Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Fireball from breach

nkrustev

Hi guys,

I noticed something pretty weird. Every once in a few (maybe 20) rounds a rather large and somewhat distracting fireball appears from the breach of my shotgun. It also happened to a different gun.

Mine is a Benelli M1 and my friends gun is a Benelli M2.

I would think it is the ammo but wanted to hear your oppinion.

Is it normal? What is it due to? Should I consider changing the ammo?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

here is the video:

The ammo is Trust 28gr. 7 1/2 bird shot 12 gauge.

http://www.cartuchostrust.com/en/cartridges/competition/#trust-trap-1-28

Nothing has been done to the action. The recoil spring was changed to a Wolff reduced power recoil spring but the same effect was observed in a brand new untouched Benelli M2.

What would you think the potential danger can be?

Edited by nkrustev

Incomplete combustion. 1346 ft/sec on a slightly less than one ounce load. They are moving.

That fireball next to my face would be very distracting. How filthy is that barrel after shooting some of those loads?

Maybe they should have used magnum primers, but didn't. Coated powder to cut down the flash effect would be nice too.

The barrel is really not that dirty. Definitelly not clean but I have seen dirtier. I clean the gun about once every 400 rounds when I usually notice the bolt carrier starts moving a bit harder.

And yes, it is the cheapest round I could find :)

The barrel is really not that dirty. Definitelly not clean but I have seen dirtier. I clean the gun about once every 400 rounds when I usually notice the bolt carrier starts moving a bit harder.

And yes, it is the cheapest round I could find :)

The shotshell maker did not seem to match the components well. Do you guys still have any eyebrows?

Edited by Yeti

I get the occasional flame and sparks out of the ejection port of my 2 stock VM shotguns.

I'm left-handed and get hit in the face by what I can only describe as still-burning powder occasionally.

Ammo is Federal and Winchester bulk pack 1-1/8 oz, 3 dram from the Wal(mart).

My 1100's don't do this.

The Benellis are essentially delayed blowbacks, and the VM gas ports are right up on the chamber, maybe contributing to quick opening.

The 1100's gas port is farther down the barrel and is what I consider to be conventionally gas-operated (locked breech).

Interesting issue.

ericm

Very common with cheaper ammo and cheaper hulls especially with European ammo and powders. I don't think that "fireball" is that spectacular....The English load called "Clear Pigeon" does double that and is clearly seen in bright sun light. ALL semi auto shotguns will do this to some degree. I notice you are shooting indoors which makes it much more noticeable than out in ambient light. This isn't just a shotgun thing, many guns with a larger bore and semi auto function will exhibit this. The old Bofors designs like the M2A1 found in the M42 Duster would do this as well as the old Bofors anti-aircraft cannons of WWWII fame like on battle ship[s and aircraft carriers. So will the 25MM Bushmaster cannon.

Long story short, It isn't a gun problem in the least and as long as you wear eye protection your fine! Just look up any big batch of pictures from European shotgun championships or World Shotgun, and you will see a bunch of pictures of flame at the ejection port. I recall one great shot of a huge "fireball" coming from a Molot mag fed shotgun!