Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Wear on Glock 34 slide

Clay1

Question for the more experienced guys. I bought my 1st G34 in Mid Dec of 04. I have live fired 2000 rounds, but have dry fired twice that much at least. The wear on my two month old gun is becoming substaintial.

Is that a just live with it kind of thing or should I be doing something like spraying the inside of the Kydex with armor all to slick it up?

Well the Glock was never meant to be a safe queen, but I have long guns that I bought 25 years ago that look better than this guy does after 2 months. Then again some of those long gun probably have never seen that much actual use either.

Is there a certain type of holster that won't wear as quickly or a brand that will slow this down. This gun is going to be "in the White" in another couple of months like this. Maybe I should send her off for a hard chrome job or something once it gets to that point.

I know XD are suppose to have very soft finishes, but I always thought that Glocks were tanks.

Another vote for “live with it“.

A heavily holster polished pistol usually means a pretty good level of proficiency, be proud of that and keep practicing. You will know you are good when it becomes a natural two-tone :P

--

Regards,

You don't have to worry about it rusting and it will not degrade the performance of the gun in any way. Actually, unless your worried about how it looks, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I wouldn't go hard chrome as it seems like it would cause a lot of glare on bright sunny days and I don't think it would not be as durable and maintenance free as the tennifer finish glock uses, although I can't speak first hand on hard chrome's durablity on a glock as I've always been happy with the stock finish....however, I can say that on a sunny day, even the stock glock slide can have distracting glare during recoil when the sun is at just the right (wrong) spot.

The black finish is the just the cover up over the Tennifer, the Tennifer is the silver showing through - I'm pretty sure you will NOT wear through the Tennifer by holster wear. Live with it, it won't be "in the white", just a polished silver color.

If it bugs ya, periodically spray paint the slide flat black. :P

Thanks for the feedback guys. Like I said I am use to owning firearms and keeping them look nice. One of those dear old Daddy stories follows. My father hunted with a pre-64 70 action until he couldn't hunt anymore. That gun had gone through the toughest briars etc in some deer drives over the years and it looked like it just came off of a dealers shelf. The cuts in your legs and arms will heal but the stock won't - take care of your gun and it will take care of you - lessons from Daddy. I'm 45 and those lessons have always done well by me.

This Glock business is just new to me. I'm having a grand time though. Robomanusa, thanks for the "refinishing the slide" info. I'll leave her like she is for now and maybe even approach the two tone finish one of these days.

I have to agree with sfiney on this; there is no wear on the gun's finish. The black coating over the Tenifer is simply wearing off which is fine since it serves no purpose anyway. For the finish wear/exposed tenifer that I can see on my glocks when looking at the sights (top corners of the slide) I use a sharpie marker to return them to non-glare. Regards, C.

Flex, I'm definately a part timer at this gun game and many of you guys shoot a whole lot more than I do. I'm just trying to settle into shooting live fire twice a week 100-150 rounds each and once or twice a week dry fire with one tourney a weekend. Definately part time.

If you can, will you post a picture of your Glock? A side shot. Mine seems to wear the worst on the left hand side of the gun. I would post a picture but don't know how on this site. I would like to see what someone's gun looks like after 10s of thousands of rounds. If that's hard to do - don't sweat it.

Rick

I had an article on this topic that ran in Dillon's Blue Press a few months ago, "It's Called WEARING a Gun for a Reason". Strangely enough, I had two different guys at Saturday's IDPA match mention that article to me, how funny they found it, and how much they enjoyed it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Like I said I am use to owning firearms and keeping them look nice. One of those dear old Daddy stories follows. My father hunted with a pre-64 70 action until he couldn't hunt anymore. That gun had gone through the toughest briars etc in some deer drives over the years and it looked like it just came off of a dealers shelf. The cuts in your legs and arms will heal but the stock won't - take care of your gun and it will take care of you - lessons from Daddy. I'm 45 and those lessons have always done well by me.

This Glock business is just new to me. I'm having a grand time though. Robomanusa, thanks for the "refinishing the slide" info. I'll leave her like she is for now and maybe even approach the two tone finish one of these days.

I like the "slightly worn look".

Clay, I think what you're struggling with is the advice from dad stuff. I struggled with this, too. After thinking through it, I came to the philosophy that guns are tools, not furniture, so I started thinking about how I treat my tools. All my favorite tools have a worn look - it means I've used them to do something cool. I take care of them and I keep them clean and tuned, but I don't baby them. I also don't buy tools that are fragile because they are pretty. For me all this applies to guns.

This line of thinking leads to buying guns of a particular construction - polymer, hard (if slightly ugly) metal finishes, lots of stainless.

I went pheasant hunting in Kansas a couple of years ago. I took a ruger all weather over and under. The other guys took a Merkel and a beautiful Browning O/U. I had a lot more fun because I humped right through the mud and brush, didn't worry about putting the gun back in the the hard case when we jumped in the truck to move a couple of fields over, etc, etc.

Our fathers (I'm 39) and certianly their fathers really didn't have the materials and finishes that we do, so they had to treat guns differently. They also didn't do a 5 sec El-Prez.

Live with it. It's not doing any harm to the gun. Plus it'll intimidate other guys you're shooting with. 

Right on 300#

Tenifer is not quite a coating.

Here's an explanation from http://www.glockfaq.com/gunsmithing.htm

Surface hardening of steel and iron (to improve wear resistance) can be done by either allowing the surface of metals to react with either Nitrogen (nitriding), Carbon (carburizing), Boron (boriding), etc. TENIFER is termed for a chemical bath nitriding process whereby nitrogen is chemically released and introduced into the surface at a suitable high temperature to allow the chemical process to take place.

Using the liquid bath techniques, the temperature requires to activate the reaction is about 550 to 580 Celsius. The bath is performed in a molten, nitrogen-bearing liquid containing either cyanides or cyanates. However, cyanide-free liquid has also been used to release Nitrogen and then allow it to react chemically with steel (iron)at the surface (modern techniques).

Interestingly, when using the cyanide-free liquid, Tenifer is actually the salt bath nitro-carburing technique because it starts (first reaction) with Carbon-Nitride (CN) and allows it to react with Oxygen (0)to produce Nitro-carbon-dioxide byproduct plus Nitrogen. The simultaneous second reaction takes place when nitrogen (N) is in contact with Iron (Fe) to form FeN (iron-nidride).

The tenifer coating "composition" of Glock's steel slide is essentially that of FeN.

It is interesting to note that FeN coating is used mainly to increase the surface wear resistance to against galling and wear. The corrosion resistance is also better for iron and conventional steel that are NOT stainless steel. Most stainless steels need not to be nitrided. The reason is stainless steel has chromium to fight against corrosion and rust (this is why we call these material stainless). However, nitriding a stainless steel will almost always lower the corrosion resistance of the stainless steel. This is because the nitrogen will also react with some of the chrominum (Cr) at the surface of stainless steel to form Chrominum-nitride (CrN).

Obviously, gas-nitriding is a simpler process (but not necessary cheaper) to form a tough wear resistance coating. In this case, pure Nitrogen gas is chemically reacted with the metal such as iron (Fe) by holding the metal in the Nitrogen gas environment at high temperature allowing the chemical reaction to take place.

The true FeN (tenifer) coating has a dull-gray color surface. Definitely, never black. In some applications, FeN coatings can also be polished to give a bright metal finish appearance.

I never realized the Glock slides were nitrided under the surface finish. That would ‘splain my 18 year old G17 slide having never rusted anywhere the surface finish is worn no matter how drenched it has gotten shooting in “weather“ (something like 80% of the slide exterior finish is gone from lotsa‘ handling).

In fact the only rust I ever remember seeing on it was on the old Wichita rear sight it used to have and the custom “stainless“ big front blade it still has.

--

Regards,

Come on Duane, where's the link? All kidding aside I would like to read that one too.

I'm seriously flattered by the interest, but to my knowledge this article isn't on the Internet anywhere. And frankly I'd be a bit irate if it was, since I own the copyright. A better tack would be to find a friend who gets the Blue Press and ask to borrow that issue.

I found the current issue of the Blue Press on-line, but was unable to locate any past articles. I reload on a Dillion and use to get the Blue Press, but I have bought anything from them lately and I have been dropped from their mailing list.

Thanks for mentioning that you are unaware of it being posted anywhere on the net Duane. Saves me a lot of searching.