. Although this is probably because I refuse to wear a Speedo. :D

I also have and carry the NAA Guardian for the same reason stated by Kimel. Fits right in jeans or Dockers. I can carry it inside my Speedo as it is lost and totally insignificant beside my "Big Gun."

Winter time carry is a full size 1911 summertime is a g26 iwb. Both are always carried ready to do the dance. There is no point in having your primary weapon in a state of unreadiness.

Craig

I ALWAYS have the chamber "occupied" :D

I used to carry a HK P7M8, which is super safe to carry with a chambered round and is always single action, but sold it to feed my shooting habit :wacko:

Now a carry a Glock 22, and of course ahve the chamber "occupied" as earlier stated, but I dont feel nearly as comfortable with the Glock, I am sure that time will change that!

Voted for DA with full chamber, although technically my Glock 36 is not DA. If my PDW was a 1911, I would carry it C&L.

Get what works for you, the one that will go with you at all times or most of the time (Better .380 in pocket than .45 at home). Practice with you PDW too: my G36 doesn't behave the same as my 40 Edge. Use quality (comfortable) carry gear.

Good luck!

I don't really understand why anyone would carry a gun without a bullet in the chamber or with the hammer down....

No bullet in the chamber would seem to decrease your chances considerably...

Hammer down - Double action or LDA?

It defeats the purpose of a carry gun if you need it fast.

There are alot of people that have problems with the idea of a carrying a gun in the cocked and locked position. Thats why you would carry it with the hammer down.

That means you carrying your gun with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety on. Alot of people don't like that idea.

Jake,

It would be like your in the ready position, but you carry your gun the whole day that way, in and out of cars , in the store etc. Of course the holster would be different to prevent access to the trigger in case you bumped the safety off.

Thats why I'm seeing what everyone does. Regardless of a SA or DA I will carry with a round in the chamber ready to fire.

Flyin40

I used to carry a 1911 (3") cocked and locked. There turned out to be too many problems:

-Hammer and saftey snag on stuff.

-Gun is too pretty to bang around.

-I've taken several self defense classes and they hate the 1911 platform.

-Cocked hammer seems to scare the crap out of the girlfriend, and others who might see it.

-If anyone else sees a Glock, they think I'm a cop, no fuss. A 1911 and they don't understand.

-If I do have to shoot (or even draw it), I will likely lose the gun to the coppers. i'd hate to see a $800 or $900 Kimber go to the evidence room. The $450 Glock, well, c ya.

I'm carrying a Glock 36, and therefore I'm going to use it in IDPA. The 1911s have become IPSC and Bullseye gamers.

I voted DA with one in the tube (why carry a gun without a round in the chamber?). Hammer down only if it is a true DA (Sig, Beretta, Para etc). No point in carrying if it is not ready to go. You shouldn't draw it unless you really think you're going to need it, then you don't have time to futz with slide racking.

SA with the hammer down is asking for trouble. I have seen more than a few NDs by people trying to lower the hammer on an SA, or trying to cock the hammer. Try doing that under stress (EEEEEEK). Many 1911s will ignite a primer if the hammer is dropped from less than half cock. Take a pistol class and they'll probably prove this to you.

Self defense instructors hate the 1911 platform???

I've taken classes from some of the best and they would recommend nothing else. That's interesting...

I agree with Jake!

As for people being scared seeing it, I thought it was supposed to be concealed? Who is gonna see it?

I've taken classes from some of the best and they would recommend nothing else. That's interesting...

I could see where this might happen - not everyone who wants to take a self defense couse is going to compulsively practice with their pistol. The 1911 is very user friendly - to the afficionado who practices with it. To the average beginner, it's more complicated than, say, a Glock, when it comes to using it under stress.

I still strongly feel that the best platform for someone who's not going to practice frequently with the pistol is a well tuned DA revolver. It goes bang when you pull the trigger, period - and you can't limp wrist it into a jam or anything. But, that's just me... ;)

When I could legally carry here in the fun filled state of IL, it was a Glock 36 with as many rounds as I couls squeeze into it.

Not having a round chambered makes the gun a hammer for at least an additional second or two. Not very smart.

Well, this is not too much hi-jack, Flyin40 asked.

Also, I know this is a religious subject so let's not go too crazy. Understand that I actually really like 1911's but the case goes something like this:

1911s

1) Are fragile/don't work. I don't really buy this with the modern stuff, but you have to admit until Kimber changed everybody's game, there was some crap. Those guns are still around so carrying one may not be a good idea. You had to spend big $$ or live with a smith to get a reliable example (see #2)

2)Are expensive. To get around #1, you have to spend lots of cash. Again, more modern guns are better, but can you really get a new $500 1911 that is as reliable as a Glock?

3) Have lots of things to snag.

4) Have low capacity. My G36 suffers from this, but it touches on another religious argument of 9mm vs 45ACP. If you carry a 9 you get a minimum of 10 rounds.

5) Can be defeated with by grabbing the hammer/getting clothing or debris or skin between the hammer and the firing pin.

6) Are heavy. mmmmmm sort of - a good alloy 3" is not too bad.

7) Are complicated/difficult to use in time of stress. The saftey must be taken off and the grip saftey depressed for the gun to fire. Most of us who compete in IDPA or IPSC have, at on time or another, had a problem with the gun not firing because of the grip saftey.

8) Because of the above, you have to practice religiously to be good and reliable with a 1911 (i.e. be LE or military), otherwise a 1911 is a problem.

Common recs that I hear is a DA covered hammer revolver or Glock.

OK, I know this will start a war, but Flyin40 asked. :blink:

Please don't let this degenerate in to name calling.

Most of us who compete in IDPA or IPSC have, at on time or another, had a problem with the gun not firing because of the grip saftey.

Maybe we should start a poll!

How many have grip safety's that actually work?

Most of us who compete in IDPA or IPSC have, at on time or another, had a problem with the gun not firing because of the grip saftey.

On a carry gun??? I hope every one has a working grip saftey on the 1911 style guns. :blink:

On a carry gun??? I hope every one has a working grip saftey on the 1911 style guns. :blink:

I was referring to Competition guns