Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR

Gunmetal

I was told this weekend that if I don't have my SBR in a living trust that once I die the gun goes to the Government. It can not be passed along to a family member with out this in place. Is this true? No one said anything about this to me when I got my stamp. Supposedly I will have to file for another stamp on the same gun with the trust attached.

There is a no-pay stamp if and when you inherit an NFA item. I don't recall what form that is. You can transfer a NFA item that you manufactured to another person on a FORM 3 or 4, so if I made a SBR and sold it to you it could be done if we worked through a NFA dealer. If you have an item in your name and want to put it into your trust then you would have to pay another 200 to transfer it from you to your trust.

It transfers to an heir tax free on a form 5. The big advantage to a trust is others can be in possession of the item without you there. If it's done as an individual I would leave it as such. Any time a transfer occurs without both sides having an SOT it's a tax stamp. If you sell one instate you don't go through a dealer. A form 4 is submitted along with the 200 bucks and when it's done If is mailed to seller who delivers it and the gun to buyer. If it's going out of state I has to go to a dealer in the buyers state which is 1 tax stamp and then from that dealer to the buyer which is a second. Here is a link to the info on how it works with an heir inheriting it

https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/1999/09/090599-openletter-nfa-estate-transfers.html

No notification is necessary, but they do recommend it. You can switch back and forth between long and short barrel without any issues.

Transfer is tax free via form 5 upon your death. The executor of the estate can be in possession of any NFA items until the form 5 clears. Just make one of your kids executor in my opinion.

All of this can be found in the NFA handbook. It is boring, but a necessary read if you are going to own NFA items.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/publications-firearms-national-firearms-act-handbook

Edited by dddoo7