Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally, someone who'll undertstand my insanity...

Jerry V

.... and my desire to only shoot a revolver in USPSA/IPSC and all other competitions.

Hello fellow wheelguners, been lurking for about a week and like it here:D

I just competed in my first IPSC match ever (also first competitive match) and had a blast, pun intended. Most everyone in my squad was helpful to me as a newbie and a wheelgun shooter and helped with tactics & advice. I'm not doing it to win ribbons, but learn how to shoot better and most of all have fun B) After all it's just a game <_< .. right ?

It isn't like I haven't shot auto's, in fact I've put many thousands of rounds (45acp mainly) through 1911's & glocks. I just got tired of auto's (picking up brass) :huh: Four yrs ago my good friend Tim finally got me to try his S&W revolvers and I became a revolver addict :blink: I sold my 1911s' and a Glock 21C, and bought 2-686+'s 2.5"(soon to be 3") & 4", a 4" 617 and a 2.5" 66 & 642 (my carry guns) :D

I wanted to start playing the IPSC game, but my 4" 686+ was the only practical choice I had but was unsure about how well I could do with HKS speedloaders and having to short load it (6 vs 7) and I had no desire to have it moonclipped. My problems were solved when my good friend Tim gave me his barely used 4" 610. So I quickly ordered 10mm brass, dies and some RIMZ moonclips, got a accurate load worked up. All I had was a nylon belt holster and 4 speedloader pouches (not enough for the 32 rd stages). Even though I made a ton of mistakes (non-safety) I learned a lot.

With the next match in 2 wks, I'm geared up better now - 8 moonclip holders, Sidearmor holster, Recomp belt, a milder load (173 PF vs 195 PF) worked up and with lots of practice - dry firing, drawing, unloading/reloading, I'm hoping to do a lot better B)

Sorry to ramble on :blink: but I had to tell someone who may understand my addiction and offer support ;)

Thank you Brian and everyone else for having this Forum

Forever a Revolver Addict --- Jerry

WELCOME TO THE REVOLUTION! :P

Glad to see someone else taking up the challenge of revolver shooting.

Where are you from Jerry?

SigLady, if you come to the Ohio Sectional I'll lend you a 625...I'll even give you one with a straight sight! :P

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Round_Gun_Shooter - I tried 40 S&W and they weren't as accurate as my 10mm loads, plus you gotta admit shooting 10mm in competion is kinda cool B)

redmist10 - I'm from the North"wet" part of Oregon and thanks I'm glad to be part of the REVOLUTION :ph34r:

--- Jerry

JerryV,

Welcome to the true light. The bottom feeders are really only around to reset steel and paste targets :D

I second RoundGunShooters .40 S&W suggestion. 10mm certainly is manly but it's a handful. Mrs. Airedale shoots a 610 w/.40's and it's pretty sweet.

SigLady-Aren't you the lady from the Baron's Den? And you don't have a revolver? Mrs. Airedale shot a Thompson there a few years ago-great fun.

Have fun,

Dave

Yes, one and the same.

Well, it's a matter of budget. Now, if I hadn't fallen in lust last month with this S&W 9mm hi-cap semi-auto thing I just bought... :rolleyes: Kinda broke the piggy-bank on that little acquisition. :blink:

The "Thompson" is still alive and well. People still shooting it all the time. It's especially fun to watch in the summer (we're on the Interstate) when travellers from either north or south see the sign outside and drop in, shoot the thing, then get back in their cars, hole-filled paper targets in hand, and continue on their way. Great entertainment.

The revolver is an "eventually" thing. But a "definitely" thing. Just don't know when. Need to do research on what caliber, what model, what manufacturer--the whole nine yards.

Jerry V,

Welcome aboard !!! :P:P:P

These guys/gals here are a pretty good bunch and they will steer you right.

I started shooting revo in USPSA with a 4" 610 and still use it as a back-up for the 625...

there is a Accurate .40 load out there you will just have to do some testing... <_<

Find you some round nose bullets (I use Precision Bullets) so reloads will be consistant and have fun....

If you find a 625 5" gun or a 25-2 and have the $$$$$ get it... if not KEEP shooting the 610 it is a Fine gun and with practice you can reload it just as well as a 625 !!!

Moonclip guns are the way to go..... brass is all together when you go to pick it up and even at big Lost Brass matches you get yours back :D

686 is good gun but moonclip guns just make it easier. :)

I am glad you enjoyed the match.... It takes a different mindset to Want to shoot revolvers in USPSA/IPSC because of all the shooting/reloading but man it is FUN

If you have any questions.... Shoot !!! if you have any observations tell us we may need to hear them too !!!

Glad to Have you we need more Revo shooters !!!!!

SiGlady.... Thanks for the Info ;)

Again thanks,

I do apprecient the 40 S&W advice and will at sometime work with it again. I don't doubt a accurate load can be worked up and understand the advantage of it being shorter than the 10mm. I've only had the gun for less than 3 mos. so it will just take time to work everything out. But if I go to 40S&W, what do I do with the 500 pieces of 10mm brass I have ?? :wacko: Anyway, I don't notice the recoil much, it's actually kinda mild compared to the 357mag loads I've been shooting out of my 686 (which is what is mainly shot out of it -- not many 38spl anymore).

Also I failed to mention, my daughter (17 yrs old) also prefer's a revolver, I got her a S&W 4" 66 last year (it's her's when she turns 21) and she's shown interest in PPC. My wife :wub: will only shoot my 2.5" 66 & 617 the couple times a year she goes to range. Both won't have anything to do with the perfectly good Ruger MKII that collecting dust in the safe <_<

------ Jerry

The revolver is an "eventually" thing. But a "definitely" thing. Just don't know when. Need to do research on what caliber, what model, what manufacturer--the whole nine yards.

Siggy,

I can give you one of the answers: S&W

Cheers!