Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smooth really is fast

It's been said time and time again, but smooth really is fast.

When shooting speed steel especially, when my focus is on being smooth and making hits the times are faster than when my focus is speed. For me there is a fine line between how much I should feel on the edge of not being smooth and being even more smooth and slower. With steel challenge it was relatively easy to set up a stage and practice that stage and keep pushing as comfort and good hits allowed. Shooting mostly the ISSA format now (and really enjoying it) it's more of a challenge. On a stage I have never shot before I have to make a judgement call on how fast I can shoot smoothly with good hits. It certainly keeps things from getting boring. It has changed the way in which my son and I do live fire practice. We now practice getting as fast of hits on the first target with the first target being moved a lot. We also practice more types of transitions now. What seems to work the best for us is setting up two plates. Make a good, fast hit on the first, and then a smooth, good transition to a hit on the 2nd. Mix up the sizes and distances. I think the ISSA format leads to being a more well balanced shooter and problem solver.

• 2 weeks later...

I try not to think in the terms slow and fast. I try (notice it's try) to let the sights control my speed. See what I need to see, call the shot, go to the next target.

Yep to that. When I shot real fast I get a lot of D/M/NS hits. When I put the focus on the sight picture and shoot only as fast as I can see the sight alignment (except of course for those close targets), it feels "slower" but somehow my HFs are higher. Hmmm...

Get the sight picture as fast as possible, then pull the shot. then Repeat,

If you don't have the sight picture, being fast/slow doesn't matter. After awhile, you'll be getting the proper sight picture faster and faster, that's progression.

After throwing two mikes in one stage yesterday it seems I need to heed my own advice.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Ben Stoeger, like usual, is a bit of a contrarian. He states in one of his books that some of the fastest shooters he has seen are jerky in their movements, almost the opposite of smooth. The goal is to be fast and accurate. If you can do that by being smooth, that's great. But the goal is not to be smooth