Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best walking shoe?

21 shooter

I have been looking for a good walking shoe both for exercise and to wear for mostly IDPA and Steel plate matches, both of which keep me on my feet for awhile. I like to help paste/paint targets and keep things running so I don't get to sit down a lot. The Asics Gel Tech Walker Neo 4 looks good but I haven't found any in my area to try on. Anyone tried these? I'm open to recommendations. i don't mind paying a little extra for shoes when the quality is there. Cheap shoes hurt to much. In case you haven't guessed I'm not a spring chicken. :roflol:

http://www.asicsamerica.com/Shop/Footwear/Walking/Mens/GEL-Tech-Walker-Neo%C2%AE-4/p/0010223205.9090

Have the new balance here as well. My suggestion would be to find a dedicated running shop and go there. They will have people who can help you pick out what you need based on your use and how you walk. The different models all fit different types of stride and how the foot hits the ground

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: Salomon make some good shoes for walking also. Zappos online or if you have a REI near you they carry them. A lot of the mature set that I shoot shotguns with use New Balance and were fitted at the New Balance store. Reebok is also popular, with some of the really mature guys. They are in there upper 80's and one is 94. Thanks, Eric

I have a long history of flat foot and related foot fatigue issues. One of the running shoe stores put me in a Brooks Beast running shoe because it has the most support (no I don't run unless being chased by a zombie or SO with a timer). A doc had me try the Power Step Pinnacle insoles, and now every shoe I own that can fit them has them, with the Brooks Beast/Pinnacle being the best bet for a full day at the range. I'll try some real orthotics some day but for now this helps a lot.

I would go to a specialty walking/running retailer in your area and have your gait analyzed. It'll take an extra few minutes but you'll be fit into a pair of shoes that will work. Most of the specialty retailers also offer 30 days money back/exchange for different pair if they don't work out....even after they've been worn!

I have been using my hiking boots for USPSA. New Balance fits my foot shape, and that's what I've been using for court or gym. This thread inspired me to go to a running store and get fitted. I ended up with a pair of Brook Adrenaline - Trail shoes. The fit is terrific and so is the support. It literally feels like you are running barefoot, but with a protective cocoon around your feet.

This store did not carry the everyday versions of shoes, but most of the manufacturers make running style shoes in plain, everyday, normal looking trims. I'm so impressed I'm going to find a store that carries them.

Note: if you go this route you absolutely have to be fitted. Do not order a pair in your normal shoes size online. Example: my normal and dress shoe size is 10E. The Brooks that fit properly, including arch location were 11.5D. Go figure.

I got a pair of Merrell All Out Rush this year and so far they've been awesome. They're very comfortable, light, and breathe well. I especially like the larger toe box.

I don't mind spending on shoes either but I got these on sale for $70 which I don't think is too bad.

I have the new balance 847s that I use and they over good support and actually have a nothing control bar or whatever they call it in the heel. I don't wear them daily until they have been worn for activity and have "broken down" and don't offer the shock absorption that I want for activity. Once retired I get a new pair for activity and use the old pair for daily use with an insole swap and still feel fine

https://www.altrarunning.com/run-better

These guys were recommended to my by my doctor. If you're like me and you're on your feet all day, I highly recommend as well.

Watch out with these sporty brands, I used to wear nothing but Rocky C4Ts for work and Nike running shoes otherwise. Now, im only 21 and have tailor bunions in both my feet.