Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 question

goosedowner

To Anyone using Solo 1000, do you or did you ever have metering issues with it. I was getting good accuracy with the solo and Bayou bullets 147gr fp in my CZ P09 but now I'm getting some big velocity spreads and my accuracy has gone down the tubes.

Any ideas on what to do other than use up the last of my N320?

I have had issues trying to get Solo 1000 to meter consistently through my Lee powder measures. I was trying to use around 3.0gr in 9mm. Don't know if it was bridging or what. Haven't tried any in my Dillon measures.

That's what I was getting at, if your jug is slow or the weather has warmed since you did your chrono work you may need to bump it up 2 tenths to get your groove back. If I can't find at least a 4 pound jug I wait until I can or mix all I have together so I only have to work it up once in a while and not every time I pop open a new jug but I bet you been there before. Good powder though!! Polishing the bottom inside of the measure a de-burring and polishing the inside of the powder funnel hole sure does help.

Edited by bowenbuilt

To Anyone using Solo 1000, do you or did you ever have metering issues with it. I was getting good accuracy with the solo and Bayou bullets 147gr fp in my CZ P09 but now I'm getting some big velocity spreads and my accuracy has gone down the tubes.

Any ideas on what to do other than use up the last of my N320?

This works great in my 550 and 1050. http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1278

I get a higher SD than I would like when loading on a 550, but Solo1k works pretty well for the price.
I spot check the powder charge weight and I am not getting a huge fluctuation there, just a bit of a wider the normal spread on the velocity.

Not to go too far off topic but did you find Solo 1000 in stock recently or is this powder that you or someone else bought a while ago? Just curious because I haven't seen it in 2 years.

Not to go too far off topic but did you find Solo 1000 in stock recently or is this powder that you or someone else bought a while ago? Just curious because I haven't seen it in 2 years.

I purchased 24 lbs. (same lot #) about 3 months before Sandy Hook. I still have about 14 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, I bought a unigue Tek powder baffle and I polished the powder die and I'm still getting anywhere from 3.64 to 3.8 when I have the it set for 3.7. I have since switched back to N320 and it doesn't vary more than .02 from drop to drop so I'll run that until my supply is gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Spent some time polishing the inside of my Dillon Powder measure. Removed the tube, disassembled the lower parts. Using 400 paper then

Simichrome polish, mirror polished the inside of the funnel part the a light polish on the inside where the bars slides and the bar.

Idea on the bars is not to remove metal but smooth. Put a piece of clear packing tape above the top bar, it doesn't move the cut out

openings with a razor blade. Check for free movement when assembling. There's a solid one piece adjustment bolt with a machined

knob ob E Bay for $12.00. Great for adjustments. I shoot a lot of varied weight bullets and it's a big help. Also installed

some 1/8th inch screen, using the top as a guide cut a piece out installed between the tube and lower housing. This will stop any

trash getting in the lower part of the powder measure.

First test run after tuning the powder measure was 3.4gns pf Solo 1000 with a heavy lead bullet. All loads checked were 3.4gns.

Dead on. Solo 1000 is a light flake powder that doesn't meter well. Slows quickly when the temps go up in the summer and needs

to be loaded for the seasons, can be a PIA but it's accurate and soft shooting. Worth the effort.

Would get away from the 147gn bullet, do a search there's plenty of posts on 147 lead tumbling. 135 and 160's work well.

Last chrono work, 3.6 VV320 135gn BBI bullet was 128 power factor with a 12fps spread. Chrono at MS ShowDown 951, 952 and

951. There's something to tuning the powder measure.

Edited by Bob DuBois

Back a few years when I started loading 165's for my new 6" limited gun the info I could find said Solo 1000 was the powder to use. I got an 8 lb.'r and started loading. There were comments about it not being consistent and some were using a cheap aquarium pump strapped to the powder hopper to settle the powder evenly. I tried it out and it seemed to work and I ended up using it to load some large batches of match ammo and then went to open and haven't loaded any since.