Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disable Safariland ALS Retention

theunloader

Hi all.

I just recently switched CDP with a Glock 41 this year, and I'm looking for a holster. I wanted a Safariland, but unfortunately they don't offer the 5197 or 5198 for the G41, which left me looking at an almost identical holster with the ALS retention system. Has anyone had any experience permanently disabling the ALS on a Safariland?

I should also mention that I tried the gun in all my G34 holsters and although the slide fit because the two guns' slides are the same dimensions the grip was a little too meaty and got wouldn't go all the way into my 5198.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

-Parker

Without the ALS in the holster there will be no retention. It will simply be a gun in a shell. Any running or quick movements could dislodge the gun and send you to DQ or worse.

I have used the ALS system for years. I believe it actually helps achieve a good high grip on a pistol. The placement of the button is perfect on my M&P holsters. Once the thumb hits the ALS the pistol simply lifts with no resistance unlike your typical kydex "squeeze" type holsters. Ihave a DAA racer for limited and several ALS holsters for 3gun and formerly limited in USPSA. My draw times are the same between holsters. The ALS is in no way slowing me down (just my lack of skill). Try a 6377 or 6378 or the new 7 series as a lower cost ($40) holster. I dont think you will be dissappointed and the ALS sytem will not be an issue.

Hi all.

I just recently switched CDP with a Glock 41 this year, and I'm looking for a holster. I wanted a Safariland, but unfortunately they don't offer the 5197 or 5198 for the G41, which left me looking at an almost identical holster with the ALS retention system. Has anyone had any experience permanently disabling the ALS on a Safariland?

I should also mention that I tried the gun in all my G34 holsters and although the slide fit because the two guns' slides are the same dimensions the grip was a little too meaty and got wouldn't go all the way into my 5198.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

-Parker

Personally, I'd leave it in there. The ALS holsters are super fast anyway........

I had the same question. I borrowed an ALS holster for my first match and was a little worried I wouldn't be able to reliable actuate the thumb switch to draw the pistol. However, I had no issues with the borrowed holster so I bought the same model for myself.

I'm sure I've missed the thumb switch at least once and gotten hung up for a second, but I honestly don't remember doing it in a match. It's very intuitive.