Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues reloading 9mm

Utah Shooter

So I have a lot of range pick up brass that I am trying to process/reload for next weeks camping trip. I have a bunch of mixed head stamp that my primers are not seating properly.

This is the equipment being used

1. Lee hand primer. I think it is the Pro

2. Mixed brass. Most of it is FC and I am not seeing any crimps.

3. Either CCI or Tula Primers.

I have seated a primer, that would not fit into a 9mm, into a 40 S&W. Primer pockets are clean. Any help or things I am leaving out?

Are you useing the correct shell holder? If you have a 30 degree countersink, use a drill motor and run it in one or two for a second or so and see if that changes things.

If you can get a picture of the pocket that would help.

I use a Lee Ergo priming tool and did some mixed brass yesterday with Tula KVB-223 primers and while some of them were more resistant than others they all went. I didn't have all the brands normally picked up but had 5 or 6 different ones.

9mm brass.

Edited by Steve RA

It's the FC brass. It is junk. If you have to use it, you will need a small primer pocket reamer tool.

Huh? FC brass is great brass. Maybe not FC-/NT or any FC with a year date after it as thats probably crimped. Case walls are a little thin but it primes wonderfully.

Love FC cases, hate CCI and Tula primers

FC cases and Win, Rem, Fed primers never a problem.

Make sure your loading press primer section is aligned and if Dillon your small primer punch isnt getting old

I'm on my 3rd primer punch, things wear out in 15-20,000 rounds

FC is great most of the time. I've experienced the same issue on FC only. Primers just won't fully seat. It doesn't happen a lot but when it does it is FC. I loaded 1200 rounds this weekend of RP, WIN and FC. I had about 5 FC waste primers since they wouldn't fully seat.