Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

federal #100 sp vs federal match #GM100M

3djedi

I usually use federal #100 sm primers but I asked for some for Christmas and my wife ended up getting the Federal Match sp primers. I'm almost out of the #100 and have 2000 of these match primers. Do you think there will be any noticeable difference in power factor or anything else? I'm just using mixed brass and 180g Xtreme HP's with titegroup........

They will be used for practice ammo and local matches......

They are identical except the match primers are made by employees who have a talent for making and loading the primer compound into the primer cups very consistently.

This level of consistency makes no difference in USPSA/IDPA games.

• 2 weeks later...

Bamboo hit the nail on the head. The match primers are just "more consistent" by those employees who can get the priming liquid more uniform in the cup. I shoot them in my revos (GM100Ms) mainly because I buy them in bulk and can usually find them near me. I have used the No. 100s plenty of times as well and can tell no discernible difference in my loads. I can still make them miss targets even with better components. :P

When I used the match primers, I did not notice any difference in softness. I think I asked around but no one had a good answer. I tried some out in my lightly sprung revolver and there was no difference I could find. I heard the same thing that they are more consistent.

Oddly enough, the Federal 100's I tested all made 134 PF with an 8 rd average..

I had some Gold medal match SPP's and decided to try them...

My average was 131, with a high of 141 and a low of 118... this with X-treme 147 RN sized .357 in a 5.5" 627-4 in 38 Super. Starline brass.

Fed SPP's give me a 134 PF with max 142 and min 129.. so I'm not sure where that 118 came from if they are in fact the same..

Oddly enough, the Federal 100's I tested all made 134 PF with an 8 rd average..

I had some Gold medal match SPP's and decided to try them...

My average was 131, with a high of 141 and a low of 118... this with X-treme 147 RN sized .357 in a 5.5" 627-4 in 38 Super. Starline brass.

Fed SPP's give me a 134 PF with max 142 and min 129.. so I'm not sure where that 118 came from if they are in fact the same..

Unless you weighed EVERY powder charge while loading, I'd say it wasn't the primers.

If you did weigh every charge then that is interesting and worth trying again.