Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Deltapoint issue

PrimaryBruce

Maybe its the milling of the slide that is off & not the Deltapoint.

I know 100% this isn't the case. I was there when it was milled and it was done by a machinist with a ton of experience doing far, far more technical things than milling a gun slide for a red dot.

A skilled machinist is able to do something wrong with great precision. :devil: I have used a total of 5 deltapoints in the last 4 years.. I mounted them on an AR with an offset mount, on a Mossberg 930 using a modified cross-slot mount and on a pistol with an Arrendondo mount. They all allowed more than sufficient +/- adjustment. You may of gotten a pig. Send it back and get it checked out. They will give you extra lock screws if you ask. But be sure to get a good quality Torx driver and don't use the little one that comes with the dot.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its the milling of the slide that is off & not the Deltapoint.

I know 100% this isn't the case. I was there when it was milled and it was done by a machinist with a ton of experience doing far, far more technical things than milling a gun slide for a red dot.

A skilled machinist is able to do something wrong with great precision. :devil: I have used a total of 5 deltapoints in the last 4 years.. I mounted them on an AR with an offset mount, on a Mossberg 930 using a modified cross-slot mount and on a pistol with an Arrendondo mount. They all allowed more than sufficient +/- adjustment. You may of gotten a pig. Send it back and get it checked out. They will give you extra lock screws if you ask. But be sure to get a good quality Torx driver and don't use the little one that comes with the dot.
After further reading that seems to be the first thing people say - not to use the crappy one Leupold sends with it.

And yeah, I would imagine that they'd at least give you a measly ~2" of adjustment. Not this one though.

They shouldnt move at all. I have 3 deltapoints. All of which will not move if lock screws are tight. They are set screws that tighten against the brass block that adjusts winadage and elevation.

OK, gotcha - on mine, looks like when the locking block is tight that my elevation has some 'slop' (a range the screw can move before it stops either direction), and windage can unscrew out, but brass block will stop before allowing more 'in'. So if I understand correctly, when setscrews are tight against brass block, the red dot won't move/drift, but my adjustment screws have been messed up at some point. (drift over, thx!!)

Edited by trgt

I've been having the optic for about a month now, and finally had time this morning to go zero it. Made sure the set screws on the rear were snug, and took a few shots. Windage was just about spot on, but it was shooting a little low. I decided to leave the windage alone for the time being and make an elevation adjustment. This is where everything went to hell. The arrow says "D" turn counter clockwise, so I turned it clock wise, to bring point of impact UP. I take a few more shots, and it didn't seem like it made any difference. I figured I just didn't adjust enough as having no clicks makes it tough to know how much you're turning. Well, apparently the sight came from Leupold basically maxed out on elevation as the screw would not turn in anymore to bring it up. And to make it even better, it apparently screwed down past the point of the threads in the optic itself, because it won't back out anymore either. Oh, and in the midst of all this, I managed to strip the pathetic excuse of a torx head screw. I guess my only option is to send it to Leupold for god only knows how long and hope they warrant it? Keep in mind, my first adjustment was maybe 1/4 turn in, meaning it basically came form the factory maxed out for whatever reason. Also, I did loosen the rear set screw before making the adjustment. Thoughts?

After spending $400 on this red dot, I have to say, I'm thoroughly disappointed. Especially considering all the good things I read about the Deltapoints.

I had stripped mine too. Worthless POS little headace torx junk. Less than two weeks in my hand they also adj the elevation to center. I mounted it. Good to go. Good luck, make sure you tell you are a active USPSA shooters....hint.

I've been having the optic for about a month now, and finally had time this morning to go zero it. Made sure the set screws on the rear were snug, and took a few shots. Windage was just about spot on, but it was shooting a little low. I decided to leave the windage alone for the time being and make an elevation adjustment. This is where everything went to hell. The arrow says "D" turn counter clockwise, so I turned it clock wise, to bring point of impact UP. I take a few more shots, and it didn't seem like it made any difference. I figured I just didn't adjust enough as having no clicks makes it tough to know how much you're turning. Well, apparently the sight came from Leupold basically maxed out on elevation as the screw would not turn in anymore to bring it up. And to make it even better, it apparently screwed down past the point of the threads in the optic itself, because it won't back out anymore either. Oh, and in the midst of all this, I managed to strip the pathetic excuse of a torx head screw. I guess my only option is to send it to Leupold for god only knows how long and hope they warrant it? Keep in mind, my first adjustment was maybe 1/4 turn in, meaning it basically came form the factory maxed out for whatever reason. Also, I did loosen the rear set screw before making the adjustment. Thoughts?

After spending $400 on this red dot, I have to say, I'm thoroughly disappointed. Especially considering all the good things I read about the Deltapoints.

I had stripped mine too. Worthless POS little headace torx junk. Less than two weeks in my hand they also adj the elevation to center. I mounted it. Good to go. Good luck, make sure you tell you are a active USPSA shooters....hint.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully they'll be more speedy. Lol

Cost me 30 shotgun slugs one day before I learned you move the dot from the aiming point to the point of impact.

So you don't adjust it like an EOTECH or any other scope where you make your adjustments in the direction you want the impact to go?

Usually if you're hitting low, you'd adjust the optic UP. Is this not the case with a Deltapoint?

You are thinking about this exactly opposite, and I suggest you may want to get someone with some experience to help you.

When you move the dot down, it requires you to raise the muzzle higher to have the dot on the same spot, which causes the point of impact to move up. It doesn't matter what brand of optic you are using, lowering the dot will cause your point of impact to rise. Same with crosshairs in a scope, when you are adjusting to raise point of impact the horizontal crosshar is actually being moved downward. It's a simple law of physics, and brand or type of scope or arguing about it won't change it.

I use a Deltapoint on one of my open guns, one I shot in a match yesterday. My only beef with them has been the tiny little adjustment screws, and having to remove the optic to change the battery, instead of having some type of drawer. The batteries last a long time though, and they hold zero very well. A deltapoint on one of my son's open guns took a hit and we sent it to Leupold and they sent him a new one for $75.

ON EDIT: Think about the exercise of adjusting a scope's crosshairs to the point of impact. If you are hitting low, you adjust the horizontal crosshair to the level of impact. You are lowering the crosshair to make the gun shoot higher.

Edited by drysideshooter

Cost me 30 shotgun slugs one day before I learned you move the dot from the aiming point to the point of impact.

So you don't adjust it like an EOTECH or any other scope where you make your adjustments in the direction you want the impact to go?

Usually if you're hitting low, you'd adjust the optic UP. Is this not the case with a Deltapoint?

You are thinking about this exactly opposite, and I suggest you may want to get someone with some experience to help you.

When you move the dot down, it requires you to raise the muzzle higher to have the dot on the same spot, which causes the point of impact to move up. It doesn't matter what brand of optic you are using, lowering the dot will cause your point of impact to rise. Same with crosshairs in a scope, when you are adjusting to raise point of impact the horizontal crosshar is actually being moved downward. It's a simple law of physics, and brand or type of scope or arguing about it won't change it.

I use a Deltapoint on one of my open guns, one I shot in a match yesterday. My only beef with them has been the tiny little adjustment screws, and having to remove the optic to change the battery, instead of having some type of drawer. The batteries last a long time though, and they hold zero very well. A deltapoint on one of my son's open guns took a hit and we sent it to Leupold and they sent him a new one for $75.

ON EDIT: Think about the exercise of adjusting a scope's crosshairs to the point of impact. If you are hitting low, you adjust the horizontal crosshair to the level of impact. You are lowering the crosshair to make the gun shoot higher.

I understand. I have zeroed several red dots and scopes. You adjust the cross hairs or dot in the direction you want impact to be. Ex: shooting left, you would adjust the optic whichever direction it says for right.

Just spoke to Leupold. Guy sounded genuinely concerned and said definitely send it back. If it can't be fixed they'll completely replace it. He said they're running around 18 days lead time on warranty work. If it needs to be replaced it will be longer as the Deltapoints are in que for production right now.

I sent my 3 year old Deltapoint in for new f'n torx screws, over the winter. I ask them to call me, for a credit card number. However, the sight came back in 15 days, free of charge.

I do like the Leupold brand, and use their scopes on my hunting revolver, and long range rifle. :bow:

I sent my 3 year old Deltapoint in for new f'n torx screws, over the winter. I ask them to call me, for a credit card number. However, the sight came back in 15 days, free of charge.

I do like the Leupold brand, and use their scopes on my hunting revolver, and long range rifle. :bow:

I imagine Leupold knows full well that in hindsight, they screwed up with the torx screws. That was probably one of,if not the main reason for the Deltapoint Pro. If I knew Leupold would do it, I'm almost tempted to ask if I can upgrade to the Pro but I know they don't do any sort of sales or anything factory direct. Plus as far as I know the Pros are not available at all at the moment. $600 for the Pro is also pretty damn steep. $400 for the Deltapoint was just about my ceiling for what I'm ok with paying for a pistol red dot. Edited by bruceg

I have a solidly mounted ransom rest that I can bolt onto the back bumper of my old jeep. Ill attach my open revo to it and shoot a couple of groups, then adjust the dot to the center of the group and lock it down. saves a lot of time and bullets in getting it adjusted.

I have a solidly mounted ransom rest that I can bolt onto the back bumper of my old jeep. Ill attach my open revo to it and shoot a couple of groups, then adjust the dot to the center of the group and lock it down. saves a lot of time and bullets in getting it adjusted.

I believe when I receive the optic back from Leupold that I'm going to figure out some kind of rest to zero it. Unfortunately my local pistol range has no bench or anything you can shoot off of. I'm thinking maybe one of those portable tripods or something that hunters carry with then when they hunt on the move. Otherwise I can only get it so close just free hand shooting. Edited by bruceg

Invest in a laser bore sighter, such as http://sitelite-lasers.com/index.htmland adjust the dot to the laser projected at your c hosen zero distance. I use 10y for pistol, that i can do in my house or hotel room.

Yup, I sighted in a DP on an AR by sighing in on my neighbors house across the street. :surprise: I also used the same trick on a Mossberg 930 and was getting slugs on POA at 50 yards. I used in on my STI 9mm and was about 1" within zero at 15 yards when I finally got to the range. (That was elevation, windage was right on) And it is handy to re-check zero pretty much anywhere you need to!

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I have the 3.5 moa dot, so it's the size of a 9mm hole at 10y, and that's where the hole appears when I fire a shot, +/- a bullet diameter. Chamber laser for rifle/shotgun due to muzzle devices.

I have the 3.5 moa dot, so it's the size of a 9mm hole at 10y, and that's where the hole appears when I fire a shot, +/- a bullet diameter. Chamber laser for rifle/shotgun due to muzzle devices.

Wow very nice. I went ahead and bought one that you chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm quite impressed with Leupold right now. I have "UPS My Choice" and just got an email with tracking info saying I have a package set to be delivered from them tomorrow. It was shipped out 6/02, which is not even one week after they received it. Friggin awesome.

Guess I started bragging way too early.

Just got the sight back and it looks like they haven't even touched it. Elevation screw is still broken just like when I sent it. Oh, and they apparently lost the windage screw, because it's missing all together out the red dot.

Talk about awesome service...

I just got notification that mine delivered today. I hope I got better service than you!

Good luck, man! I'm pretty pissed to say the least. I called and of course they emailed a new tracking label and said they would expedite it to the front of the warranty line...but man this is flat out unacceptable. I'm probably just going to sell the gun and optic once I get it back. Partially because I'm just over it and because I have other obligations I should put the money to. Edited by bruceg

I sent one of mine off after the diode detached itself from the windage/elevation block. Told them I was a competitive shooter had it back in 2 weeks. Sent it May 18 it was back in hand June 1. Everything was fixed perfectly.

I just got notification that mine delivered today. I hope I got better service than you!

Good luck, man! I'm pretty pissed to say the least. I called and of course they emailed a new tracking label and said they would expedite it to the front of the warranty line...but man this is flat out unacceptable. I'm probably just going to sell the gun and optic once I get it back. Partially because I'm just over it and because I have other obligations I should put the money to.

NOPE - Same as you - got it back, still in the exact same condition I sent it to them in. In hold with them now, getting ready to ream them out.

Good luck, man! I'm pretty pissed to say the least. I called and of course they emailed a new tracking label and said they would expedite it to the front of the warranty line...but man this is flat out unacceptable. I'm probably just going to sell the gun and optic once I get it back. Partially because I'm just over it and because I have other obligations I should put the money to.

NOPE - Same as you - got it back, still in the exact same condition I sent it to them in. In hold with them now, getting ready to ream them out.

Wow man, that's absolutely pathetic. WTF is going on over there? I sent them a realll nice letter along with mine when I sent it back out AGAIN today.

Edited by bruceg