Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 crushing primers sideways into the case

I offloaded my year old 650 and bought a second hand 1050.

So far I am not happy. I always end up pulling apart 30-40 rounds that have primer problems When I load a 1000 round batch.

They are usually stuffed in there side ways But I'll get the occasional one missing or upside down.

I have ensured it is spotless, new primer mag tip, new slide rubber, solid bench.

I dont know what else to check.

I used federal small pistol primers and starline 38 super brass with no crimp.

I removed the swage station and stuck a Lee decapping die in number 2 to ensure everything was being deprimEd.

Any help appreciated. I've done a ton of reading to no avail.

Yeah I think I've read everything which is why I've replaced the parts that I have. Most of the problems people have seem to stem from 9mm cases not getting swaged right.

Swaging isn't my issue, the primer punch looks ok and my shell plate is straight. Primer tube magazine tip is new, the rubber hose has been replaced, the primer slide tray is silky smooth.

I was hoping someone could point out something Ive missed.

Have you seen this one:

First, check the rubber tubing on the post at the back of the primer slide. You want the part of the tubing that "touches" to always be in perfect condition, showing absolutely no wear or "denting."

You can either rotate it a bit, or buy foot of it at an auto parts store - which will last you forever.

Then with that variable removed, this is what made my 1050's priming system 100% reliable: Add or remove the .001" shims from under part# 13108, until - with the machine at rest - drop a single primer down the primer magazine tube, and it should drop into its hole in the primer slide - 10 times in a row.

yep seen that, thanks though. I don't seem to have a problem with primers dropping into the primer slide, maybe 1 in 1 thousand have no primer at all So I have ruled that out.

The sideways crushing happens to maybe 5%. I ran 100 through last night and pulled them out the back after priming and I got 4 crushed primers.

The machine didn't feel unusual before it happened that I could tell.

I'm going to order a new primer punch. Sometimes my primers have marks towards 1 side. I can't visually see that it isn't flat but someone else was the same and it helped.

Edited by dansedgli

I offloaded my year old 650 and bought a second hand 1050.

So far I am not happy. I always end up pulling apart 30-40 rounds that have primer problems When I load a 1000 round batch.

They are usually stuffed in there side ways But I'll get the occasional one missing or upside down.

I have ensured it is spotless, new primer mag tip, new slide rubber, solid bench.

I dont know what else to check.

I used federal small pistol primers and starline 38 super brass with no crimp.

I removed the swage station and stuck a Lee decapping die in number 2 to ensure everything was being deprimEd.

Any help appreciated. I've done a ton of reading to no avail.

I actually stop using Federal primers due to the same reason (sideways, empty primers, etc), they're just to soft, works great on my 550 but when i'm loading mass on my RL1050, I'll smash 2 or 3 per 100. When I switched to CCI's I haven't had one issue so far. I know its not the advice your looking for.

Edited by DocMedic

I would like to use federal small pistol. I just bought a revolver which needs them. I have loaded small rifle primers too but I can’t remember if I had the same issues.

I’ve put an order in for a new shell plate, primer punch, primer punch spring, primer arm/cam springs, updated primer slide and more primer tube tips.

Apparently the primer slide has been upgraded twice in recent years with different primer hole and a brass roller.

I live in Australia so postage kills me if I have to make lots of separate orders to try and troubleshoot things. L

Try replacing the two springs on the primer slide arm and make sure the primer punch spring is not broke. This happens when the primer slide slams into place and the primer is tipped up when the punch comes up.

DougC

Thanks everyone.

I've fitted a new primer slide, shellplate and primer punch.

Just primed 200 cases and had 1 go sideways.

The sideways primer was on a shitty case so I'm hoping it was just an anomoly.

Ill do more testing on the weekend but I am confident.