Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lenny Magill dry fire kit for Glocks

Honeybooboo

While I have not tried this particular system, I have tried some trigger reset devices (which are replacement triggers) and they don't feel anything like the trigger in my gun.

As to the laser, I do have a SIRT and while the trigger also feels a great deal different, it still works as a training device. Plus there are other similar laser devices and targets that seem to do well in the market place.

As to this particular system, I'm not a fan of Magill. He's too much into marketing for my tastes and leaves me with the feeling that he will sell anything to make a buck.

Edited by Graham Smith

I bought one a year ago. A great concept, but the trigger is nothing like the stock Glock trigger. It has a very heavy and long pull. I was disappointed with it and do not recommend buying one.

It's really hard to simulate the trigger pull of a real gun. I have yet to hear anyone say they had a device that would allow their Glock to repeatedly dry fire and that felt realistic.

Doesn't mean there isn't something out there, mind you.

Edited by Graham Smith

The coolfire trainer at least lets you keep your real trigger and trigger pull. It also cycles the slide so you get some recoil. And it's $400 not $500

I've not tried it but if I was going to sling cash at a dry fire toy it'd probably be the cool fire.

Spend $550 on another glock. Put cardboard in the ejection point to keep the slide slightly out of battery. Done deal.

That won't allow the trigger to actually function as it does in a real gun. It just moves freely. Not the same thing at all.

Spend $550 on another glock. Put cardboard in the ejection point to keep the slide slightly out of battery. Done deal.

That won't allow the trigger to actually function as it does in a real gun. It just moves freely. Not the same thing at all.

It may not be the same, but it's close enough. Or at least it's working for me, I started shooting a glock in open 8 months ago. First glock I've owned, I made Master with it a month ago just by dry fireing with the gun out of battery like dark is suggesting. No need to spend $500 to make the trigger feel a little more real. The trigger pull itself is really a small portion of dry fire IMO, you are working on overall gun handling.

It may not be the same, but it's close enough. Or at least it's working for me

It may be working for you and I've certainly done the same thing. But it's not like a real trigger, there's no resistance at all. For some people, part of dry firing is feeling the trigger break and then resetting it. That's extremely difficult to practice in a dry fire situation without having to manually cycle the slide each time.

It all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish and, in this case, the OP is talking about both a resettable trigger and a laser.

While I have not tried this particular system, I have tried some trigger reset devices (which are replacement triggers) and they don't feel anything like the trigger in my gun.

As to the laser, I do have a SIRT and while the trigger also feels a great deal different, it still works as a training device. Plus there are other similar laser devices and targets that seem to do well in the market place.

As to this particular system, I'm not a fan of Magill. He's too much into marketing for my tastes and leaves me with the feeling that he will sell anything to make a buck.

^^^

Mirrors my sentiments exactly. IIRC, the SIRT is also cheaper.

It may not be the same, but it's close enough. Or at least it's working for me

It may be working for you and I've certainly done the same thing. But it's not like a real trigger, there's no resistance at all. For some people, part of dry firing is feeling the trigger break and then resetting it. That's extremely difficult to practice in a dry fire situation without having to manually cycle the slide each time.

It all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish and, in this case, the OP is talking about both a resettable trigger and a laser.

Currently the obly system that gives you a REAL trigger pull and reset is the coolfire trainer. It's cycling your slide every shot. I felt an sirt trigger and they don't feel real. I'm sure the macgil one won't either. You can certainly do meaningful dry fire without all the $ gear but if I was spending money at least the coolfire option means I'm using my real frame, real trigger and have the slide cycling.

laser training devices teach you to do exactly the opposite of what you should be doing ... they teach you to visually score your target by looking for where the laser strikes the target instead of learning to call your shots off your sights ...