Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JHPs - Expected Better Accuracy

ES13Raven

I have been using Xtreme 147gr RN for 7000 rounds, both in my Glocks and CZ SP-01. My groups from a rest at 25 yards have always been "OK".

Looking to improve accuracy, I read a lot online about best 9mm bullet type for accuracy 35 yards and less. Most of the information I came across said the 124gr jacketed hollow point should get the job done.

I bought some Precision Delta 124 JHPs, and researched loads shooters were getting good results with using the CZ SP01 and TiteGroup. I found one shooter who did extensive testing with a ransom rest, different guns, different loads etc. He was getting sub 2" 10-shot groups with PD 124gr JHPs at 25 yards. The ransom rest takes the shooter out of the equation, so accuracy is purely mechanical.

I decided to try his load, but was not impressed with the accuracy over the Xtreme 147gr RN.

Are my results typical? Or should I expect more out of the 124 JHP?

All shots from a rest @ 25 yards, using the black dot as the aiming point:

Xtreme 147gr RN, 3.2gr TG, 1.138 OAL, 131PF
1st 5 shots - 147:
IUzjndh.png?2

2nd 5 shots - 147:
BSj4K6S.png?1

PD 124gr JHP, 4.0gr TG, 1.10 OAL, 135PF
1st 5 shots - 124:
9XQJcjo.png?1

2nd 5 shots - 124:
hZ19Gb2.png?1

Not a fair test using only one powder charge & OAL. Either, or both of those changes would make a difference. Just because that load works in someone else's gun, doesn't mean it will be the most accurate in yours.

I would not be happy with any of those groups with either bullet weight. Sometimes the smallest things can make major changes in group sizes. I would first experiment with the OAL just to see if They tighten up any and if not change powders and try that next. Your gun may not like TiteGroup and may prefer something else. Just try different things and you will soon find a combination that will work better. Most of mine start out just like yours, I just keep making little changes until I get what I want.

While they may be to the right, the groups for the 124gr look slightly smaller to me than the 147s? FWIW, Sometimes I get better hits and more natural POI shooting offhand. "Off a rest" sometimes does weird things to the groups compared to offhand, the way you would be shooting in a match.

and +1 to trying different powders, OAL, etc.

+(another)1 on trying different powder charges and OALs. If your barrel hasnt been reamed, you're probably limited by OAL, but I saw huge differences in groups from 1.100 to 1.145 with the best groups coming in the middle of that range.

FWIW.. PD's didnt give me great accuracy (in a CZ or 1911). I found better with coated lead and Zero's.

I would not be happy with any of those groups with either bullet weight. Sometimes the smallest things can make major changes in group sizes. I would first experiment with the OAL just to see if They tighten up any and if not change powders and try that next. Your gun may not like TiteGroup and may prefer something else. Just try different things and you will soon find a combination that will work better. Most of mine start out just like yours, I just keep making little changes until I get what I want.

SP-01's are short throated so I can't go much higher than 1.10 without reaming, and SAAMI low end is 1.000 so I don't have much to play with. I only have TiteGroup at the moment. What other powders do you recommend?

Chrono results looked OK for the 124s:

Shots = 15

AVG = 1089

SD = 9.54

ES = 41

More of a problem is what's available. I have had really good luck lately with ETR7 which is normally available from Expansion Industries. RS Competition, e3, SR-7625, Red Dot which is showing up more often now, American Select or any of the fast burning powders that you can lay your hands on. Just try something different to see if it helps. WST and 231 are showing up in most places now also. You may get lucky and find your magic on the first try and I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes these things take a while but I am sure you will get there.

While they may be to the right, the groups for the 124gr look slightly smaller to me than the 147s? FWIW, Sometimes I get better hits and more natural POI shooting offhand. "Off a rest" sometimes does weird things to the groups compared to offhand, the way you would be shooting in a match.

I was using a rest that supports the dust cover and magazine - it is very stable.

I also tried a rest that just supported my wrists, so nothing was touching the gun. I had similar results.

FWIW, Sometimes I get better hits and more natural POI shooting offhand. "Off a rest" sometimes does weird things to the groups compared to offhand, the way you would be shooting in a match.

I do offhand testing after bench-rest to see any differences. But I want to bench rest to see what the gun and load are capable of with as little effect from the shooter as possible. If I get a mike, I want to know it was me - not the gun.

I've sometimes had issues with hp bullets not being "even" in the hollow part. Meaning you could look down the bullet from the front and just tell it would be out of balance spinning around its center axis.

BE member "Darrell" is the man when it comes to posting load info. for members. Darrell, if you read this THANK YOU for always posting data!

I find it great to compare his/feedback

Here are a couple of his threads & posts:

Power Pistol & 124 MG HP

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112892

Precision Delta 124 JHP Test

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81857

Edited by SPDGG

Are they really copper jacketed hollow points? I got some JHP from Freedom Munitions recently in 124 gr that looked like chocolate dipped cones at Dairy Queen. They are actually plated bullets in the shape of jacket hollow points. Lot of dispersion. Not jacketed hollow points. Atlanta Arms and Ammo made some unbelievable 147gr jacketed hollow points that were extremely accurate during the Dave Sevigny era at Glock. They were Team Glock loads. They don't exist anymore. I have a few cases for use when needed. I don't reload, but I do know those were the most accurate bullets for 9mm out of Glocks. Black Hills 124 gr round nose were close as well. Pretty much, plated bullets are not as good. DVC