Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Trigger Size: How Tall?

May seem like a dumb question....

My old Trojan came with the STI fiberglas molded trigger . It always had some up/down play (too much) and has gotten more over it's life. So, I figured installing an "oversized" trigger I could fit in would be the way to go.

What size is the trigger supposed to be? I went to the Kuhnhausen reference manual and it includes the original machine drawings for a 1911 trigger. The vertical height of the trigger shoe is supposed to be 0.930" tolerance (-0.010") which means it is 0.920" - 0.930". I measured the STI trigger and found it was about 0.930 (close).

So I buy an "oversized" trigger from Ed Brown. It arrives and I measure it:

0.922"

?????????????????? How is being near the min spec amount to "oversized"?

So I saw Fusion makes "oversized" 1911 triggers and I asked one of their guys what size and he said it was about 0.922" high which meant it would need fitting.... not in my gun, it wouldn't. It would just wobble up and down.

Does anybody make 1911 triggers that are actually oversized, ie taller than 0.930"?

I "fixed" mine by fabricating an aluminum shim about .012" thick and cementing it to the top of the trigger and then shaving it to fit, but a new trigger would sure be preferred.

BTW: After fitting the old one with shim, the "perfect fit" height on mine was about 0.940". I saw a post where some guy fabricated one for his and his final size was 0.937" not far from mine so I wonder if needing a larger trigger shoe is a common issue?

Edited by bountyhunter

Well, you could try an SVI trigger. Unless someone opened up your Trojan to fit that (a distinct possibility) you will have lots of material to take off. You may also have to kiss the rear pads to get it to fit in the track.

I no longer have any that were not fit, but I had to take an appreciable amount off EGW the top and bottom of triggers to fit them to forged STI 1911 receivers.

Added later: well, it happens that I do have an unfit EGW trigger. It measures .9225" tall. I think my initial supposition was correct. Your Trojan was opened up to accept the SVI trigger and inserts. They are considerably taller than 1911 spec.

Edited by zzt

Interesting. I did buy the Trojan new, so the frame is exactly as made by STI, nobody has ever worked on it. The frame is exactly as originally made. Not sure how an SVI trigger could have gotten into it or why. The trigger looks EXACTLY like the standard STI triggers they still show on their site.

http://stiguns.com/triggers-hammers/

post-271-0-38135800-1428259489_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

Added later: well, it happens that I do have an unfit EGW trigger. It measures .9225" tall.

That's what has me so puzzled. The Kuhnhausen book's fabrication drawing for the standard trigger shows the size to be 9.200 - 9.300", but the world seems to think that a 0.9225" trigger is "oversized for fitting". Something is clearly wrong here.

Edited by bountyhunter

Just so everybody knows I'm not hallucinating, I will attach the fabrication drawing published by Kuhnhausen shop manual. Either somebody can't read dimensions or something must have changed because the world seems to think that 0.922" is an "oversized" dimension for a part that appears to be specified to be from 0.920 - 0.930" in height. Maybe the Kuhnhausen spec is obsolete? But odd that my STI trigger reads about 0.930". The gun was new about 20 years ago, possible that the dimensions have been shrunk on newer stock?

post-271-0-76209100-1428268559_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

Most of the guns out there these days never read the original specs or kuhnhausen. break out the sharpie, and some files and fit it.

Can't fit something that's already too small when it arrives "oversized". I ended up fabricating an aluminum shim out of some .012" al that I had and taking up most of the wobble, just surprised nobody makes triggers that are .930"

Most of the guns out there these days never read the original specs or kuhnhausen. break out the sharpie, and some files and fit it.

Can't fit something that's already too small when it arrives "oversized". I ended up fabricating an aluminum shim out of some .012" al that I had and taking up most of the wobble, just surprised nobody makes triggers that are .930"

good point, I should have read more closely..

The problem is the size of the shoe. The makers I have contacted seem to think tat 0.922" is oversized. I know after shimming mine it took a size of about 0.940 to get a good fit which may mean my frame is a shade out of spec (?) My confusion stems from the Kuhnhausen spec showing the stock trigger should be 0.920 - 0.930" so I assumed an oversized trigger shoe might be closer to 0.940". It's possible the Kuhnhausen spec is overly generous.

Not sure what the spec is on Videki.

Just seems odd that nobody makes fat ones that could fit up to taller frames.

Edited by bountyhunter

You could always order one from Brownell's. If it's not tall enough, send it back.

I did, that's where I ordered the Ed Brown trigger specifically because it claimed to be an oversized piece for fitting.

I then found out it was too small and that Brownell's doesn't cover return shipping....

Hence my quest for knowledge as to where to actually get an oversized one so I won't get another shortie again.

Geez! Call SVI and ask them how tall their trigger shoe is. The shoe, not the insert height. It is taller than the standard 1911/2011 triggers. For example, PT says its frames are cut for SVI triggers and although STI triggers will work, there will be a lot of play.

• 2 months later...

SVI triggers are wider not taller and only the double stack version is like that.

I fit 2 triggers to 2 trojans last Tuesday.

The trigger for my new blue trojan (2014 build) was a drop in with no filing.

The older H/C trojan built in 06 or 07 needed heaps of filing top and bottom to fit.

I didn't measure the 2 triggers first so not sure if the variance is in the frame or trigger.