Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Aluminum carrier

triggerman300

???? I have one of the original aluminum carriers circa 1999 in my first J.P. rifle John sent me. The Gold anodized ones. It has around 9,000 rounds on it of full powered ammo, fully gassed, not choked down at all. it is still in great shape and still functions perfectly. When I first got it I realized that it was a racing part and as such would require more maintenance than a steel carrier. I run NECO molly paste in the cam pin slot and on the cam pin. Every stage I would put a drop of oil in the bolt vent holes. I would never let it go more than 250 rounds before a full cleaning. I would say that 80% of that ammo was XM193 Federal, and 20% my hotter 55 grain Ballistic tip reloads. I would say most definitely it is not made for "low powered gamer loads", but you do have to keep up on your lube and cleaning!

I haven't seen the new ones yet, but I really doubt that John would make something that version 2.0 wouldn't be far better than 1.0.......(just to show that I am tech savy and cool! :lol:)

-25% spring and an empty buffer on the sissy load gun.

The other one, standard loads, I was using a standard carbine buffer, spacer and rifle length standard spring.

Not saying those are the best, just where I ended up after a bit of testing.

Mark, I read a lot of your posts and they are always very well written and full of information. Thank you for your contributions to this forum. I'm a "buy once cry once" kind of guy and I want the best/lightest carrier I can get but I also want a reliable/durable gun. What would you recommend for my application? Gun will be 18" rifle gas, SLR gas block, Jp silent captured spring.

Mark, I read a lot of your posts and they are always very well written and full of information. Thank you for your contributions to this forum. I'm a "buy once cry once" kind of guy and I want the best/lightest carrier I can get but I also want a reliable/durable gun. What would you recommend for my application? Gun will be 18" rifle gas, SLR gas block, Jp silent captured spring.

Since ammunition type seemed to be part of the part wear situation, what ammunition are you planning to use? Really soft 55 grain 223? Some 75/77 grain BTHP match stuff? Other?

For an across the course gun the JP QPQ Low mass carrier. I have one that has been through 5 barrels.

The only thing I am planning on using the AL one for is a short 16" gun on matches with mostly close in targets and very soft ammo.

The only load I shoot is nosler 77gr CC over 23.6gr TAC lit with a CCI #41 primer. Never chrono'd it.

It would depend on what barrel you are running, but I'd say you're between 2600-2700 fps. I run 24gr of TAC and get 2650 out of my 16" gun and 2725 out of my 18" gun using the same bullets.

Been running 2 of them Kurt, one with full power, wear is there after 500 rounds. The other has reduced gas volume and no wear. Just reporting what I see.

Roughly what are we considering reduced gas volume loads to be?

55s at about 2600 fps.

Thx Mark. Weren't some of the pro series guys running some some lighter grain bullets with the boomfab carriers? 40 gr or something in the reduced power loads