Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking up my new Stock II 10mm

TheRook

Greetings all,

I will be picking up my new (first Tanfoglio) Stock II 10mm from my FFL tonight, and I have a few questions. I've read through most of the posts on the sprinco and Henning recoil options, but most of them seem to be a few years old.

I was wondering if anyone had recent feedback about which one they prefer - Sprinco recoil reduction or Henning cone guide rod. I will be shooting a mix of handloads and factory in varying power levels. How have these systems held up over time? Will the Henning system allow the greatest flexibility with varying loads?

Also, what is involved in swapping to .40? Do I need the entire top end, or just barrel and magazine?

Thank you all for your help, and I look forward to my first Tanfo!

J

I use the Sprinco system for true 10mm loads as Nealio recommended. I use the Henning guide rode for lesser loads. I shoot a .40 loaded to 10mm length. The cartridge is supposed to headspace on the case mouth and the throat (in my pistol) is long enough to clear the ogive of the bullet at 10mm lengths. Loading a .40 into a 10mm chamber will have your cartridge being located by the extractor (I think) and while it should fire I'm not certain how accurate it would be. Also if the cartridge slips past the extractor you may get a jam.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same gun. You can load 10mm to .40 specs and the recoil is incredibly light.

That said, I changed the grips to aluminum and put a Hennings SA trigger and guide rod in it.

I was curious about loading 40's long and shooting in the 10mm. Glad to hear its being done. How reliable has it been with the 40's?

Firerarms, Parts and Accessories

I have the same gun. You can load 10mm to .40 specs and the recoil is incredibly light.

That said, I changed the grips to aluminum and put a Hennings SA trigger and guide rod in it.

I was curious about loading 40's long and shooting in the 10mm. Glad to hear its being done. How reliable has it been with the 40's?

www.suncoastarmory.com

I believe he is saying he is loading 10mm casings with light, .40 loads. I don't know that using .40 casings in your 10mm would be successful due to the headspacing.

www.suncoastarmory.com

I believe he is saying he is loading 10mm casings with light, .40 loads. I don't know that using .40 casings in your 10mm would be successful due to the headspacing.

After re reading, I believe you are correct. I was initially thinking 40 specs and length.

There were a few reports of 40sw out of 10mm barrels. From memory, it's doable... but the case is just being held by the extractor and issues can result. Probably best to use the right equipment!

Yeah you can shoot .380 out of a 9mm, .40 out of a 10mm, .45 GAP out of a .45 ACP, etc but its not a great idea. Plus all the times I've seen this done the accuracy was amazingly horrible. I didn't think a pistol could shoot that bad, but its probably because the bullet is jumping into the rifling and may not be 100% square when it engages the rifling. Plus you are floating the bullet past a sharp ridge where the case headspaces on which can deform or change the bullet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies! I've traveling for work and haven't had time to shoot it yet. Trying to locate Longshot or #9 powder has been an exercise in futility, however I purchased some armscorp 10mm to pop its cherry, so to speak. I also purchased the Sprinco Recoil Reducer and the Wolff XP spring pack.

I loaded the magazine to feel the loaded weight, and the mag failed to eject. It appears the sides of the magazine are bulging due to the rounds, and it is scraping the sides of the mag well. Is this common? Do aftermarket mags resolve this issue?

Regarding the .40 barrel, I did not see this available for order on the EAA site. Is this something I need to contact them to special order?

I don't shoot a 10mm but should a 38 super open gun running a 124gn bullet at nearly 1400fps so it's a fairly stout load. I've used both standard guide rod and springs, sprinco (the beauty of the sprinco is you still use 'regular' recoil springs as the primary spring and can tune as needed) and finally henning rod with wolf springs.

Recently i'm favoring the henning rod with wolf 10.75lb spring over the sprinco and 9lb spring I was using. Feel between them is actually quite similar, both were super reliable but I don't know that I felt any massive gain from the sprinco so I switched back purely as the guide rod is a simpler system.