Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore iOS vs. Android differences

zhunter

We had been using iPads as our host device until the last two matches when we switched to an ASUS Android host.

The iOS results on Practiscore have a "View Individual Results" tab on the bottom left of the posted results, but the results posted via the ASUS Android device does not generate this tab.

Is this an Android issue or is this a new Practiscore issue?

Personally I think it is very important to access the individual results to breakdown performances.

The iOS and Android version create different HTML result pages. So its not a bug, just the iOS version has a nicer results format as you've seen.

Your best bet is to sync the match from your Android device to Practiscore running on any iOS device and then post the results from there.

Edited by jdphotoguy

The iOS and Android version create different HTML result pages. So its not a bug...

Actually, that should be regarded as a bug. The two versions for different operating systems should nonetheless have the same features that operate in the same way across both. iOS can also create the upload files to uspsa.org for match results and activity credit reporting. The android version cannot.

The iOS and Android version create different HTML result pages. So its not a bug...

Actually, that should be regarded as a bug. The two versions for different operating systems should nonetheless have the same features that operate in the same way across both. iOS can also create the upload files to uspsa.org for match results and activity credit reporting. The android version cannot.

Actually I don't consider it a bug because both apps record scores and generate results. The iOS version just has a few enhancements, like the ability to see results per individual and generate the USPSA upload file.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Talked to KN at 3GN Regional late February, said he was bringing an additional person on board to resolve functional differences. USPSA reporting for Android was 1st priority.

Cool.

Actually I don't consider it a bug because both apps record scores and generate results. The iOS version just has a few enhancements, like the ability to see results per individual and generate the USPSA upload file.

Well, to me any individual product called "x" should have all of the same features regardless of the platform on which it runs. The iOS version's features are not enhancements, they're basic features which are needed in order to completely replace ezwinscore. Especially with the android version lacking the creation of the upload files for uspsa, you can't completely replace ezws with an all-android scoring environment. Not yet. So, it's a bug that the android version is lagging behind, and good that it's on target to have the issue resolved.

Edited by wgnoyes

My take is that if I have a Data Collection Device that holds up well in the field and is a cost effective item and then I have a 'Master Device' that is 5x more money and not a rugged I am ok with that. Best thing I did was to get an IPad. I grab the registration off our website, email it to my IPad, add the walk-ons at registration, delete the no-shows and sync to the Nooks. After the match, I sync back to the IPAD and process the results.

I am not a techie guy. I look upon a computer in any form the same as I look upon a hammer or a rifle. They are tools to get a job done. If they work and ad do so reliably I am happy. If the newest zippity Do-Day gadget works faster, but has a failure rate that is too high, Sorry, I'll stick with my older tools that I know work.

Understand I am not against innovation. I really like cartridge guns as opposed to matchlocks! And I am game to work towards improving a tool. I just don't think that having to use a collection device and a master device is a bad thing. In fact. i'd almost go so far as to say it might be a better thing. Make the data collection device rugged, make the interface easy to use with as few as possible potential pitfalls and let the Stats guy have the full tool-kit.

My take is that if I have a Data Collection Device that holds up well in the field and is a cost effective item and then I have a 'Master Device' that is 5x more money and not a rugged I am ok with that. Best thing I did was to get an IPad. I grab the registration off our website, email it to my IPad, add the walk-ons at registration, delete the no-shows and sync to the Nooks. After the match, I sync back to the IPAD and process the results....

...I just don't think that having to use a collection device and a master device is a bad thing. In fact. i'd almost go so far as to say it might be a better thing. Make the data collection device rugged, make the interface easy to use with as few as possible potential pitfalls and let the Stats guy have the full tool-kit.

I agree; I won't use the nooks for ANYTHING other than data collection. I dare say I think you may have learned your way of doing things for the most part from some of us. :rolleyes:

BUT, there are many who either can't or won't afford an iPad and want to run all-android. For those folks, they're still stuck having to go back to ezws for uploading results and activity data to uspsa. I've always understood from you all that retiring ezws is the number one priority for civilization as a whole. You can't do that, however, so long as android continues to not offer the same features as iOS. (And vice versa: there are a few things android has built into it that iOS still lacks.)

My take is that if I have a Data Collection Device that holds up well in the field and is a cost effective item and then I have a 'Master Device' that is 5x more money and not a rugged I am ok with that. Best thing I did was to get an IPad. I grab the registration off our website, email it to my IPad, add the walk-ons at registration, delete the no-shows and sync to the Nooks. After the match, I sync back to the IPAD and process the results....

...I just don't think that having to use a collection device and a master device is a bad thing. In fact. i'd almost go so far as to say it might be a better thing. Make the data collection device rugged, make the interface easy to use with as few as possible potential pitfalls and let the Stats guy have the full tool-kit.

I agree; I won't use the nooks for ANYTHING other than data collection. I dare say I think you may have learned your way of doing things for the most part from some of us. :rolleyes:

BUT, there are many who either can't or won't afford an iPad and want to run all-android. For those folks, they're still stuck having to go back to ezws for uploading results and activity data to uspsa. I've always understood from you all that retiring ezws is the number one priority for civilization as a whole. You can't do that, however, so long as android continues to not offer the same features as iOS. (And vice versa: there are a few things android has built into it that iOS still lacks.)

I would say the bolded above is a bit of an over statement, it is similar to saying that EZwinscore was bad because you had to use a Microsoft PC to run it. Yes if you want to upload USPSA classifier and match results in the simplest way you need to buy one iOS device (a old Iphone works fine bet you can get one for free by asking around) if you for some reason cant or don't want to obtain a iOS device then you are in a similare stuation to not wanting to get a PC device to run EZwinscore on.

Ken may have a different view on that, but the way I look at it, this issue been in hands of USPSA for more than a year...

In my understanding, there are plans to replace the current ezws upload and support direct import from Practiscore. So, supporting soon to be legacy stuff in Practiscore is an extra work, meaning that time coulf be used to implement other stuff (and there is a a long list to cover, not only for uspsa).

In a mean time members and match directors have several working options for uploading results and classifiers.

They also can bug USPSA to get it sorted out, especially given that USPSA is not doing anything to support Practiscore, its developers, or anything to make USPSA member's life easier when posting results. I've mentioned that to both DNROI and President last year and would suggest everyone to do that too. Haven't got a chance to speak to the new club support director to get his position on this issue.

... I've always understood from you all that retiring ezws is the number one priority for civilization as a whole. You can't do that, however, so long as android continues to not offer the same features as iOS. (And vice versa: there are a few things android has built into it that iOS still lacks.)

I would say the bolded above is a bit of an over statement, it is similar to saying that EZwinscore was bad because you had to use a Microsoft PC to run it. Yes if you want to upload USPSA classifier and match results in the simplest way you need to buy one iOS device (a old Iphone works fine bet you can get one for free by asking around) if you for some reason cant or don't want to obtain a iOS device then you are in a similare stuation to not wanting to get a PC device to run EZwinscore on.

Well, but we all started out on the practiscore journey for USPSA matches already having PC's running ezws. Android still can't generate the upload files for uspsa.org match results or activity credit reporting, so you still at some point in the match scoring process have to port it all back over to ezws to create those two files, which I thought was what we were trying to get away from.

And I can't get into the issue of Niftybytes waiting on USPSA to start/complete long-running project tasks, as I would have to delve into USPSA politics to offer a possible reason for the long delays, and they don't really want that here on BE.

Edited by wgnoyes

I'll admit that I was not going to buy an Ipad, I have enough trouble dealing with MS, but I can honestly say that the Ipad is the way to go for setting up the match and dealing with the results. Now if only we could get a new 'Nook' like device that we can see in the sun and has a battery life measured in days not hours..

• 1 month later...

And I was banging my head against the wall failing to find that feature in Android version, now I know why!

Can iOS PractiScore generate both match results file *and* activity report?

I've had on occasion fix the classifier stage as the proper classifier in EzWS after importing data from PractiScore, does the iOS version properly identify classifiers as such?

What are the iOS requirements for the PractiScore? I have a very old iPod I haven't used in ages, it's probably on iOS 6.x (if not 5.x) -- would PractiScore work there?

I've had on occasion fix the classifier stage as the proper classifier in EzWS after importing data from PractiScore, does the iOS version properly identify classifiers as such?

What are the iOS requirements for the PractiScore? I have a very old iPod I haven't used in ages, it's probably on iOS 6.x (if not 5.x) -- would PractiScore work there?

What specifically have you had to fix in EzWS regarding classifier stages? Only Android has those preloaded and if there's a problem with one it should be reported.

Requirements for iOS are (from iTunes page)

Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.

If you have access to an old iPad that would probably work best.

And I was banging my head against the wall failing to find that feature in Android version, now I know why!

Can iOS PractiScore generate both match results file *and* activity report?

yes, the iOS version can upload produce both results for practiscore.com (neither version does it for uspsa.org yet) and the activity reporting file.

Not sure about the classifier question. I define the stages in ezws, register folks there and then export to the master iPad. Exporting back from iOS to a new empty match file seems to get the classifiers recognized as such in ezws. I don't use the android version for a master, so I don't know if it would be different for that. (I do treat both as two completely different animals with different features that happen to have the same product name, which is an admittedly odd situation.)

I'm pretty sure it should work even on an original iPad with those versions. I think others are already doing that, as I recall.

Edited by wgnoyes

What specifically have you had to fix in EzWS regarding classifier stages? Only Android has those preloaded and if there's a problem with one it should be reported.

Requirements for iOS are (from iTunes page)

Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.

When I created the classifier stage in PS-Android last time and imported stages into EzWS the classifier stage was not properly imported as classifier, I've had to set it up as a classifier in EzWS.

yes, the iOS version can upload produce both results for practiscore.com (neither version does it for uspsa.org yet) and the activity reporting file.

Not sure about the classifier question. I define the stages in ezws, register folks there and then export to the master iPad. Exporting back from iOS to a new empty match file seems to get the classifiers recognized as such in ezws. I don't use the android version for a master, so I don't know if it would be different for that. (I do treat both as two completely different animals with different features that happen to have the same product name, which is an admittedly odd situation.)

I'm pretty sure it should work even on an original iPad with those versions. I think others are already doing that, as I recall.

Sorry, I'm pretty new to match management (to a point where I have to read the rulebook again before each match), what do you mean by "iOS version can upload produce both results for practiscore.com"?

In EzWS I can generate the "webfile.txt" which is essentially the match results and the <club code>-<date>.txt which is the club activity report (the one which requires payment to HQ). Can iOS version generate and store on internal memory both files?

I'll need to wait for my *iPod* (sadly no iPad) to charge before I can try iOS PractiScore on it.

Stan,

Get an IPAD. Buy an used one.

You can register your shooters however you see fit, we do it online, one of our people has a steel scoring program that had an online component that allows for squadding. we import that into PS. We build the stages in PS, we get the updated classifications in PS and we generate the Activity Report and Classifier Reports in PS all on the IPad. We use Nook NSTs to collect the data. We don't use a paper back up, although I am not opposed. Our shooters just don't fill them out and turn them in so we stopped printing them.

EzWinScore may be the way to go for a major match especially if you are using the USPSA system for registration and squadding. But for a local match....
I have not opened EzWin in well over a year. We use PS for steel, for USPSA and for Multi-Gun. After 15 plus years of scoring matches THi is the way to go! Will there someday be a better way? Maybe, but until then PS all the way.

Thank you

Get an IPAD. Buy an used one.

I actually managed just well with the old iPod. I was about to post it for sale on CL for like $30 (don't like things collecting dust) but I'll put it to use now.

We use practiscore.com for sign-ups, it's much easier to sync all registrations from the web-site via WiFi than to deal with import/files, etc.

But anyways, I just checked in my iPod and I see options to generate both webfile.txt and activity report, I think I'll be using that from now on.

Between the Android and IOS versions (it's a good idea to have both) there is no need to use EZWinscore at all any more.

We imported our database of shooters to our master tablet (we use a old iPad for that) we register shooters at the range on the master tablet (this is at least as easy as it was in EZWinscore) we normally define our match and stages on whatever devise is handy (either a tablet or phone) and sync it to the master for registration. We use Nooks for stage devices (cheep, easy to read in the sun, and no issue with battery life) I prefer the scoring interface on the Android version of PS to the IOS version. At the end of the match we use the master to upload the results to PS and email the files needed to upload to USPSA to ourselves so we can upload those.

I watched a local club doing the dance between Ezwin and PS and it sure looked like a lot more trouble.