Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullets out mag pouch

jbultman

Hey all, I shoot production and I'm looking to switch to a bullets out set up after the buckeye blast this weekend. I don't want to go whole hog and purchase the 5-6 pouches required for competition. I'm thinking about doing one. Setting it up and seeing how I like it...

First off, anyone have opinions on the switch?

Secondly, the two that seem to be available and in my price range are the ghost 360 and DAA racer. Does anyone have experience with either of those. It seems like the ghosts have a wide base to them and wouldn't really save any room. What is the retention like on the DAA?

Comments, concerns, thoughts would all be appreciated. Anything would be helpful ... Thanks!

DAA retention is excellent, even with the tensioning screw backed all the way out. Once on your belt, they are not going to move. The DAA pouches come set up for bullets forward. Changing to out is tedious. I don't care for the Ghost pouches. That's why I bought the DAA.

Tried bullets out and didn't like it. To be honest, I may not have given it a fair shot. I tried it for an hour and found it slow. Maybe after a month I would develop muscle memory. I wasn't willing to experiment at matches and possibly have to switch back again. I stayed with forward, because I was so much faster that way.

I have the Ghost pouches I use for Production. They are pretty nice for the money. All my other mag pouches are DAA but I went with the Ghost for my Production rig. I set them bullets out (comes with two pouches, 1-bullets out, 1-bullets forward) and it really felt odd for a while but I'm getting used to it. By setting them bullets out, you have more room between mags to grab them. You don't save any room on the belt since the belt attachment is the same but if you set them bullets forward, you need more space each pouch to easily grab each mag. The price is really good and retention is pretty good.

I know ready tactical has one that is supposed to take up less space on the belt. I use their normal mag pouches and I have no problems with 4 on the belt. Bullets out just seems like it would be odd to grab quickly.

I use the ghost pouches. When the tension clips break...............and they will. I will go with the double alpha pouches.

You can't get the ghost pouch tension clips separately. The double alpha tension blocks will never break.

If I could go back, I would have purchased the double alpha to start.

I use the ghost pouches. When the tension clips break...............and they will. I will go with the double alpha pouches.

You can't get the ghost pouch tension clips separately. The double alpha tension blocks will never break.

How many "loads" do you have on your pouches now? I've already talked to people that had them almost a year and they practice/shoot a lot and never broke one yet. They also came with extras so you shouldn't need any for a long time.

How many "loads" do you have on your pouches now? I've already talked to people that had them almost a year and they practice/shoot a lot and never broke one yet. They also came with extras so you shouldn't need any for a long time.

I have no idea how much use I got out of the mag holders before I needed to replace the tension clips. I didn't get 2 years out of them, I know that.

I don't believe I received "extras". What I got was a 2 sets of tension clips. One set for tighter fit and one for loose fit. So, if your set up with a tight fit you can only replace with a loose clip.

All I know is I needed a few more and had no choice other than buying a new mag holder.

I like the ghost mags, except for the clip replacement option.

For a few more dollars I will get the double alpha product the next time my clips break. Those clips can't break under regular use.

Just an update for all y'all... I decided on the racers. Only about $50 more overall for alot more flexibility. I will be able to run them closer together and the adjustability for if I decide to move divisions in the future was all worth it for me. A little time setting them up for bullets out is no biggie for me. They should hopefully be in to complete my production rig sometime this week, just in time for some dry fire practice and off to a local club match for trial next weekend!

I use the ghost pouches bullets out . I haven't used the DAA so I cannot elaborate much on those , however for the money you can't go wrong with the ghost pouches , price may be cheap but they are pretty robust imo .