Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No health insurance

Merlin Orr

The little lady has been sick for a couple of weeks with chest congestion so I took her to the local doctor a couple of days ago. The x rays showed some dark spots in her lungs so off to the hospital for a CT scan and then another "something scan."

$6,300.00 later we get the word all is well - no problems. Dammmmnnnn! Sure seems like two 10 min. procedures could be done for a little less $$$...

On the good side - Good Report! No problems a little R&R won't cure. :D

After 3 days I can again take a deep breath!

Merlin,

keep in mind that you may be able to negotiate a lower rate, or that depending on your income level, there may be a sliding scale. Then again, hopefully you make enough scratch, that while annoying you can afford to shell out the bucks....

Glad to hear that all is well......

Carol's been out with back pain for the last couple of weeks, I'm waiting for the MRI invoice......

If you don't have health insurance there may be some alternatives. I went through an exhaustive search which for me was difficult because both my wife and I are over 50. It's nearly impossible to get individual health insurance over 50, but some states have alternatives. Check out the following websight for your state:

http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/

Inquire at the Patient Financial Services department at your hospital. They can refer you to some programs or benefits. There are grants and funds some hospitals receive that cover low- to modest-income folks, for example, in their medical needs.

(How do you THINK I managed to have a $26,000 hip replacement, anyway...??!!) :rolleyes:

ALSO: Ask the individual doctors, technicians and service providers that have billed you if they have hardship allowances or allowances that match your income level. Some doctors and services have their OWN discount programs or financial assistance for certain income levels. Ask EVERYBODY you did business with.

Seriously. Ask them all what various levels of support or assistance they offer. It could be the difference between 'doing without' for ages (while you pay the bills) or a relative comfort zone. B)

Nice to hear she's doin' fine, too. I can dig it.

Money comes and goes, but best to have Mrs. Merlin healthy and happy!

What Jay said. This is the way I look at the whole experience.

The money is not too big a blow. "Your cash ain't nothing but trash." Its just the idea that 20 minutes of work can be so expensive! I will say that after the thoughts that had been in my mind for the better part of three days - I was SO relieved with the news that I forgot to bitch about the amount spent.

Thanks for the comments to all.... :)

Merlin,

I recently found myself w/o health insurance. COBRA was $ 1K / month ! OUCH

I fired up the WWW and went to Bluecross. Better coverage than my former employer and only $ 204 / month for the whole family.

What I hate is seeing providers charge 2 to 6 times the "negotiated insurance rate" if you pay cash up front instead of insurance later. I had a stress test and scan at a local hospital a few years ago (a pretty much routine 40th birthday present from my doctor). Negotiated "paid in full" HMO payment which was largely covered - $425. "Private pay" price for the uninsured for the identical service would have been over $2600.

Dental work for a relative? $660 billed w/20% copay - later reduced to $240 w/20% copay under employer provided dental plan contract. Yes, the dentist refunded his overpayment.

Merlin,

I hope your wife gets better soon. I understand what you're going through. I've been through it. It is costly.... But realize what you would do if you were not around is another matter. Take care of your loved ones, even though they do not know....

jj

I had a dose of it and it cost me 5 g's. But I gather from it, it is worth more than ten fold....sorry if i'm out of topic.

I wish you the best,

jj

I'm glad that your wife is ok.

As someone keeps on reminding me, MRI's are expsensive. The machines cost insane amounts of money and only have so many opertating hours into them before the the bite the dust or get replaced with the next version. They need to be payed off within that time and thus their price per hour is very high before you even count the price of the specialized staff running it.

This isnt however a defence of medical billing practices. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I suspect the current system if going to see a "crash" sooner or later as its heading to the loony bin right now.

Hey Buddy...

I have been there and know what you feel...I am so glad that nothing wrong was found....the same kind of thing with my older son...

The financial thing will resolve itself over a bit of time, but the love you share with Mrs. Merlin, doesn't have a price tag...Glad she is ok.... :D

Wink

I'm glad that your wife is ok.

As someone keeps on reminding me, MRI's are expsensive. The machines cost insane amounts of money and only have so many opertating hours into them before the the bite the dust or get replaced with the next version. They need to be payed off within that time and thus their price per hour is very high before you even count the price of the specialized staff running it.

This isnt however a defence of medical billing practices. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I suspect the current system if going to see a "crash" sooner or later as its heading to the loony bin right now.

another problem: Small town of 40k people and we have 3 facilities that each ahve their own MRI machines. They each have one because they feel the need to compete with each other.

Merlin,

Glad to hear all came out well in the end. That is all that matters :)