Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best most reliable firing pin for a stock 2

I tried a Henning 3rd gen and it would stick in the most forward position with an EGD light firing pin spring. I put the factory one back in and my S2 ran fine. For peace of mind I ordered the Henning 4th gen and the gun runs fine during dry fire. I haven't taken it to the range yet but I can't see why it wouldn't run fine there as well. As a side note I'm running a LRA extended firing pin block with both firing pins.

I've ran every possible combo I think. The EG, henning gen 3 and 4, all with either the factory, the Wolff and EG light springs with coils cut off all and no coils cut. The most reliable setups have been the Henning FP using the EG light spring. I switched to the gen 4 and that's all I run now but the gen3 gave me no problems. Switched simply cuz gen4 is tad longer and lighter and my thinking is that helps counterbalance using lighter or cut coiled hammer springs. I've got prolly 500-600 rounds now thru my new Stock II using the gen4 and I cut 2 coils off the EG light hammer spring and 2-3 off FP spring with Titan hammer and I have had 100% ignitions using Fed primers. DA is around 6# and feels great. Course I only did that cuz have extra springs to play with and if I get any light strikes I will ditch the hammer spring for one that's uncut

I bought EGs firing pin for small frame back in 2012 and it worked. It is still working. I use Federal primers only, properly seated. To answer the question, imo, if properly spec'd and functions properly then it is reliable. You start cutting coils then it will on the springs, not the FP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. And Gump I think I may get a gen 4 Henning. I made the mistake of cutting coils on the the firing pin spring you had and the firing pin would occasionally stick. I dropped the cut spring and it's back to 100 percent functional. Never making that mistake again

Just know that some of us are having issues with the Gen 4 firing pin.

When I used it with the one-piece sear and extended firing pin block - the firing pin safety is disabled on both of my Stock IIs.

When I switched back to the Gen 3 firing pin on both guns, everything worked as it should.

So the gen 4 firing pin may or may not work for you.

Stop changing parts!!!!!!! Everyone is making this so much harder than it is. You guys are your own worst nightmares.

Jamison, the trigger was fine on gumps gun. If it was running 100%, leave it alone!

Edited by Prov1x

Stop changing parts!!!!!!! Everyone is making this so much harder than it is. You guys are your own worst nightmares.

Jamison, the trigger was fine on gumps gun. If it was running 100%, leave it alone!

Where's the fun in that?

Besides, if we don't buy parts from Henning and Eric, how are they going to support themselves?

Prov is familiar with the exact gun in question. Hence why he is a little more animated then some.

Yes I handled the gun along side mine and everything was fine on the gun. There wasn't a need, from what I could tell, to change anything. Unless he was having issues but he told me the gun was running fine. If it's running fine, don't mess with it....

I bought all my stuff from them.

But didn't you just say we shouldn't be changing parts?

Changing unnecessary parts, see my post above. Besides the BASIC parts list, as I posted in the other thread, you don't NEED all of this other stuff you guys are doing.

Prov is familiar with the exact gun in question. Hence why he is a little more animated then some.

Yes I handled the gun along side mine and everything was fine on the gun. There wasn't a need, from what I could tell, to change anything. Unless he was having issues but he told me the gun was running fine. If it's running fine, don't mess with it....

Changing unnecessary parts, see my post above. Besides the BASIC parts list, as I posted in the other thread, you don't NEED all of this other stuff you guys are doing.

I see.

Unfortunately, in my case, I did need to make a change. My firing pin was getting stuck in the forward position while dry firing.

That is not, as far as I'm concerned, an acceptable condition for my gun to be in.

When I asked about it, I received a variety of suggestions on how to fix it.

And that's what I've been doing.

Fixing it.

Henning Gen 3 or 4 extended firing pin. Stock, no coils cut, FP spring. Wolff 13# hammer spring with 2 coils cut. Functional firing pin safety. Best combination I've found. Practice with whatever primers. Shoot matches with Federal primers. Good luck.

I see.

Unfortunately, in my case, I did need to make a change. My firing pin was getting stuck in the forward position while dry firing.

That is not, as far as I'm concerned, an acceptable condition for my gun to be in.

Fixing it.

I have a pair and OEM firing pins couldn't be swapped. Meaning one works in both and another only works in one. It will get stuck deep in the channel. So there is variability even in OEM parts. I would take 1/1000th off the firing pin that getting stuck. Try polishing off the finish.

I see.

Fixing it.

I have a pair and OEM firing pins couldn't be swapped. Meaning one works in both and another only works in one. It will get stuck deep in the channel. So there is variability even in OEM parts. I would take 1/1000th off the firing pin that getting stuck. Try polishing off the finish.

I think the problem, in my case, turned out to be the clipped firing pin return spring that came with the gun.

The switch to the EG light return spring seems to have solved the problem.

Prov and Gump are both right I shouldn't have messed with it. I clipped a coil off which was a mistake and I enduced the malfuction. I dropped a new spring in and the problem is fixed. Lesson learned. However reading through other post it seems like a lot of people are having issues with Henning firing pins getting stuck why is that???

Prov and Gump are both right I shouldn't have messed with it. I clipped a coil off which was a mistake and I enduced the malfuction. I dropped a new spring in and the problem is fixed. Lesson learned. However reading through other post it seems like a lot of people are having issues with Henning firing pins getting stuck why is that???

You clipped a coil off the FPS?

I am bad about being a tinkerer sometimes but I always figure out and get my Tanfos running 100% before I do anything where I know if I wanna try this spring or that at a practice session then great but I know if it doesn't work out what exactly to put back in that's 100% reliable.

Gump yes I was a dumbass and I clipped a coil off. I thought it looked like the firing pin wasn't allowing the hammer to sit far enough forward. It was a dumb ass mistake and I shouldn't have tinkered with anything like prov said. :-( but I had extra FP spring so I put a new one in and BOOM no more problems.