Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel movement?

3djedi

How much barrel movement is normal? Or should there not be any? If I put my thumb over the tip (Crown?) of the barrel I can wiggle it around a little in the slide. If I push down on the hood of the barrel it doesn't move but if I push on the side of it (where it has the caliber markings) it will move slightly.

By comparison I have an sti 1911 and there is absolutely zero movement. Even in my glocks the barrels seem to lock up tighter than this new witness elite.

I have been less than impressed with the 25 yard groupings with the gun. Just keeping a group in the A zone has been a challenge. I thought it was me getting used to the gun but after finding the barrel wiggling around I'm not sure. I had a witness elite awhile back and I can remember being able to shoot headbox 25y shots without much problem. My glock 35 is more accurate at this point.

Can anybody give me some advice on this matter? Any input, including saying "you're an idiot the gun is fine. It's your trigger control!" would be appreciated.............

Oh, the gun is brand new has about 200 rounds on it........

Sounds like you have a barrel fitment issue. I have an elite limited and it is very accurate. I had a stock 1 that was the most accurate semi-auto I've every owned. Both of these guns have or had the cone/bull barrel and the barrel to slide fit was very good. The slide to frame fit may not be very good but if the barrel locks up tight, accuracy can be good.

I have only put 10 rounds down my limited gun and those were into a berm to see if my oal would work in the mags. I haven't actually gotten to test it out for accuracy or chrono yet but I will check my barrel fit when I get home to see where it's at.

I took it to a local gunsmith. I didn't get to talk to said gunsmith though. The guy at the front took the pistol to the shop where the smith was. A few minutes later he came back up and said "there is an issue with the barrel fit".

Now the question is since the gun is brand new should I call who I bought it from (oakhill) or should I call EAA. And should I remove all the Henning parts before sending it in?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I would call eaa as oak hill is just a distributer. Yes, I would put all factory parts back in if it was me.

My barrel seems fine fyi....but can you post a video of what yours does?

Edited by Prov1x

I can try later tonight. I don't think my camera phone would pick up anything noticeable......

I'll take everything out except for the hammer spring. That's too much work man. Lol

The lady at EAA was very nice and apologetic and said they would definitely fix it. She also said she never heard of a barrel fit issue before.

The lady at EAA was very nice and apologetic and said they would definitely fix it. She also said she never heard of a barrel fit issue before.

Yeah, right ... never heard of it. :rolleyes:

Well, it is fairly uncommon. Hope they get it turned around quick.

I can try later tonight. I don't think my camera phone would pick up anything noticeable......

I'll take everything out except for the hammer spring. That's too much work man. Lol

Well it looks like they are trying to get you taken care of so that's great. Try to video it if you can but for sure keep us updated on the outcome.

I have 3 slides for my limited. 10mm is very tight. (Original gun) it shoots very accurately. Had .40 conversion fitted. Slide to frame fit is tightest. Barrel play is just a little. It shoots well, but not as well as 10mm.

My moral is that most everyone judges the gun by the slide to frame fit, but the accuracy is the tightness of the lock up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made a quick video of the barrel play. Do you think this is enough slop to cause accuracy issues?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu8ra7847ymz3jt/20150322_020625.mp4?dl=0

This only works for people with a Dropbox account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Click on continue without signup, then go up to download and do download direct. Worked for me.

3djedi, that looks about normal for all my production pistols. I do have a Taurus with a custom fitted barrel bushing that has zero play, but the others all have at least a little play. I don't notice any decrease in accuracy, but I'm not all that good of a shot either.