Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did anyone see the CNN show on 50 BMG ?

I was watching CNN and on comes Paula Zahn doing a show about how some US Rep wants to ban civilian ownership of 50 BMG rifles.

Anywaythe guy doing the story, Drew Griffin, flies to Texas, aranges to buy one private party ( non-FFL to non-FFL) with cash and get's back on an airplane and flies home with the gun. I'm not sure where home was for him but CNN says he's based in Georgia.

My Q is, did he break the law? I was not aware that you could go to TX or any other state for that matter, and buy a shotgun or rifle from a non-FFL and take it back home.

Just went through a similar situation. Buyer was two states away so I delivered the rifle to his FFL.

Interstate purchase has to go through an FFL in the buyers home state unless the state is contiguous and state law allows such a transaction.

This is according to the GCA. Someone whom is more in the know might want to chime in.

He absolutely did. The 1968 GCA specifically forbade interstate commerce in arms between individuals. If this actually occurred, This Drew Griffin character, the rifles seller, and I'd say CNN are all resposible- I say CNN because they facillitated the transaction. I reeeeaally hope someone from BATFE picked up on that program.

The most we can hope for from the ATFE is a stern lecture. What bureaucrat wants to be seen as punishing an innocent member of the press, who was simply tryng to warn us of the eeevils of guns? More likely, they know CNN would go to the mat legally, and exhaust the ATFE budget for the case, fighting any punishments. All the while milking it for all the publicity it was worth.

The most we can hope for from the ATFE is a stern lecture. What bureaucrat wants to be seen as punishing an innocent member of the press, who was simply tryng to warn us of the eeevils of guns? More likely, they know CNN would go to the mat legally, and exhaust the ATFE budget for the case, fighting any punishments. All the while milking it for all the publicity it was worth.

Yet, if Joe Bagodonuts did the exact same thing, methinks his life would be getting much more difficult in the near future.

I caught this one tonight while I was at work. They said specifically that it was an inside the state sale. While they did not say where he flew to they did say state resident to state resident. That would make it a legal sale.