Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 not going into battery?

WJM

I have been shooting my Tanfoglio Stock 2, and have approximately 3-4k rounds through it. And I love it!

Lately (most predominately last night) I have had issues with the gun not going into battery specifically on reloads involving the slide lock, and the load and make ready command. The gun will get a round about halfway into the chamber, then it will stop. If forced it will continue to do seat the bullet in the chamber, but if not touched it will almost act like it is jammed.

I have tried this in dry fire and live fire and it is fairly consistent. I thought maybe it was a lighter recoil spring (I was running a 9lb) but when I tried this in dry fire last night I experienced the same problem off and on again. I then went to clean off my feed ramp (the gun gets dirty as shit very often maybe from running titegroup I have heard), and it seemed to run smoothly for a bit especially if I put a little kroil on the feed ramp.

I am using BBI 165 gr bullets, which I suspect may be the ultimate culprit in this. My theory is that the BBI's are not as smooth as a plated bullet such as Berrys or Montana Golds. If the bullet is the issue I have no problem moving to a different bullet as I don't think the price different is that much of a difference especially at the cost of reliability.

My question is is there something wrong with the gun? Can I put the old 9lb recoil spring back in the gun without as much worry about the gun not going fully into battery? Could it be the friction of the bullet on the feed ramp causing this?(If kneelingatlas is reading this I saw you tumble your bullets did this help?). Could it be a mag issue where the mag is just not pushing the bullet up far enough and it is getting caught? Could it be because I am not using a pass through die and it may be causing some Glock bulge?(some of my brass is range brass).

Just trying to help out some other production shooters that may be having this same problem.

Thanks,

WJM

Is this a 40? If so are you tapering your rounds after they are seated? Sometimes excessive belling of the case mouth can create a ridge. What is your OAL?

Is this a 9? If so its done. Ship the gun to me for disposal.

Edited by praetorian97

I am running a Limited 40 and also ran into this problem. Much worse that what you are encountering. In the end, a good crimp and shorter bullet worked for me. Running 180gr PD FN at 1.30 OAL.

It is a Stock 2 .40 I don't believe I am belling the case mouth too much. When I have loaded for my 9mm it hasn't had any issues.

OAL is 1.135.

I will try crimping more just worried that the tighter crimp may interfere with accuracy with a lead bullet.

It almost just seems like there isn't enough force to bring the gun back into battery. Sometimes it was doing this after a shell was ejected it just wouldn't go back into battery for me or for another shooter.

Thanks,

WJM

The mag springs were new with the pistol so they shouldn't be weak by any means. Other than my excess dry fire I really haven't put that many rounds through the gun or so I thought.

Thanks,

WJM

PS Praetorian are you shooting the Idaho Sectional USPSA match? If so will you be shooting production?

I have the exact same problem sometimes. Would love to see if we can get his fixed

Stock 2

9mm

I'm running 10 pound recoil

147 extreme rn plated bullets

1.13 oal

Every bullet has case gauged and I use the same bullets in my accushadow with no problem

Aa7 powder

It normally does not happen when the gun is clean but after 200 rounds and after

I am running a Limited 40 and also ran into this problem. Much worse that what you are encountering. In the end, a good crimp and shorter bullet worked for me. Running 180gr PD FN at 1.30 OAL.

+1

I have had the same issue when I don't have enough crimp in .40. Don't need a lot, just enough to remove any bell and take the edge off of the case mouth.

IMG_6156_zpsxvsusbmi.jpg

This is about as high of quality as my iPhone camera will take.

This is what my BBI's look like as of right now. I will try more of a crimp if this is too little of one.

Thanks for all the incoming advice I appreciate it!

WJM

I have the exact same problem sometimes. Would love to see if we can get his fixed

Stock 2

9mm

1.13 oal

Every bullet has case gauged and I use the same bullets in my accushadow with no problem

Aa7 powder

It normally does not happen when the gun is clean but after 200 rounds and after

How many rounds through the gun? My first guess would be that you need to drop to an 8lb spring.

The mag springs were new with the pistol so they shouldn't be weak by any means. Other than my excess dry fire I really haven't put that many rounds through the gun or so I thought.

Thanks,

WJM

PS Praetorian are you shooting the Idaho Sectional USPSA match? If so will you be shooting production?

I had a similar issue. Taking my bell off and shortening the rounds helped. Too long and they bind up in the magazine.

Unfortunately I wont be making this years State Match. I'm out of town for work that weekend. I'm hoping to hit the Utah State Match up in August though.

I'm shooting Limited with my Limited 40 currently. Once I am done working on the Stock III setup I will be switching to Prod.

IMG_6156_zpsxvsusbmi.jpg

This is what my BBI's look like as of right now. I will try more of a crimp if this is too little of one.

WJM

With the shape of the .40 bullet, I would suspect that a soft bullet like those may have more drag, than a pointy bullet like in 9mm. The .40 is a little more finicky when loading from slide lock.

IMHO you don't save any money and get and inferior bullet with moly or black bullets. Also Berry's bullets are garbage, I wouldn't run them ever again. They are the softest plated bullet by far and are probably why plated bullets get a bad rap. Rainier are a little harder and are excellent, then Xtremes are even harder (and my personal preference). If you buy bulk from Xtreme you can get the cost down. .40 RNFP are like $87/k delivered when you buy in bulk.

I wouldn't go any heavier of a spring than a 9lb on a .40 minor gun, or you start to lose that nice "flat shooting" feel of the Tanfoglios.

Oh and like others have said, on a straight case round like the .40, having enough crimp is very critical to good feeding.

Edited by Nealio

Stock 2

9mm

1.13 oal

Aa7 powder

How many rounds through the gun? My first guess would be that you need to drop to an 8lb spring.

No idea on the round count I bought the gun used

I will try a lighter spring also

Ok! So what I have gathered so far is put my 9lb recoil spring back in the gun. And don't touch the 11lb again.

I know my feed ramp is polished, maybe I should just shoot plated bullets from extreme. I have heard adverse things about extreme thats why I have stayed away from them but if they come recommended from you I will try them out.

Any experience with Montana Gold RNHP? They seem to be a good bullet from what I have read.

Also basically slide lock reload is just screwed on .40 or is there a way to fix it? Maybe just clean the feed ramp before a stage that has an unloaded start or oil it?

Thanks,

WJM

My buddy's Stock II fed reliably from slide lock running an 8lb spring, either Xtreme or Rainier 180gr RNFP bullets, and Solo 1000 powder. He did the standard 1500 round'ish cleaning on his. If you run a powder that leaves a gummy residue (like Silhouette, Bullseye) then that could contribute to bad feeding.

Also Grand Master CHA-LEE ran an 8lb spring on his .40 Limited gun for years and years and it fed just fine.

What bad things have you heard about Xtreme? They are top notch bullets.

Dont forget Cha use to have the death grip on his and he also had to replace the rear sights too :surprise:

yes, but in the context of feeding I like to use that example as people fear running light springs.

I also ran my 9mm Limted with a 6lb for over 5K rounds and it fed fine (ie 99.9%)

I was using the 6lb spring (because that is what Henning's site said to use) and I was getting occasional failure to go into battery, but if I lightly bumped it then it would go into battery.

MFCEO gave me some grief and said to get the 10lb spring. Once I did that it was good to go. That was about 4000rds ago and it never happened again.

Edited by aceinyerface

I have a really good friend who ran extremes and had some pretty massive issues with them. Although I do have a lot of friends that run .40's that haven't had any issues so I guess the good outweighs the bad.

I will try a larger weight recoil spring tonight and see if that works. If it doesn't I will also try a different bullet as in jacketed and see if that helps solve the problem.

Maybe it would be easiest to just clean the feed ramp after 200-400 rounds? That just seems like a total pain in the ass to me. When I practice I often will go through ~600 rounds so I may have to clean it twice in one session? (Titegroup does often get really gunky especially in the barrel).

If the recoil spring change doesn't work I will try the jacketed bullets because I would like to stick with what bullets I have right now. They are running a little low on the power factor side so I will bring it up to see if that will help the slide move faster (it almost feels sluggish I feel like I can pull the trigger faster than what it can do right now.)

Thanks,

WJM

I wouldn't discredit trying Xtremes. They are great bullets for the price. Your friend may have been having other things that attributed to his issues.

I've personally put roughly 20K down range in 45, 40, and 9mm. If it wasn't for a local company starting up called Leather Head Bullets I would still be shooting Xtremes.

My dad is going to the shooting range with some different loads that are a little higher in power factor along with the higher weight recoil spring.

If that solves the issue I will post about it, if not I will have him take some pictures of the ammo and the issue and see if we can diagnose this.

Its probably not a huge deal I just don't like having issues when i do a slide lock reload. I know its not advised to do a slide lock reload but its even messing with my load and make ready.

Thanks,

WJM

IMG_6156_zpsxvsusbmi.jpg

WJM

With the shape of the .40 bullet, I would suspect that a soft bullet like those may have more drag, than a pointy bullet like in 9mm. The .40 is a little more finicky when loading from slide lock.

IMHO you don't save any money and get and inferior bullet with moly or black bullets. Also Berry's bullets are garbage, I wouldn't run them ever again. They are the softest plated bullet by far and are probably why plated bullets get a bad rap. Rainier are a little harder and are excellent, then Xtremes are even harder (and my personal preference). If you buy bulk from Xtreme you can get the cost down. .40 RNFP are like $87/k delivered when you buy in bulk.

I wouldn't go any heavier of a spring than a 9lb on a .40 minor gun, or you start to lose that nice "flat shooting" feel of the Tanfoglios.

Oh and like others have said, on a straight case round like the .40, having enough crimp is very critical to good feeding.

Sorry to drift, what exactly constitutes as "bulk"? How many?