Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Mag in the Dust

Smitty79

I shoot an SP-01 Shadow for Production.

I have a mix of Mec-Gar AFC mags and SP-01 mags with Springer Precision base pads to make them all handle the same.

I usually shoot near Portland Oregon. I've never had a problem with the Mec-Gar mags anywhere any time. I did have some problems with the SP-01 mags until I put a 12# recoil spring in the gun and Wolfe +10% springs in the mags. After that, everything worked fine near Portland. I clean the mags once a month or when I drop them in a puddle.

This last weekend, I went to Nampa Idaho to take a class (Thanks Dave for setting this up and thanks Ben for a great class). Dusty doesn't begin to express it.

On day one, I had one failure to feed jam. Foolishly, I forgot my magazine cleaning stuff. So overnight, all I could to was take all of the mags apart and ran a paper towel through to clean out any dust and powder residue.

The next day, I had jamming problems on almost every stage. On one stage, I shot 2 shots and then got a click. Tap, rack, click, reload and keep shooting. Ben thought I had a down loaded magazine on my belt. I found that there will still 9 rounds in it rattling around because the follower was frozen. Early on, I started tossing magazines, that had failures, into the bag to not be used again. Once 3 were in the bag, that were all SP-01 mags, the others joined them.

The Mec-Gars performed flawlessly. The SP-01 mags are now my dry fire mags.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have been that way from the start. Even better, would be to sell the SP-01 mags and buy more Mec-Gar mags.

Agree. The mecgars have been awesome regardless of how beat up they are. The sp01s, even with the extra power springs, tend to have the rounds nosedive even with the mags partially loaded.

Agree. The mecgars have been awesome regardless of how beat up they are. The sp01s, even with the extra power springs, tend to have the rounds nosedive even with the mags partially loaded.

I have had this happen to me on more than one occasion.

Based on things I heard about the SP-01 mags, I pretty much reserve those just for dry-fire (loaded with dummies) and use the MecGar 17 rnders for live fire.

You think Nampa was dusty? Try Southern Utah or the Parma-powder in Parma, ID.

No thanks. I like the fact that I only have to dig down an inch or 2 two to find mud, even in August.

Based on things I heard about the SP-01 mags, I pretty much reserve those just for dry-fire (loaded with dummies) and use the MecGar 17 rnders for live fire.

looking forward to that at MGM Ironman.