Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Simmons Pro-Diamond...BENNY!?

stockton

I am looking at getting a Simmons Pro-Diamond for the TX State 3-gun mainly due to Benny's recommendations on this forum. My question is has anybody tried the 32mm ILLUMINATED model? I know you give up some FOV, but I am trying to figure out if the illumination is good for daylight and would of more benefit than bigger FOV since even the 32mm ILLM model looks like it has pretty good FOV.

Benny, pleaase chime in and tell me what to do...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just wanted to make sure i'm looking at the right optic. the recommendation is the Simmons ProDiamond 1.5-5x20mm shotgun scope model #899608

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/page12/SimmonsPage12.html

is this right?

it is designed for turkey hunting w/ a shotgun?

also, is there a recommendation of how to mount the scope?

If you have the regular flat top use either the std warne rings with a riser or the Rock River 1 piece mt. or the extra hi warne rings. If you have a flat top with the built in riser use the std. warne rings. You can also use weaver see thru rings but they are not very strong.-----Larry

On the 32mm, the field of view sucks.

What he said! I've had both in hand and 20mm is way to go.

I also got a lit reticle version in my hand at a Galyans/Dicks Sporting goods. I was wondering if the lit reticle might act a bit like a dot on the hose'em stages. It washed out completely in the light of the store, so I held no hope of even seeing red in the daylight :blink: It seems it's made for hunting turkeys in the dusk! Oh the nerve ..... lol.

While I'm here, I found a Luepy 1-4x. I was curious if the true 1X would make it any faster. It was ~260 at another local Dicks.

In the store, it appeared very bright. Of course it doesn't have the diamond (which I've really grown to like!). Even cranked down to 1x, it still seemed to mag a little? Also, I don't think I'd be any better 2 eyed shooting as my instore rifleless handling seemed to have my eyes pointing at slightly different points (I couldn't cofocus on the same spot).

Maybe I'll "buy" it and mount it lightly on my rifle and see if it fares any better sitting actually on the rifle. I think their return policy is pretty good, but I don't know if I'll bother as I really do like the Simmons quite a bit.

Been lurking here for a while. Saw the posts about the Simmons ProDiamond in 20mm objective to be used for fast acqusition - 73' FOV is pretty impressive.

However, I was wondering what you all thought of the following:

Bushnell Banner 1-4x32, Circle X reticle, 78.5' FOV at 100 yards, 25' FOV on 4x with a 4.3" eye relief.

Also:

Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32, Circle X reticle, 73' FOV at 100 yards, 30' FOV at 4x with a 4.1" eye relief.

While I'm here,  I found a Luepy  1-4x.  I was curious if the true 1X would make it any faster.  It was ~260 at another local Dicks. 

In the store,  it appeared very bright.  Of course it doesn't have the diamond (which I've really grown to like!).  Even cranked down to 1x,  it still seemed to mag a little?

Those Leupolds are actually 1.6X at the low end. They are not true 1X's. It looks like the only true 1X Leupolds are the Mark4 CQ/T's.

Simmons should sponsor Benny. :P

I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding. I don't have the ability to check them each out.

On paper, it seems that the Banner is the best for my needs. 1x-4x, I like the Circle X reticle, and it has a 78.5' FOV at 1x and 25' at 4x

Bushnell makes good optics.

Next it would seem the Trophy is nice - Circle x reticle, 73' FOV at 1.75x, 30' at 4x, with a 4.1" eye relief.

The Simmons . . . well, it has a 76' FOV at 1x, which is good. And a 23.5' FOV at 5x, which is pretty nice considering it is 5x instead of 4x.

Does the Simmons really have better clarity, contrast, light gathering, etc. vs. the Bushnell?