Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throttling yourself

iweiny

I realized something over the weekend. I have no idea how to control my speed while going through a stage.

My wife and I caught the Limited Nationals on TiVo and it was amazing how fast everyone was but what was more amazing was the control they seemed to have. Close/open targets were shot fast, while longer/covered targets were shot a bit slower.

We watched this on Friday before Saturdays match.

Then we get to the match and the first stage was a classifier. I started out kinda quick until I hit a no shoot, and slowed down. Then after the mandatory reload I come back through the targets at my slow pace and hit another no shoot on the same target!!! WTF I say to myself and shoot the final 3 targets really fast and drill 3 A's... This is VERY obvious when watching the video BTW.

Then I shoot the next 3 stages gradulaly speeding up. On the last stage of the match there were no no-shoots and lots of close targets and I "fly" through the stage. (At least by my standards) I get mostly A's and feel really good about myself. But I realize that...

I have NO THROTTLE CONTROL. I have like 3 speeds (slow, med, fast) and most of the time I can't switch between them during a stage. If the stage is hard (ie has difficult shots I either go to fast and mess up those difficult shots or go slow and make a good score with a slow time.) But not EVERY shot on the stage required that level of sight picture... :(

Any advice? It seems to me the ideal situation would be to vary your speed/sight picture acording to the shot. Farther, no-shoot covered targets would require a slower shot while speed can be allowed to take over on closer shots...

Anyway, just something I have thought about. I do PPC shooting to get accuracy but I can do that in my slow to medium speed and there is no requirement to speed up or slow down "on the fly"...

Does anyone do any drills to work on this?

Ira

It seems to me the ideal situation would be to vary your speed/sight picture acording to the shot. 

This is starting down the correct path but maybe not quite right.

This might help you ...

let your eyes dictate the speed you shoot at

I know it's cryptic, but you're touching on the fringe of what to me is a more advanced concept. You should study these posts and not think of top speed as orginating your body ... it comes from your eyes.

Also, there is no "slow, med, fast" ... there is only the amount of time it takes to accomplish the hit you want.

Finally, as far as the no shoots go ... since they are not what you are shooting at, they don't exist.

Your throttle is your vision, in the end. You can shoot as fast as you can visually confirm that you have an appropriate sight picture for the shot you're trying to make. The more experience you gain, the faster you'll find yourself picking up the right sight picture and breaking the shot - and you'll learn what's acceptable for a given shot, as well. Then, you simply shoot as quickly as you can obtain appropriate sight pictures :)

I watched the Limited Nats, too - those guys see real fast (and hence shoot real fast, too). The reason you see a difference in pace is because of the above - they're (generally) staying patient, and only breaking the shot when they can confirm a sight picture. So, more difficult shots on the longer hardcover targets take longer, and the up close stuff is total hose - but it's all based on what they need to see to break the shot and confirm their hits....

As far as drills, Phil has a good suggestion - mix up difficult shots w/ less difficult shots, etc. But, while you're doing it, focus on what you see. One time, try to go as fast as you can. Next time, strive to see a perfect sight picture on each and every shot. Third time, look for the balance in between that allows you to see what you need for each target. Etc.....

And, read Brian's book :)

Dave

Well to be certain, more experience is necessary. I have only been shooting IPSC for a few months...

Thanks again for the comments. I have read at least one of the topics you refered me to. I should read again.

Yea I guess I did not realize what "throttle" might mean to others. I just could not explain it any other way... After Saturdays classifier I should "throttle" myself... ;)

Oh and I realize that there SHOULD be no "slow, med, fast" but that seems to be the level I am at and I want to be better... ;)

Thanks again,

Ira

Oh and I realize that there SHOULD be no "slow, med, fast" but that seems to be the level I am at and I want to be better...

I think many of us here understand that... and I'd also guess that most who have "some time behind gun" would agree that the sooner you can loose that idea the faster you will progress. Replace ideas of speed with the actuality required for consistent, precise, high-speed shooting: What do you have to see and do to know for sure whether (or not) each shot hits the target, at the instant if fires? Although this is not easy or quick to learn, you'll progress faster if you turn down that road today.

be

Brian hit it more clearly and concisely than I can (as expected) :)

One bit I'll add - it was frustrating for me at first to have the mental concept that he's describing, but not have the empirical data to back it up (ie, I hadn't experienced those things while shooting at that point). I didn't know what awareness really was until I recognized it. Then, I didn't know what focus really was, or what it meant to truly understand what I needed to see and be patient enough to see it every time (and, with 5 years off, now, I probably still don't! :) It took me almost a year and a half to start to really understand the stuff I read in Brian's book, for instance - I mean understand it at a gut level, and not in my conscience mind. It takes time, patience, practice....

So, be patient and trust that it will come if you remain open and pursue it. Keep a journal if it helps (it did help me), seek out exercises and games to play in practice that will help you explore and expand your bounds in all directions - speed, accuracy, efficiency, etc (that helped me a bunch, too). You'll begin to understand what everyone is talking about as you have those little "Aha!!!" moments :)

Dave