Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet tumbling from G34 KKM Bayou reloads

1eyedfatman

I'm new to reloading and have been experiencing some tumbling in my G34 gen 4 with a KKM barrel. My load is Bayou 147gr coated bullets, Titegroup 3.0, 1.145 OAL and mixed range brass. At first I thought it may have been how I was reloading (crimp amount, Lee factory crimp die, etc.). But now I'm not sure. Maybe its the combination of the bullet and the KKM barrel. At the range tonight, I tried my adjusted rounds (liter crimp, OAL 1.145 instead of 1.140)…I liked the 135PF I was getting, but the holes at 15yards showed many with a grease ring which was slightly oval instead of a nice circle grease ring. The range let me try a few shots with one of their newer Walter PPQ 9mm's just to compare and the grease rings were perfect circles at 15yards. Someone once said something about having a bur in my barrel…I didn't know what they meant at the time. Also, on another thread someone mentioned the twist rate of the KKM barrel may be suited for liter bullets. Anyboday have any thoughts?

Edited by 1eyedfatman

I'd be very careful with a .5gr bump with TG considering you are already at 135pf w/ 3.0grs. I'm certainly not the expert reloader on the forum, but fast powders can cause pressure spikes when loaded near/at/above max, especially with heavy bullets.

3.6 grains is a Hodgdon published load for TiteGroup with OAL at 1.100" for a jacketed bullet and the OP is running OAL at 1.145" with a coated bullet. There won't any issues with that.

I talked with KKM at some length today. I have a plan A and plan B.

Plan A - switch out the Lee FCD with my Dillon crimp die and take a lite crimp to make sure my lead bullet is not being compressed during the loading process. I could very well not have my dies setup correctly or could be reducing the size of the bullet which does not match well with that barrel.

Plan B - try a different bullet.

Call Donnie Miculek and ask him about your load.

Yep, I checked a week or 2 ago with Donnie. I believe he said be careful I'm not over crimping with that Lee and reducing the diameter of the bullet. Which being the rookie reloader that I am, that's totally possible. I switched back to the Dillon crimp die tonight and loaded several rounds for tomorrow night's match. I also did a major cleaning of my pistol and barrel with a barrel brush. I'll see tomorrow if the grease rings look any better.

Have you done a "plunk" test in your barrel, are you possibly pushing into the barrel and causing a set-back when you chamber a round?

3.5gr will probably be safe, as I ran up to 3.6 when I was testing PF/velocity. It did not increase much from 3.4 to 3.6, but I am also running a shorter OAL than you.

I've posted about this on another thread, but I discovered Bayou Bullets were giving me issues. Once loaded, about 15-20% won't fit in the chamber due to it being oversized at the bullet base. Running it though a Lee FCD solved the problem, but ruined accuracy. I was getting 18" groups at 25 yards with tumbling bullets. I haven't made the phone call to Donnie yet, but I will.

I've posted about this on another thread, but I discovered Bayou Bullets were giving me issues. Once loaded, about 15-20% won't fit in the chamber due to it being oversized at the bullet base. Running it though a Lee FCD solved the problem, but ruined accuracy. I was getting 18" groups at 25 yards with tumbling bullets. I haven't made the phone call to Donnie yet, but I will.

Which gun, OAL, powder? I never seen any issues with Bayou bullets

It happens all the time. If you have a barrel that is much over .355 and you run a loaded .356 bullet through an FCD some of them will re-size the bullet to .354 and then your accuracy goes all to hell. It has nothing to do with the quality of the bullets but all to do with the size of the carbide ring in the bottom of the FCD. It all goes back to: If your case has a bulge in it get it out before loading a bullet into it not after.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Glock 35 with KKM barrel, 1.125 OAL, Titegroup.

I'm reloading in a D 650 with all stock dies. My crimp is set so a pulled bullet shows the barest of marks (I did that by crimping only until it would chamber and adding 1/8th of a turn).

Glock 35 with KKM barrel, 1.125 OAL, Titegroup.

I'm reloading in a D 650 with all stock dies. My crimp is set so a pulled bullet shows the barest of marks (I did that by crimping only until it would chamber and adding 1/8th of a turn).

Try running them in your OEM barrel.

After switching back to the Dillon crimp die, I didn't notice tumblers Saturday. Not saying everything is perfect. Still need to confirm accuracy and longer shots.

As others mentioned, your Lee FCD was likely swaging the bullets causing the accuracy issues.

For what it's worth... I'm using Bayou Bullets 147gr, 3.3gr of Titegroup, ~C.O.L. is 1.240, Winchester primers, and assorted range brass. I use a XL650 with Dillon's dies and crimp just enough to take the bell out of the bullet. So basically hardly any crimp at all.

That combo shoots straight and nice tight groups (no pun intended) out of my 34 Gen 4, my XDm, and a Beretta 92fs.

Coach.

I doubt the OEM barrel would solve the problem of the cartridges not going into battery, but I'll give it a try. The accuracy I get from the non-Factory Crimp Die rounds is acceptable, but when I have to chamber check each round and run 15-20% through a single stage press to create usable but inaccurate rounds, the process becomes untenable.

Most aftermarket barrels are short chambered and have to be finished reamed to fit your particular loads, that's why the OEM barrel may run better. And unless the aftermarket barrel is fitted, it won't be anymore accurate than OEM. The only real advantage is shooting lead because it's much easier to clean.

For what it's worth... I'm using Bayou Bullets 147gr, 3.3gr of Titegroup, ~C.O.L. is 1.240, Winchester primers, and assorted range brass. I use a XL650 with Dillon's dies and crimp just enough to take the bell out of the bullet. So basically hardly any crimp at all.

That combo shoots straight and nice tight groups (no pun intended) out of my 34 Gen 4, my XDm, and a Beretta 92fs.

Coach.

Coach, isn't COL (which I take to be same as OAL) 1.240 kinda long? I thought the max most where going to for Glock 9mm was 1.160. Did you mean 1.1240? And what is your velocity and/or power factor?

Ah... I don't have the book with me, too lazy to walk out to the garage, but yes. My average overall length is 1.240. That's using a caliper that I picked up at my local Harbor Freight so it's probably not the most accurate. They fit in the magazine with just a little room to spare. My Competition Chronograph has them running a little North of 135 power factor last time I checked. Can't tell you what the velocity is running. I don't have any issues with getting them to chamber or clearing the round. I case gauge my rounds by dropping them in the barrel. If I turn it upside down and the round falls out, we're good. I'll double check again, but like I said I'm using that with an XDm, 92fs and 34 Gen 4. So far they all shoot these loads really well.

Coach.

Ah... I don't have the book with me, too lazy to walk out to the garage, but yes. My average overall length is 1.240.

Coach.

Better get a photo of that reading. Here is a 9mm at 1.125" OAL with the dial caliper set at 1.240" That's far to long to fit in the magazine or chamber. Next is the caliper set at 1.240" showing bullet and case, not enough bullet to hang onto.

image36939.jpg

image36940.jpg