Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open pistol caliber confusion

ronn

Been looking for a used open pistol to start shooting open with. Reading everything I can find. Discovered, thought sometimes not recommended by some, 9mm shoots 9 major, 9x23 shoots 38 super, 38 super shoots 9 major. Sure I might even be missing something. All seams very strange and complicates the buying process.

If you are buying a new open gun, I would pick the caliber you want and buy the gun in that caliber. The 2 most popular calibers are 9 major and 38 super/supercomp.

Mixing calibers in the barrel may be ok but why. Pick a caliber get the gun and work on your shooting.

If you are buying a new open gun, I would pick the caliber you want and buy the gun in that caliber. The 2 most popular calibers are 9 major and 38 super/supercomp.

Mixing calibers in the barrel may be ok but why. Pick a caliber get the gun and work on your shooting.

I am not recommending anything to anyone, but one of the reasons might be the cost of a used gun. Older and less expensive guns tend to be in the 38 caliber, any 9mm is likely to be more expensive. You can often get a deal of your lifetime on an older 38-cal weapon. But then the cost of the brass will suddenly become an issue...

Conceivably, buying an older 39 gun and shooting 9mm through it allows you to get the least expensive entry into the game.

Some 38 S/SC may shoot 9mm OK and some may not. There is a lot of talk on here if you search it out about pros and cons of doing it.

38 Super and 38 super Comp are same with SC having slightly less rim for more mag capacity and better extraction supposedly. It's all about the extractor.

9MAJOR is just a basic 9mm case crammed full of slow powder to make major power factor. This is why 9mm shooters should never pick up ammo from the range floors unless they know it is theirs.

Some 38 S/SC may shoot 9mm OK and some may not. There is a lot of talk on here if you search it out about pros and cons of doing it.

38 Super and 38 super Comp are same with SC having slightly less rim for more mag capacity and better extraction supposedly. It's all about the extractor.

9MAJOR is just a basic 9mm case crammed full of slow powder to make major power factor. This is why 9mm shooters should never pick up ammo from the range floors unless they know it is theirs.

I pick up and reload 9mm from matches but I only load them to minor power factor. It hasn't been a problem for me. Just make sure you check the brass for split cases and expect to put more force on the lever when resizing.

MrPostman, I believe you and Sarge are on different pages. Ammo and brass are slightly different. You don't want to pick up loaded ammo and shoot it unless you know it is yours, is more what Sarge was saying.

yeah, picking up and shooting loaded 9mm rds you find on the range is way stupid idea .... but 9mm brass ?.... I pick up every case I see and would even consider knocking down little old ladies if they were trying to leave the range with an extra large bucket .... :)

MrPostman, I believe you and Sarge are on different pages. Ammo and brass are slightly different. You don't want to pick up loaded ammo and shoot it unless you know it is yours, is more what Sarge was saying.

Yep you are correct, I was reading this in the bathroom at work so I was a little rushed and misinterpreted what he was saying. On that note yes I agree that it is a bad idea to pick up loaded ammo at a match with the intention on using it.