Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Microwave convenience

I washed my soccer jersey in my bathroom sink this morning because it smelled bad even to me and I know that the girls on my co-ed team will give me sh!t for it.

So I go to work and leave it in my car to dry. Well, since it's raining outside ... the shirt is not drying.

I've got to do something ... 2 minutes and 30 seconds later I have a mostly dry jersey fresh and steaming hot from the microwave. At first I thought the numbers would melt, but they didn't.

I also recommend turning the jersey over half way through the cycle. Times may vary based on wetness of jersey and microwave power. I used the "cook" setting.

Last hunting season at our camp one of my hunting "buddies" pulled his soaking wet Sorel boot liners and tried to microwave them to dry. :rolleyes:

Wool (contains lanolin) + microwave = fire + horrendo stench

I still can't get myself to use that oven without remembering the horrid acrid smell.

Kinda of like burning a rat that rolled in dog poop. :lol:

I gotta think it was worse than putting the dog in there trick.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Kinda reminds me of when we had a microwave on our dorm floor, for an extremely short period of time, in college. It's amazing that quasi-adults could be so entertained by burning CDs and seeing what would and wouldn't blow the microwave up. Your tax dollars at work!!!

Anyone who shot last years TN Section Championship recalls the underwater stages on Saturday. I had not packed my Goretex shoes, so obviously my shoes were wet. After leaving them to dry overnight, they didn't. I tried the hair dryer in the shoes heating the dryer to stopage every few minutes.

Finally, I thought about the microwave, and the first shoe stayed in for 2 minutes and came out dry and warm, no problem. I put the second shoe in, and since 2 minutes of close observation went well the first time, I set it for 2 and went on to something else. Then from the corner of my eye, I noticed the steam/smoke leaking out around the microwave door. The shoe began to melt and char a little. After letting it cool, I put it on and I still shoot in those shoes.

The next day while waiting for the scores, some of my squadmates started a rhyming contest, just silly stuff that had happened recently put into rhyme. I went third, and here is what I had "We shot with Jack, we shot with Dave, I burned my shoes in the microwave."

Now, getting caught by my wife using the smooth top range in the kitchen to bend kydex is another story altogether.

I love finding alternative uses for everyday devices and have developed a reputation for doing so. I frequently used the microwave in the breakroom at the office for unusual applications or party tricks like making a light bulb light up but my favorite was using the coffe pot as an iron. Office Tip - If you have a dollar bill that is too wrinkled to go into the coke machine but you really really NEED that mountain dew, just wet the bill a little bit and then lay it on the hot plate under the coffee pot. Use the coffee pot like an iron to smooth out the wrinkles. Bills come out freshly pressed and toasty warm.

Office Tip - If you have a dollar bill that is too wrinkled to go into the coke machine but you really really NEED that mountain dew

second office tip: If your trying to get a mtn dew out of a coke machine. you might want to look at the pepsi machine for that.

Sry John, couldnt help it.

Office Tip - If you have a dollar bill that is too wrinkled to go into the coke machine but you really really NEED that mountain dew, just wet the bill a little bit and then lay it on the hot plate under the coffee pot.  Use the coffee pot like an iron to smooth out the wrinkles.  Bills come out freshly pressed and toasty warm.

Isn't that money laundering?!?!?! :ph34r:

Whoops, guess I did show my LA (lower Alabama) roots with that one. Yes, all canned beverage dispensing machines in this area are "coke" machines, even if they dispense beer like one I used to frequent in college. Of course now that I think about it, I'm really not sure what sort of machine it was. I was working for a very large business at the time and I guess the size of the account gave them some serious pull. They told the vendor that all drink machines had to have the big display panel covered in a wallpaper/fabric to match the "decor" of the rest of the break room and, since space was limited, they had to dispense both coke and pepsi products from the same machine.