Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold, or Zero 125gr FMJ

George

Looking to change to a FMJ from JHP in my 9x21 major match load. Looking at the Zero 125gr FMJ and the Montana Gold FMJ and CMJ 125’s. The price difference isn’t a big issue and my reading shows loyal fans of all and no real detriments. Any really noticeable plus to the CMJ (a lot cleaner burning, etc.)?

I will be launching it 1380fps from a Barsto re-barreled Glock. I would probably go for the one with the pointier ogive just for mag basepad clearance reasons, but can’t tell which one meets that profile from the scanty dimensional info on the mfgr. websites.

Any and all info/suggestions are welcome.

BTW, I am going with a .38 super bullet in .356 diameter here because I am safely using that diameter JHP in the same gun already and it would have the benefit of being a useable component in my .38 stupor racegun.

Thanks,

Thanks Vince, I also have some old 135’s from way back when (CP I think), but I want to stay with a 124-125 to really rock the ports in the bbl. Heck, I would be using a 115 if I thought it was a safe thing to do at the OAL I have to use in the Glock platform.

--

Regards,

Guest Larry Cazes

If accuracy is a priority, I think you may be making a mistake. I would suggest buying a sample and seeing how they shoot first. 5 shot groups are quite a bit smaller in both of our .38super open guns with MG JHPs than zero FMJs.

Hi Larry, the reason I am making a switch from JHP is due to feeding problems with the JHP tips dragging a little on the plastic fronts of the Glock mags I have. I was running cool with JHP’s for a while until the fronts of the mags got a little rough right at the top and now, even with occasional smoothing it is no longer giving me 100% function with JHP. I had a few old RN FMJ 135’s and tried them, function went back to 100%. So it is basically the profile that I need and I will trade some accuracy for 100% function again.

Getting all new Glock tubes is not really an option;-)

Thanks,

I think "good" and "bad" have a lot more to do with matching the bullet diameter to whatever your bore happens to be. That said, MG's seem to run about .0005" under their specified dimensions, no matter what caliber you're shooting. (I think it's because brass has more springback than copper and they're using dies designed to form copper jackets.) Fresh barrels and barrels that are tighter than average seem to shoot MG's really well. Extraordinarily well.

Barrels that have some miles on them, like mine, don't seem to shoot MG's for crap.

So far the MG gets a few knocks and the copper clad Zeros don’t. Sounds like they will get the nod for an initial test to see if they cut the mustard. I figured a few opinions would help me make a better informed choice for an initial test purchase. I will be calling Zero Monday and while I am on the line I will ask about the JSP option.

I may just call both (MG & Zero) and see if they will sell me some 250 piece samples for testing.

Thanks all,

Geoff,

My 38 Super which has about a bzillion rounds through it shoots the Montana Gold 115 grain JHP better than any other bullet I've ever tried and I have tried a bunch of them. Group size at 25 yards is literally half the size of any other bullet.

I have not shot any of the Montana Gold FMJs so I would recommend just buying a small sample of each and trying them because as we all know:

"All guns are different and Your Mileage may Vary!"

Nolan