Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Steel Matches

danjordan78

I travel quite a bit so I'm always looking to see what steel matches are around where I'm headed. Was able to hook on to one this trip and had a great time shooting at a new range and with a different group of people. I have to search around quite a bit on the internet to find ranges in the area, where they are, what kinds of matches, etc. Thought it might be nice to have a compilation of matches that people can look for easily.

Maybe we can get this pinned in the Steel Challenge forum (and one for 2016 matches) since there don't seem to be many steel match announcements in the general match announcement folder. You can look at SteelChallenge.com but not everyone posts there and that doesn't include ISI and NSSF matches either

I'm trying to keep this to full 8 stage steel matches (no monthly 4/5 stage outlaw matches please), Regional, State Champs, NSSF Regional and Nationals, larger ISI matches, Etc. Let me know what you've got if I don't have it on here and I will add it.

June

27-28 West Coast Steel Championships Wes Thompson Ranges - Piru, CA

July

25 Eastern PA Steel Challenge Match Guthsville R&G Club - Orefield, PA

August

July 31- Aug 2 Colorado State Steel Championships Weld County F&G -Ault, CO

September

5 Port Malabar R&P club 8 stage match - Port Malabar, FL

25-27 Tom Benjamin Memorial Steel Challenge Championship Guthsville R&G Club - Orefield, PA

October

9-11 NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championships Old Fort Gun Club - Fort Smith, AR

17 Indiana State Steel Challenge Championships

23-24 South Carolina State Steel Championships Palmetto Gun Club - Charleston, SC

November

6-8 Mississippi State Steel Challenge Championships Gulf Coast R&P Club

12-14 World Speed Shooting Championships Houge Ranges - San Louis Obispo, CA ***Tentative/Rumor***

Edited by danjordan78

this doesn't quite fit your criteria so feel free to delete ....

I'm currently running two 8-stage sanctioned matches during the year; one on the first Saturday in March & one on the first Saturday in September. Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club, Malabar, Fl. The March match is a warm-up for the US Steel Nationals that month & the Sept match is a warm-up for the PA State Championship that month ...

The Georgia state match is at Griffin Gun Club (not far from ATL) in February. It's been the first Saturday (and the Friday before the first Saturday) in February the past two years but I don't know if that date is carved in stone.

Zack, do you know if the GA state match is officially sanctioned?

I thought about it after my post and I'm sure you are right. I think they might have been years ago. Some of the old stuff I found online had "challenge" in the name but recently it's just Griffin Steel Match. The state match has all eight SC stages though.

Updated with those matches. Don't mind if they aren't sanctioned. With the current state of SC lots of clubs aren't registering them. Will start a new thread for 2016 matches tonight and add the Georgia match to it.

The July Guthville, PA SC match is not a full 8 stage match, only 6. The Sept. Tier 2 match is a full 8 stage match and just about the largest number of entires in an SC match in the US, based on last year when I shot.

2 other matches you might consider are the 2 yearly steel matches at the Palmyra Sportsman's Association in PA, the spring PSA Shootout and the fall PSA Rimfire Challenge. The Spring event is supposed to be the largest steel match in the US with 6 stages of 25-35 pieces of steel each, around 600 shooters (or guns). There were 332 shooters in Stock Auto this year about 190 in Open plus stock and open revolver (also rimfire side match). The PSA Rimfire Challenge is similar except .22. 4 stages of steel with up to 50 targets per stage. Divisions are Rifle, Pistol, and Team (2 shooters one with rifle one with pistol both firing when the buzzer goes off). This year it falls on the weekend before the NSSF WC in Ark.

Edited by photoracer

need to make one correction to the 2 matches I posted ... the Sept 2015 sanctioned match will only be 7 stages due to range avialibility ... the March match will continue to be an 8-stage sanctioned match ...

Is there any more info about the Indiana state match, where it is going to be held, and will it be the standard 8 stages or what type of stages ?

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Mike41

[sNIP]

12-14 World Speed Shooting Championships Houge Ranges - San Louis Obispo, CA ***Tentative/Rumor***

It looks like it's official.

http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-news-details.php?WSSC-Dates-and-Range-Announced.-14

WSSC Dates and Range Announced.

The 2015 WSSC Dates and Range have been announced!

Nov 11 - Registration

Nov 12 - Rimfire events

Nov 13 - Centerfire events

Nov 14 - Centerfire events/Awards at range that night

It will be held at the San Luis Shooting Association, AKA "The Hogue Range".

The facility's website is http://www.slosa.org...all pertinent information about the facility can be found there.

Updated

July
25 Eastern PA Steel Challenge Match (6 stages) Guthsville R&G Club - Orefield, PA

August
July 31- Aug 2 Colorado State Steel Championships Weld County F&G -Ault, CO
Aug 2 Fredricksburg Practical Shooters 8 stage Fredricksburg R&G Club - Fredricksburg, VA

September
5 Port Malabar R&P club 7 stage match - Port Malabar, FL
25-27 Tom Benjamin Memorial Steel Challenge Championship Guthsville R&G Club - Orefield, PA

October

3-4 Palmyra Sportsmans Assoc Rimfire Challenge - Rimfire knockdown steel

9-11 NSSF Rimfire Challenge World Championships Old Fort Gun Club - Fort Smith, AR
17 Indiana State Steel Challenge Championships
23-24 South Carolina State Steel Championships Palmetto Gun Club - Charleston, SC

November
6-8 Mississippi State Steel Challenge Championships Gulf Coast R&P Club
12-14 World Speed Shooting Championships Hogue Ranges - San Louis Obispo, CA

Edited by danjordan78

Although they aren't sanctioned, every Friday evening Fairfield Sportsmen's Association has a steel plates shoot. Then across town on the 2nd Saturday of the month Miami Rifle and Pistol has their steel shoot. So if you're in the Cincinnati metro area you might give it a try.

www.fridaynightsteel.com

www.miamirifle-pistol.org