Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers with Light Springs in Production Shadow?

Smitty79

I've shot about 10k CCI SPP and some Remington and Winchester. CCI SPP's seem to be creeping back up in price and I'm not finding them as easily as I used. to. Federal are either expensive or hard to find or both.

What do all of you think of Magtech and S&B SPP's? How do they compare in hardness? I have my Shadow with an 11.5# main spring. Goes bang 100% on CCI. I don't want to go harder than that.

I've heard Magtech may be a touch softer than CCI. Will Magtech and S&B likely go "bang" with my current set up? Any chance they will work with an 8.5# spring?

We've tested both the 8.5 and the 11.5... in our cz's

8.5 Fed's only!

11.5 (meets the 5# ipsc trigger pull rule) ran great with Win / CCI / Fed duh

A couple of failures with S&B... one is all it takes for me

Get a few and try... it's the only way to really know.

I did some testing with primers and mainsprings about three weeks ago. I'm shooting a SP01 and a 75B both with CGW extended firing pins, CZ custom hammers and polished everything. The results were the same with both pistols.

#8.5 mainspring

CCI: light strike every time would ignite on the second hit

Wolf/ WPA: about 90% light strike would ignite on the second hit. All first round ignitions came form being fired in double action.

Federal: 100 % ignition in both pistols.

#11.5 mainspring

CCI, Wolf/WPA, Federal: All fire first strike and have good looking firing pin indents.

I haven't tested any other primers or heavier mainsprings and I have about 10k federal primers on hand and If I had to switch to my CCI primers I Know my pistols are reliable with the 11.5# mainspring. Also I was getting some slight cratering with my 165 grain and Titegroup loads and deep firing pin indents, so I think with the 13# mainspring I run the chance of piercing the primer.