Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New JP Rifle issues

legion85

I have seen the primer in the gas key happen once- to a student in a defensive rifle course. Quickly became an amateur armorer's course, and I stepped in when I saw the Leathermans come out :surprise: . He had been shooting xm193s, and with the pinned and welded 14.5" barrel, fireball was significant. A large amount of his brass showed pressure signs, and 3 primers were missing besides the one that ended up in the gas key. Always a good idea to look at the bras coming out of your gun occasionally to see if something funky is happening. I have seen at least 5 rifles quit during a stage in major matches from primers bouncing around inside and locking up the trigger mechanism. Not good!

accu-wedge is a great way to turn it back into a single shot. superfluous at best to the ar platform and in my experience and opinion, harmful to it.

What's wrong with the accuwedge? Why would it turn rifle into a single shot?

Tito

Live primers falling out of cases of unfired rounds suck, too. I reamed primer pockets too aggressively during case preparation, leading to too lose primer pockets. I would fire a round and the following round's live primer would fall out of the case, causing a dummy round. It's not as bad as a primer going into the gas key, though. Lesson learned.

So would I, and I have run them in a metric ton of rifles.....or at least 400-500 pounds worth :)

I have even gone so far as bedding the upper to the lower with accu-steel and as long as the bolt carrier doesn't hit the stock tube or drag its all good. I run an Accu-Wedge in both my practice rifles, and I have won a bunch of stuff over seas with my practice rifle....... do tell!!!

Edited by kurtm

I too have installed more than a few. I have not found that they have a significant effect on accuracy, at least not on otherwise mil-type carbines, but they do definitely remove the rattle of poorly fitted receivers. I have never had one cause problems, but then I haven't tried to salvage any receiver sets that were mismatched enough to allow the carrier to drag in the buffer tube, either. It is a little off-topic in this thread, but looking forward to an explanation! :)