Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many times can corncob media be used

Dozens and dozens, with an occasional refreshing with an additive designed specifically for cleaning brass such as Dillon Rapid Polish 290 or as provided by several other manufacturers.

Typically, I replace the media when it begins to darken/discolor significantly or if I observe the grain size beginning to break down.

I've used plain corncob and crushed walnut with and without dillon rapid polish and found it was all sub par. What really works for me is the Lyman green corncob. It's amazing how well it cleans and polishes and how long it lasts. I shoot an average of around 200 rounds per week. When brand new it'll clean a tumbler full of brass in 40-60min! As it gets older the time creeps up. Once it needs 3 hours it's almost done. At that point it's usually more than a year or 10,000 rounds plus. Yes it's more expensive that plain corncob but it cleans better and lasts many many times longer. Try it once. :)

I have two tumblers. Tumbler #1 is for polishing dirty brass prior to reloading, and Tumbler #2 is used for removing case lube from processed .223 brass and live pistol ammo.

Living in the Sonoran Desert, my fired brass picks up course sand and small rocks, and these accumulate in the Tumbler #1 media over time. About once a year I ditch the media from Tumbler #1 (and with it all the sand/rocks), replacing it with the clean-but-greasy media from Tumbler #2, plus a tablespoon full of Dillon polishing compound. Tumbler #2 in turn gets fresh corn cob media (but no polish).

One tip to try: I throw a used clothes dryer sheet in with each lot of brass I tumble. The antistatic additive seems to help the media flow better during emptying/filling, the mesh of the sheet removes assorted detritus from the media (especially trimming swarf), and it makes the media smell nicer :D. Throw the sheet in the trash after each batch.

Edited by StealthyBlagga