Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to pull trigger on 650, casefeeder, trimmer, etc.. Help me build

Some of you may have read my posts dealing with my other presses(LnL and LLM). My LnL back from Hornady is now indexing correctly and I can load 40SW on it very well. However, I just put the .223/5.56 dies back in it last night and I was having a TON of priming issues with the brass I had(processed brass from Fast&Friendly). He's saying it's due to the LnL not centering the primer well enough, and the brass he makes is rather tight tolerances. He offered to re run the brass to open it up more in the primer pockets, but I thought I'd use this as the excuse I've been looking for to get a 650XL setup.

I'll start with 5.56 on this press, keep my LnL on 40SW for now, and my LLM for 9mm as setup. Eventually, I would like to sell one of my other presses, or at least decommission one of them from loading duties and probably use it as a universal de-primer prior to wet tumbling.

I will be using my current Lee and Hornady dies so no dies needed.

So for certain this is what I want.

650XL with the casefeeder

setup for 5.56(I know it doesn't come with dies)

Dillon 1200T and the steel 5.56 die

I will probably also strongly consider getting the conversion parts to move to 9mm.

Do I need to buy a caliber conversion and the quick change kit in order to have a complete tool head ready to swap over? I thought I recall seeing somewhere a whole kit for about $150-160 or so, but through Dillon, Graf's etc... I cannot find it now. :(.

What I don't know is what other parts should I be considering as spares, caliber changes, nice to have etc....

I was thinking the bearing upgrade and washer parts I hear about to help smooth indexing? Some spent primer mods. I have a pm from someone I'll need to reference, just bouncing ideas off of you all here!

Definitely get the roller handle, strong mount, and a primer chute. I haven't messed with a conversion yet as I shoot mostly 9mm so I can't help you there. I don't know how practical it is for your reloading area, but running an outlet to the ceiling above your bench is really nice to keep extra cords off of your bench.

Definitely separate tool heads for each caliber, so you won't have to re-set them when you change over. An additional powder measure would be a good idea too, to keep from having to swap out the powder bars between 5.56 & 9mm.

Alan~^~

From Brian's store..http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.conv.650.html Quick change kit is $107.95 and conversion kit is $64.95. I would recommend you go with the quick change set up for the 9mm. Much easier. You definitely don't want to be readjusting dies and powder measurement when switching between 5.56 and 9mm.

Do yourself a favor and go with the deluxe changeover kit, you'll be able to keep all your dies, powder, etc. in tact. Since you're starting with 5.56, you'll also need the conversion kit for 9mm (press and casefeeder), which will come with the small parts (pins, etc.). Some of these are universal with 5.56, but at the very least, you'll have some spare parts on hand.

That said, I would also highly recommend the spare parts kit! I would also recommend the bearing kit upgrade, the "as it should be upgrade," and a primer-chute of some-sort (I made my own).

Edited by polizei1

Having used both with and without the strong mount I prefer without these days. But up to you. My point is its not a must have. Roller handle is well worth buying though.

Bearing kit and replacement detent ball work ok.

The inline fab light kit is excellent.

The quick change kit is a good idea. At a minimum at least get a toolhead for each calibre (whidden tool heads are very nice and similar money to dillon).

The dillon spare parts kit is also worth having.

Some kind of spent primer chute to a large container is also worth having. Can be bought or diy.

For the case feeder if you ever plan to load 40 or 45 then just buy the large pistol plate. It works 100% on 9mm and 38 super and will of course run 40 and 45 too. Might be marginal on 380, I've never tried.

The inline bin dam is handy too. :)

You might want to consider getting Hornady rifle dies and Dillon pistol dies. Hornady's seating dies have a sleeve that floats inside it. The bullets don't drop over inside the die. If you've loaded without that sleeve you know what I mean. Dillon pistol dies are a bit more open at the mouth of the resize die. Other brand name dies will cause jams and damage to your cases as the case hits the outside of the die. They are made for a production loader.

Sometime in the future you're going to want to get Dillon's power case trimmer. Especially because once fired military 5.56 cases are beyond max length when you get them. Also in the future you will want to get Dillon's primer swaging tool. Again, these are made for production.

Oh, one more thing. Dillon really likes their stuff. Don't think you're going to get by cheap. That's why I said "in the future".

Ray

From Brian's store..http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.conv.650.html Quick change kit is $107.95 and conversion kit is $64.95. I would recommend you go with the quick change set up for the 9mm. Much easier. You definitely don't want to be readjusting dies and powder measurement when switching between 5.56 and 9mm.

What the doc said.

I have a Dillon 650 and it's the boss. It won't, however prime a swaged pocket that's been incompletely removed.

I agree get a 650, but don't think it automatically guarantees success with priming.

I would buy a go no go type primer pocket tool from Ballistic Tools and check your pockets if they pass fine. If not then have your brass guy redo.

Buy the Dillon regardless.

You should get an extra tool head for .223. Normally this is a 2 step process. Step one is to size & decap & trim your cases. Step 2 is to prime + powder drop + projo setting + crimp. Your press will come with a single tool head. You need a second one for step 2 for .223 and a third tool head for your 9mm conversion.

Been a competition shooter for 30 years both in the Marines and the Police Bureau but never had to reload. The Armorer always took care of that stuff for me. I found with my 650 I needed the Dillon DVD and watched all the videos on utube. The manual helped but I could not be loading with jus it.

Edited by Mikelindsey