Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 load

wingnut

There are like a million options

I use 24.5gr of Tac, under 68gr Hornady BTHP, at 2.260, using Remington 7 1/2 primers in LC brass. It makes 2840fps out of 18" Nordic barrel. It matches the Razor HD's II's Miculek reticule out 500 yards or so.

Or at least it does for me.

edited to fix the primers to one that actually exists.

Also note this load is in 5.56 land, .223 load maxes out at 24.4

Edited by Vlad

24 gr X-Terminator

55 gr Hornaday FMJBT

CCI #41 primers

Mixed brass

~2950 fps out of a 16" mid-gas

Still working on this load. Ideally, I'd like to push it up towards XTAC velocities (~3050 fps). I've used a fair bit of the XTAC/XM193 and it's been a reasonable performer for me. But - most stuff is 300 yds or less and limited wind.

Currently working on a 69 gr SMK load using AR-Comp and 8208 for longer range and windier conditions.

Federal AR match primers

H335 - 24.5gr

55gr Hornady FMJBT

Range Brass

Its cheap. 3-4" group at 300 yards. Probably could tune it a little, but its blaster ammo. 18" 1:8 twist barrel. No idea on velocity, Im guessing 3100 fps.

I use cci 400 small rifle primers. Hodgdon h322 powder nd hornady 55gr fmjbt. Beyond 300 is when things get interesting.

In a good or bad way past 300? I have about 12lbs of H322 and am about to start working up a new load since I finally used up all of my AA2230.

.............. working up a new load since I finally used up all of my AA2230.

Welcome to the club.

I've not seen AA2230 available for more than a year. And when I did, I bought every pound they had.

Now I'm working up loads with IMR 8208xbr with similar results to the 2230 but seeing some signs of high pressure (flat primers) at well below the loading manual max weights.

With 55's it is pretty bad beyond 300. But I haven't tried h322 in any of my heavy loads as I have always used varget for those.

That's discouraging to hear. I've got that, H335, TAC, & CFE Rifle to try to find a replacement for the 2230. I'd rather just find some 2230 though...

With 55's it is pretty bad beyond 300. But I haven't tried h322 in any of my heavy loads as I have always used varget for those.

That's discouraging to hear. I've got that, H335, TAC, & CFE Rifle to try to find a replacement for the 2230. I'd rather just find some 2230 though...

Its not the powder that makes it bad its the bullet. 55 gr fmj bt does not have a great bc and if you plan on shooting beyond 300 I would reccomend at least a 69 gr hpbt 75 or 77 gr is even better. I zero my rifle for my long range stuff and my 55 gr stuff is always within an inch or 2. Which is good enough to ring steel out to 300 yards.

Most people I've talked to shoot 55gr bullets, they're cheaper, and whatever primer and powder they can get their hands on.

There are so many options, and opinions, out here and not just one right answer.

Most everyone has a "pet" load but currently we just can't buy what we want whenever we want it. :(

You may want to see what's available locally, to save on Haz. Matt., and work your way up from there.

Its not the powder that makes it bad its the bullet. 55 gr fmj bt does not have a great bc and if you plan on shooting beyond 300 I would reccomend at least a 69 gr hpbt 75 or 77 gr is even better. I zero my rifle for my long range stuff and my 55 gr stuff is always within an inch or 2. Which is good enough to ring steel out to 300 yards.

I like that approach.

What range and bullet weight do you zero for?

After that you then see were your 55grs are hitting for close, hosier stages and 100+ targets?

Thanks for any more info.

I've been shooting my 55 FMJBTs w/ AA2230 out past 300 for the past two seasons in 3 gun and it has worked well for me. I was hitting Larue's at last years Fallen Brethren at 550. I like to run one bullet vs. having 55s and 69/77s but that's not to say I won't try something different and work up some different loads with a heavier bullet.

I like that approach.

What range and bullet weight do you zero for?

After that you then see were your 55grs are hitting for close, hosier stages and 100+ targets?

Thanks for any more info.

I zero my 300 dot in my bdc reticle with my heavy loads which is currently a max charge of varget under a hornady 68gr hpbt. Then collect data on 300 and in on mg 55gr loads. If there isn't much wind 55's can do ok but if it is a flasher it can be tough to call hits as the 55 loses so much KE after 300. I am switching to 75gr hornady AMAX's after I shoot these up.zeroing at 300 makes my 4, 5, and 600 yard marks closer which I prefer over having my 100 dead nuts and having to hold off target.

I've been shooting my 55 FMJBTs w/ AA2230 out past 300 for the past two seasons in 3 gun and it has worked well for me. I was hitting Larue's at last years Fallen Brethren at 550. I like to run one bullet vs. having 55s and 69/77s but that's not to say I won't try something different and work up some different loads with a heavier bullet.

I like the heavier bullet for bucking wind. 55's get pushed around too easily after 300. They just lose too much KE. I only use my heavy bullets for maybe 3 matches a year and maybe 100 rounds total. All the local stuff I shoot only goes to 300 and I shoot my 55's for that.

I zero my 300 dot in my bdc reticle with my heavy loads which is currently a max charge of varget under a hornady 68gr hpbt. Then collect data on 300 and in on mg 55gr loads. If there isn't much wind 55's can do ok but if it is a flasher it can be tough to call hits as the 55 loses so much KE after 300. I am switching to 75gr hornady AMAX's after I shoot these up.zeroing at 300 makes my 4, 5, and 600 yard marks closer which I prefer over having my 100 dead nuts and having to hold off target.

Are you planning to shoot the 75g AMAX through an AR-15? Do you plan to shoot these in single shot mode?

Yes and no you can seat them to 2.260 with no problems.

Well, I imagine you can set them to 2.260, but I don't believe that is optimum for that particular bullet, particularly in light of other 75g and 77g BTHP alternatives.