Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting a GP100? In Open?

Rudukai13

I'm curious if anyone here currently uses or had used a Ruger GP100 for competition, in particular interested in anyone who has modified one for Open division?

I'm planning to pick up a 6" blued GP100 soon, and although I won't be competing, I would like to incorporate some competition components to make it perform better and more fun to shoot. My thoughts currently include the mounting of a Weigand picatinny rail mount (http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-GP100-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html), a C-More Railway, and of course some gunsmithing to smooth out the action, lighten the trigger, and possibly cut some material out of the underlug to lighten the gun overall as well as for aesthetics.

If anyone has ever built up a GP100 in a similar manner, please post! And please include pictures!!

I used a GP-100 to shoot local steel matches for a few seasons. They hold up well to hard use.

The trigger was always pretty smooth in double action. Ruger polished the internal parts in tumbler that left a clean glasslike surface except where they grind the final sear surfaces. Cleaning those areas up went pretty quick.

The real stumbling block to having a light and reliable trigger in the Ruger GP revolver is the absurdly heavy firing-pin spring they use.

The firing pin is retained by a cross pin that is blended into the frame so its a challange to remove the firing pin or its spring. To do a proper job of removing the factory pin requires the services of a machine shop. There is no need to blend the replacement retainer pin to match the contour of the frame but I'd definitely consider the original pin as sacrificial.

Also Ruger has not really embraced the idea of racing firearms. If you are on good terms with a smith who works on Rugers and who can get/make the appropriate parts then you are halfway along on your project.

I thought about getting a beater to tinker with but right about that time, revolver prices started to, shall we say, appreciate. I found an old k-frame and shelved the idea of tricking out a GP.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for your reply, great info! Since I'm not concerned about getting the revolver "competition-ready", I'll probably go by modifying it with the easier bolt-on components first, then find a good local Ruger-knowledgable smith and start getting the custom machining work bit by bit - ported barrel, trigger/action job, target crown, and lightened underlug are all on the list (in no particular order).

Nobody else has any thoughts? Doesn't have to be info specifically regarding an Open division GP100 - anyone who's owned one for defense, hunting, etc. and just has any general tips/tricks to getting the most out of the gun would be greatly appreciated!

Steve Thornton out of Indiana shoots a Ruger in ICORE. He has done some things that you would be interested in. I used to have his number but I lost it. You might try a Google search. I don't know if he gets on Brian Enos. If you do reach him tell him Dean Gomez gave you his name.

Harold Nicholson modified a GP-100 for me. He rechambered it from 357 to 40S&W, replaced and contoured the barrel, and slicked up the action. I just need to get home so I can spend some time with it. I am very happy with it. I specially like the way that he contoured the barrel. It balances a lot nicer than the 6" GP-100.

Sent my 6" GP100 to Virginia last year to Dave Clements in Virginia and had it converted to .40. I've shot 1" groups with it @ 50 yards as a .357. Really looking forward to seeing what it'll do as a .40. I've only shot it once since I got it back but need to play with it some more. His conversion cut the entire back of the cylinder down to fit the moonclips rather than milling it out. I need to get some pictures taken and post them.

Being as Ruger is the Classic Nationals Sponsor, giving out 11 firearms as prizes, maybe they are at least seeing there is a "competitive community"?

Hopefully the next step will be recognizing their pistols and revolvers could be used there?

And Santa did pay me a visit last year! :roflol:

But I'd rather be eternally optimistic, than well...

I'm about half way through doing an action job on my 4" GP-100, including honing, polishing, spring lightening and shimming.

Let's just say that once you open one up and try to smooth it out, you realise it ain't no Smith & Wesson :)

Very interested to see how nice I can get it.