Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4.5" 2011 Build with 5" Frame & Slide

Mike29

I want to get a 4.5" 2011 built. Can you take the 5" frame & 5" Unique slide & just cut them back half an inch, or do you need a different slide & frame? I assume the government rails versus commander rails on the frame come into play??

Thank you up front.

Edited by Mike29

I was under the impression that you will need to relieve just a tad inside the rear of the dust cover if you want to shorten a 5" frame.

Pardon my ignorance, but how would a 5" slide and frame work for a 4-1/2" gun? Won't the rear of the slide hang off the back of the frame when it's in battery?

Of course that should work in thinking about it...for some reason I'm was thinking it would need to be cut on the rear.

So, I guess that would work on most slides, as long as there's enough material left for the bushing on the front.

Of course that should work in thinking about it...for some reason I'm was thinking it would need to be cut on the rear.

So, I guess that would work on most slides, as long as there's enough material left for the bushing on the front.

A bushing barrel isn't normally used.

Thank you guys for the info. Can a bushing barrel be used? I have a Kart bushing barrel already. No big deal as I have another build that will stay Government length. If a bull needs to be used for a 4.5" build I will do that & use the Kart bushing for the 5" build.

Thank you guys for the info. Can a bushing barrel be used? I have a Kart bushing barrel already. No big deal as I have another build that will stay Government length. If a bull needs to be used for a 4.5" build I will do that & use the Kart bushing for the 5" build.

I think it depends on your slide. If there's enough material in the nose of the slide, it would be possible to cut 1/2" off, and recess the nose for the bushing.

OTOH, Maybe you can just get a 4-1/2" slide and cut your dust cover back. I've always been under the impression that the rear of the dust cover, which the recoil spring guide rests against, needs to be milled back a tad. The recoil spring is different, AFAIK.

I have never done it, the others here might be able to offer better advice. Think it through before you mill anything, IMO.

Edited by liber

I think it depends on your slide. If there's enough material in the nose of the slide, it would be possible to cut 1/2" off, and recess the nose for the bushing.

OTOH, Maybe you can just get a 4-1/2" slide and cut your dust cover back. I've always been under the impression that the rear of the dust cover, which the recoil spring guide rests against, needs to be milled back a tad. The recoil spring is different, AFAIK.

I have never done it, the others here might be able to offer better advice. Think it through before you mill anything, IMO.

This. :excl:

You can use a bushing, but you'll need to make a keyway cut inside the slide for the bushing tab to lock into. You'll also need to properly fit the bushing so the barrel can link down as it should.

I believe the OP is saying he has a 5" barrel. Once it was cut to 4.5, it would take an oversize bushing, as most barrels are turned down about ten thousandths behind the portion where the bushing locks up. Then, as ltdmstr points out, you would have to cut the bushing slot in the slide, fit the bushing, probably have to trim the bushing length for clearance (or use a commander bushing), and ensure the barrel has enough relief to link down (possibly turning the barrel down to clear the new oversize bushing). Or the barrel could be threaded and a cone could be fitted. Or he could get a new bushing barrel designed for 4.5" length, if one of the manufacturers would make it for him, and then cut the slot in the slide. Just not worth it if the OP doesn't mind using a 4.5 bull barrel.

Of course, opinions vary.

Edited by Shadow

This. :excl:

Why don't you post some pictures of one that you've done so he can see how to do it? A picture is worth a thousand words.

The OP said he had the bushing, and could use it on a 5" build if it wouldn't work for the 4-1/2". I got the impression he had a 4-1/2" kart barrel/bushing.

Edited by liber

cut your Kart barrel, thread about 1 inch at 40 threads per inch and install at tapered barrel sleeve. You can buy the barrel sleeve chambers customs pistols he has a web site.

Mike 29-

Tell the manufacturer its for a 4.5" slide when you order. If you already have a 5", call and ask the manufacturer if it will work in a 4.5" slide before you put any marks on it/cut it down. This has to do with the barrel contour/lock-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Why do you need/want a 4 1/2" gun? You are not talking much difference in weight than a 5" gun. Just curious. I made a 4.180" gun from a 5" 2011 frame and slide for IDPA with a bull barrel in 9mm. It fit all the rules at the time for ESP. Sweet little gun to shoot. Thanks, Eric