Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Rarely Shot Guns

Smitty79

I shoot my USPSA Production gun 1000 rounds a month. I clean and lube it once a month. I do it before the practice session the week before the monthly match.

I have many other guns that get maybe 100 to 200 rounds a year. Mainly when I take friends to the range to try things out.

Should I clean and lube these other guns after every range trip? Once a year?

I may be anal, but I clean any firearm I plan on putting back in the safe for some period of time.

My USPSA blasters get cleaned before every match, this is a part of the routine for me.

I clean and lube my guns after every range trip, regardless, but I am also anal about it and I shoot corrosive ammo in some of them so it is a must (ie AK's, etc.)

When I used factory ammo I would put my guns up and clean them when I had some down time. Since I have been reloading, I clean my gun after every session. The reason being that titegroup is a very dirty powder and its much easier to clean the guns when the buildup is fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

I normally give'em a wipe over with some home made Ed's Red on a mop, let soak for a few minutes then wipe off with a soft cloth. I put a few drops of oil on a shaving brush and brush over the whole gun and put it back in the safe.

For long term storage I put the gun in a zip lock bag and squeeze as much air out as I can. I have an associate that uses a vacuum sealer to encapsulate his guns for storage, he claims that his guns are factory fresh each time he needs one.

I shoot my USPSA Production gun 1000 rounds a month. I clean and lube it once a month. I do it before the practice session the week before the monthly match.

I have many other guns that get maybe 100 to 200 rounds a year. Mainly when I take friends to the range to try things out.

Should I clean and lube these other guns after every range trip? Once a year?

Any of my low count guns get cleaned after the range trip because they're going to be sitting for a while. My competition gun gets shot from 3-5 days a week, I normally clean it a couple times a month.