Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy trigger pull with certain mags.

jhugh4

While at the range the other day I began to notice that my trigger every once in a while was extremely hard to pull (I shoot a STI Edge 40S&W with a stock trigger no after market parts). That night I went home and cleaned my gun and started doing dry fire drills and noticed that two of my magazines (empty of course) are causing the heavy pull of the trigger. When I say heavy I mean I have to squeeze really hard like it has a 15 pound trigger. My other 3 mags feel fine. Does anyone have any kind of solution for fixing this problem or know why the magazine would make the trigger pull really heavy? Thanks.

The trigger bow may be hitting at the front of the mag. Either the bow needs to be spread out or the mags in question are slightly longer and need some tuning up. I had a similar thing on my 9mm Edge. I changed the trigger and it was out of spec far enough that with 2 mags I couldn't drop the hammer at all.

Pat, the trigger resets every time. I wonder if some how the trigger bow got bent. I bought the gun brand new in February and its ran like a champ right out of the box. This is the first issue I've encountered. The gun still fires but when your pulling extremely hard shots start flying where you don't want them to. With area 1 next week I'm hoping for a quick fix!!

Put the offending mags in a vice and squeeze them a little bit in the area of the trigger bow.Gently, you don't want to mash them, just reshape a little bit. Sometimes mags swell with use.-----------Larry

What Larry said, but I'd also take a hard look at the trigger bow. On an STI, it is delicate. By squeezing hard to fire you may well have made the problem worse, or at least altered the profile.

Mags deform from use especially if you drop mags with lots of rounds still in it. It's probably rubbing on the mag. I say pull those mags and deal with the problem after Area 1. Focus on the match for this week instead of trying to fix equipment issues.