Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vibrating Case Cleaners

SAW45

A friend of mine left his big Dillon cleaner running (he forgot) when he went on vacation.  Sometime in the two weeks he was gone the vibrator walked off the bench, hit the floor and thrashed around until it was completely busted.  He swept the parts up and shipped it off to Dillon and got a new one.

Everything reloading I buy is in blue, and has been for 15 years now.

• 2 months later...

sigh...after 18 months or so my little Midway burned out due to incessant use...I had a bunch of brass and just kept filling and emptying, filling and emptying, only to return home to a dead tumbler.

Guess I'll go with Dillon...anyone have a small used Dillon they want to pass along??

I have the Lyman and have left it on overnight a couple times.  Sure does make that brass shiny!  Hard on the media though. ;)

Dunno how many thousand rounds it has polished.  No complaints.

(Edited by kimel at 6:44 pm on Feb. 2, 2003)

The large Dillon has served me well for years now, after the Lyman shook itself apart.

I bought a lamp-type timer that turns itself off after the specified period, and plug the vibrating cleaner into it. I can set it for 2 or 3 hours, and it will turn off at the appropriate time.

The large Dillon will handle a *lot* of 9x21 or .38 Super cases, but for most efficient cleaning, throw the cases in the tumbler ASAP after returning from the range, before the crud has a chance to harden.

I have the smaller Dillon and after two years it recently has started to bog down.  I need to manually rotate the motor shaft to get it started.  It's like crank starting an old model T.  I think this possibly could be a dangerous thing.  I have emailed Dillon about it last week but have heard nothing back yet.

(Edited by phara at 11:16 pm on Feb. 2, 2003)

I don't know why, but shiny brass makes me happy.

SA

LOL!  It's why I have a dead tumbler!!

So much of our game is attitude and perception that it's these little things that can get us.  We don't trip over mountains, we trip over molehills!

Quote: from Steve Anderson on 6:26 am on Feb. 3, 2003

I have the smal Dillon, burned it up after about 6 months of heavy use.

Steve,

Im very curious about the "burned it up" part of your post.  Did it really go up in smoke?  If so I wonder if its really a good thing to let the case cleaner do its job with no one to monitor it.

Paul

I bought the Midway combo for $75 that included the vibrating cleaner and the separator, along with 2 lb of media, and some case polish.  They are now sold under the "Frankford Arsenal" brand, and the site mentions something about a part now being made of steel that once was plastic...probably relates to the fire hazard recall mentioned before.  Anyway, the tumbler seems sturdy and well made, and the brass comes out nice and shiny.

So far, so good.  I bought a heavy duty timer from Sears (it needs a grounding plug!!!), and I set it to start some time before I leave for work, and to stop some time before I get home.  That way it can only disturb the neighbors, whom I don't care about.

I can clean about 350 .45 cases in it at a time.  I clean a couple loads of cases during the week, so the work is spread out, and doesn't seem like too much. The separator works just fine, but the crank handle that's included sucks donkeys 24/7...I just stopped using it, and push the thing around in circles like its a basketball or something.  Other than that, I have no complaints, but I've only cleaned about 2000 cases so far.

Every component from Midway is smaller than the Dillon equivalent, which was important to me because I live in an apartment, and most of my reloading stuff has to fit in a closet.  

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Midway has pleasantly surprised me...I dropped them an e-mail on the deceased tumbler and they are standing behind it...after over a year.

They gave me an RMA # and the assurance if it can be fixed, it will be and if not, a new one will be sent to me.

A winning deal regardless, though I will still look for a Dillon...

So, what does one ask for when one goes to the pet store for media?

I asked at my favorite pet store the other day for ground corn cob or walnut shells and the young blonde lass behind the counter looked at me like I had a third eye in my forehead.  She asked me what it was for and pointed me toward a local sporting goods store.

At least if I knew which dept to look in that would help.  I looked in the bird section and the cat/dog sections but no joy.

Just recently got a Berry's Mfg tumbler and their new media separator.  So far I've been very happy. 1000 9mm cases fit no problem. It is also pretty darn quiet in comparison to the lyman I have used.  I got the whole package deal which included the tumbler, rotary media separator, 5gal bucket, 6lbs of corn cob and brass polish.

The media separator is awesome! I really like how it has a top and bottom. I don't get any dust using it.

J.R.