Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good solutions for dealing with handguard heat in an AR

Nemesis Lead

Holding the mag well with support hand could be a solution without adding any extra parts:

Don't do that, that is probably the worst solution to a problem. That's like saying that the solution to not having enough lumbar support in your cars driver seat is driving from rear passenger seat.

Holding the mag well with support hand could be a solution without adding any extra parts:

Don't do that, that is probably the worst solution to a problem. That's like saying that the solution to not having enough lumbar support in your cars driver seat is driving from rear passenger seat.

Funny. And don't forget to take the stock off your shoulder to really complete the look.

Different strokes for different folks. Now read this article: http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/11/14/tactical-commentary-you-shoot-the-wrong-way-what/

Here is the summary from that article in case you missed:

1) Shoot the way that works for you even if it is not the “right way”

2) Don’t be a Range know it all Douchebag or I will call your mom namescase you were wondering – the two points of this commentary are:

1) Shoot the way that works for you even if it is not the “right way”

2) Dobe a Range know it all Douchebag or I will call your mom names

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maxima, I found your linked article to be as much a waste of time as your first and second post in this thread. If you had followed up with a comment about how the picture was meant to be some sort of sarcasm that would be cool, now you are the one who is coming off as a Jack-wagon. I think you may be on to something with your novel new shooting style, think of all the weight you will save now that hand guards are obsolete. If only you could somehow convince the guys I shoot against to adopt your new style it would certainly improve my finish at future matches. Feel free to call my mom names, she knows how to hold a rifle.

Maxima, I found your linked article to be as much a waste of time as your first and second post in this thread. If you had followed up with a comment about how the picture was meant to be some sort of sarcasm that would be cool, now you are the one who is coming off as a Jack-wagon. I think you may be on to something with your novel new shooting style, think of all the weight you will save now that hand guards are obsolete. If only you could somehow convince the guys I shoot against to adopt your new style it would certainly improve my finish at future matches. Feel free to call my mom names, she knows how to hold a rifle.

Butt-hurt that much? Sounds like you are the one acting like an arrogant jerk and fits the "Range... Douche..." description. What part of "Different strokes for different folks" you do not understand? I do not care what kind of style any shooters use, as long as it works for them.

BTW, I am far nicer than the author of that article, therefore, I won't call you mom names, even you really deserve it.

Uh oh, the conversation has degraded to name calling...

Bottom line is that people using that stance are at the bottom of the scoreboards. If/when they want to place higher, that stance is the first thing to go. Coincidence? I think not. All those people are certain that stance is "working for them" when they start too. Just my observations.

Also I've seen people using the bazooka hold while shooting an AR10. If you think a stance works fine with a 223 rifle then you try it with a 308 and you have to dig through the weeds to find the rifle after you've stood back up and dusted yourself off, there's something wrong with that particular technique.

What part of "Different strokes for different folks" you do not understand? I do not care what kind of style any shooters use, as long as it works for them.

Your poor attitude aside, who does that stance work for? Please name names please of shooters who actually distinguish themselves using it.

If you can't, then it "works" in the sense that you can fire the gun that way, but not in the sense that you can shoot it accurately or fast. Heck, I could shoot my rifle one handed while on my back and holding a rabid raccoon in the other hand but I won't be hitting the targets a lot

Or .. maybe you are just trolling in which case, well done.

Edited by Vlad

Whatayawhatayawhataya, you are all starting to sound like that Kurt Miller guy, arguing about what works with Mr. T. At least when we do it it is funny. For instance we would already have used the "Tactical C Hunchback", and Moustache jokes. NOW make this funny.....don't make us come down here!! :lol:

Edited by kurtm

Kurt, are you referring to yourself in the majestic plural? I mean, that's ok by me, a man has to do what a man has to do, I'm just curious :)

To get back on thread though, for gaming purposes, what is wrong with a glove? I carry one around anyway because shotguns burn me a LOT more often then rifles so not use it?

The "US" is me and Mr. T where we will rain derision on frilly little gloves, holding the mag well, para cord anything, and finned heat sinks. The only saving part in this thread is Richard's picture of a bottle of water.... now I reiterate.....don't make us come down there!

You guys are getting in the way of my sack of French shower head antics. I only chimed in to bring levity to the topic, I apologize for adding my pointless comments. I could give two shits how anyone shoots, but that does not mean that I will not ridicule the people who I, in my childish way feel deserve it. No chance that anything posted in this or any other thread could "butt hurt" me the guys I shoot with are merciless.

Apologize? For pointless comments? This is the inter-web my friend, it is MANDATORY!!!!!! (The pointless comments that is)

My reguards to you and you shooting partner Ming. :)

Edited by kurtm

Ming has found a way to reduce heat that has not been mentioned. He went in with a couple guys on 10,000 or so once fired .223 cases from the "internet". They seem to split in half when it's hot out causing his gun to stop shooting, thus allowing it to cool! Problem solved.

Uh oh, the conversation has degraded to name calling...

Bottom line is that people using that stance are at the bottom of the scoreboards. If/when they want to place higher, that stance is the first thing to go. Coincidence? I think not. All those people are certain that stance is "working for them" when they start too. Just my observations.

Also I've seen people using the bazooka hold while shooting an AR10. If you think a stance works fine with a 223 rifle then you try it with a 308 and you have to dig through the weeds to find the rifle after you've stood back up and dusted yourself off, there's something wrong with that particular technique.

What part of "Different strokes for different folks" you do not understand? I do not care what kind of style any shooters use, as long as it works for them.

Your poor attitude aside, who does that stance work for? Please name names please of shooters who actually distinguish themselves using it.

If you can't, then it "works" in the sense that you can fire the gun that way, but not in the sense that you can shoot it accurately or fast. Heck, I could shoot my rifle one handed while on my back and holding a rabid raccoon in the other hand but I won't be hitting the targets a lot

Or .. maybe you are just trolling in which case, well done.

Congrats! You just proved again how narrow-minded and ignorant you are! From back seat driver analogy to bazooka hold, and snarky remarks.

In the club "outlaw" matches around our area, from my observation, basically there were two groups frequently used mag-well hold:

In the first group, shooters were shooting at steel gongs around 300 yards or beyond off-hand. Most of their rifles's center of gravity close to or right at the mag-well section. They adopted mag-well hold to help stabilizing the rifle better with the help of elbow being close to body, since set-up a sling is too slow. And a stable rifle hold improves accuracy. This group includes top/most experienced/match winner shooters as well as average shooters.

Among the second group, ones with SBRs, especially with barrel length less then 10 inches. They did that because they won't risk their hands being shot or blasted by muzzle brake using weak hand extended hold. Most guys in this group are also experienced shooters.

Again, another unexpected benefit is that mag-well hold also helps mitigate heat issue like OP mentioned.

By no means I am trying to advocate mag-well hold, just want to provide something I observed as another option for OP. Shooting situation is very dynamic, no simple "one stance/hold fits all", whatever floats your boat. I won't look down my nose at or mock people trying something not main stream. Anyway, that is how innovation came from and how our country being so great.

A cow saunters into a bar and says "hay" bartender and squashes a lame dog it didn't see sitting there.

Grabbing the mag well is like carrying a "blanky" around. It may make you feel secure, but you certainly aren't and you look childish doing it.

So high power shooters and people using silly guns. Gotcha ..

So our fellow shooters participate outlaw 3-gun match with rifle targets further than 300 yards are called high power shooters now. How smart the idea is! That may cover majority of the members here.

Guess a lot 3-gun pro shooters would felt embarrassed if they knew they got beat by "silly gun" in the hands of Daniel Horner.

Are they winning?

None of them won beauty contest where the looks are the decision factors.

Edited by maxima

The discussion has now moved on to debating the merits of a particular approach to addressing a hot hand guard. It has also gotten entertaining. Now that the revelation that the a certain member of the AMU has no need of a hand guard it has gotten even better. I still think that anyone in a yellow jersey could just yell "Pew, pew, pew" and point and the RO would call hits such is the power of the dark side.

Good thing there are lots of us idiots around to play (fight) with each other, otherwise I would just be playing with myself.

Edited by Stlhead

Nemesis lead this was never a good thread! You immediately got divergent info on heat sinks, para cord wraping....which does work but is bulky and all sorts of other crap. It is simple. Wrap the barrel in automotive header wrap, (keeps the heat in the barrel) or run heat shields in your handguard....a la a glacier guard for an M4....keeps the heat in the barrel. Wrap you handguard in para cord....keeps the heat in the barrel. Or wear a glove lets barrel cool...A BIT, but shooting a butt load of ammo in a short amount of time makes them HOT. No way around it. There is NO panacea, but if you are going to grab the mag well, glue on some pink silky material so folks know you are going for the "blanky" effect and accept LOTS of misses. :)

It is amazing that somebody would rather get support hand BBQed like hamburger in the middle of the high round count stage (and face the consequence in the following stages and the life after) than just simply move the hand to a cooler but not optimum position, as a last resort to avoid such the tragedy. Masochism? Now the implication that burnt hands can maintain accuracy better than a simple mag-well hold is really the finest of this thread.

This thread delivers.

Barbecuing and grilling are two very different ways to cook. I doubt anyone would ever barbeque a hamberger, but grilling would be common. A fore end, especially a vented one would be more like a grill, while your hand would be more like the meat you would barbeque so already your premise is breaking down. Remember chicks dig scars ;)

Nemesis, all grilling aside, I have shot the ironman more times than I can remember, the hard as hell match, the Montana multi gun (not a well known match, but a serious ammo burner), and the ITRC back in the day when the carbine round count was between three and four hundred rounds for a single string of fire, and pretty much every other major match in the western U.S. With the exception of Superstision. The first few years I did a ton of missing and wasted a ton of ammo. Never used a glove, never burned my hand, never gripped the mag well, never got a blister from my hand guard. I guess the JP models I prefer could be special, but I think any well vented aluminum free float would do just about as good. I have found letting your rifle sit in the sun for an hour makes it more uncomfortable than shooting it, I keep a beach towel in drag bag and cover my rifle and shotgun, or keep them in a sock to keep the sun off them, also keeps the dust down. Also, as I posted earlier in this thread, the more hitting you do the less shooting you do and the cooler the gun stays. If the rules allow shoot single alphas, hit the steel on the first shot, spin the spinner with 5.

Alrightythen.....Ill try to contribute something usefull.

Ive had good luck dealing with hot hand guards with Silver Ceramic header paint from the auto parts store. You remove the hand guard and tape the outside completely. Spray or brush (I find brushing best) several coats on the inside of the hand guard then re install it. I do it to all the hand guards I install and it makes a noticeable difference.

Tip: Spray the can into a appropriately sized disposable paint cup until you have a suitable amount to dip your brush in. Then dip your brush and paint away.....any extra that seeps onto the outside can easily be removed with lacquer thinner after you un-tape it.